March 3rd, 2017
My boss told me to take days off or loose them at the end of the month (we can only carry 10 days over, and I've got 15 left), so today was a day off and spend in the garage. Fitted some more Mikalor clamps and other minor bits that arrived during the week. And then started on the big job ahead... the electrics. Managed to finish the exhaust side, although I am still some connectors short, but the wires are all in.
March 4th, 2017
Put the inlet side wiring in and fitted the new Powervamp Clubsport NP battery and tray. Also changed the oil filter (Mann W77) and filled the engine up with oil (Ford Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W30). Getting closer now...
March 5th, 2017
Started on the scuttle cleanup. Wanted to install a FIA battery cut-off switch instead of the battery cut-off switch I had previously (operating the battery ground), but decided that the current 'switch panel' was already crowded, so decided to create a new one. Took longer than planned due to making a stupid mistake with the cut out required for the FIA switch. Ordered all the battery cables I need, so I can continue that next week.
March 11th, 2017
Received a voicemail yesterday to say that my fuel tank was finished, so after walking the dog, off I went to Armour Fabrications again and collected it, along with a modified exhaust link pipe and a straight filler cap. Upon my return it became quite quickly clear that the link pipe needs a bigger bent, but I did manage to fit the exhaust. Also, the fuel tank filler was put on the position on the rear (above where the old one was), but for my top filler it is too far back. He'd already said to pop round if any tweaks were required, so I'll give him a call Monday to see what can be arranged for Thursday when I've got another day off.
Spend the rest of the day making up new straps from some scrap strips that the fabricator cut for me.
March 12th, 2017
Started on the wiring in the scuttle. Am already so much happier with the result than I ever was last year when I did it.
March 14th, 2017
Last couple of Mikalor clamps arrived in the post today, so finished off the cooling system. Just need to fill it up and check for leaks.
March 15th, 2017
Some minor tidy up jobs around the cooling system whilst Mrs Q prepares dinner.
March 16th, 2017
Up early to visit Armour Fabrication again to have the filler spout moved and my exhaust link pipe amended. Popped round @black st without any notice for a cuppa whilst waiting which just shows that this club has the best members. Arrived home and fitted the exhaust and started to work on the fine tuning of the fuel tank straps. What a nightmare. It only has two straps, one over the short side, one over the long side. Finally managed to get the short side screwed down, but I've re-used the screws that were on the other strap, so need to do some shopping tomorrow first and pick up some self tappers that fit. The spout however sits nicely underneath the cap, so once strapped in, I can finally complete the fuel side of the conversion and get some petrol in!
March 17th, 2017
Continued with electrics. Mounted ECU.
March 18th, 2017
Continued again with electrics. Other than indicator/hazards all circuits completed.
March 19th, 2017
Connected up passenger side front lights. Made some brackets for the top coolant pipe. Fitted long strap over the fuel tank and completed the fuel filler and fuel pump hoses.
March 25th, 2017
Revisited the speed sensor as it could not sense the bolt head and be secure at the same time. Created a Z bracket and now it can. Completed driver side front lights and the hazard/indicator wiring. Filled the car with about 8L mixture of 50/50 Comma SCA5L and Triple QX De-Ionised Water. Ran out of time (and solder!) to finish off the scuttle wiring.
March 30th, 2017
Re-did the dash wiring and finished off scuttle wiring. Time to test! Mixed result. Hazards, indicators and lights all seemed to work, but horn and fan didn't. Re-visited the wiring and got the fan working, but even testing the horn in isolation didn't make any noises. Contacted seller who advised to turn the adjuster screw on it. Will try that tomorrow.
The ECU however appears to be dead. Spend ages measuring and tracing, but none-the-wiser why it doesn't seem to power up. More fun (ahum) tomorrow.
March 31st, 2017
Had some great help from the forums, and most notably a diagram from Mika, aka @Kit Car Electronics, helped me visualise the flow of current and after a good nights sleep I rolled the car out of the garage and paid attention to the ECU connector and ECU relays and I could only come to one conclusion: the green wire is not the ignition live, the white wire is. So I swapped them around and sure enough, switching on the ignition powered up the fuel pump. Pressed the starter button and ...
It runs! The smoke is from the exhaust wrap. It drinks a lot of petrol though, and @black st seems to think it is not running on all cylinders, so more tinkering tomorrow.
Last month: £ 5026.54
This month: £ 613.91
Total: £ 5640.45