Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

That's a bummer but thanks for fighting it.

If nobody objects then they'll never sharpen up their practices, creating ongoing hassle for everyone that comes after (i.e. me :d )

Doug

Congratulations. Always nice to get it out of the way. Took my car to Leighton Buzzard and the tester was very helpful.

Hope to see you abut and about when you get your paperwork sorted. I managed to get an inspector to come out to me from Bicester after my SVA. Things may have changed but might be worth a punt?

Congratulations. Always nice to get it out of the way. Took my car to Leighton Buzzard and the tester was very helpful.

Hope to see you abut and about when you get your paperwork sorted. I managed to get an inspector to come out to me from Bicester after my SVA. Things may have changed but might be worth a punt?

Thanks

I asked if they could inspect at home, and they dont do it anymore :(

Well, tonight is celebration night for getting the car built and through IVA - time to move my bed back into the house :oops:

I spent some time tidying up and sorting out the garage and shed today, which meant I uncovered the BBQ from the depths of storage

So, some nice Rib-Eyes and Mushrooms done over the charcoal. One rare, one medium rare - just resting nicely

SAM_0750.jpg

And something nice to wash it down with

SAM_0751.jpg

Who knows what will be next :p

DVLA will hopefully be, just a diversion, hope you enjoyed the steak and bubbly last night. It is frustrating. Have you pre-empted the need for a certificate of newness/conformity. If you speak with Westfield they will supply one but make sure they don't just resend the last one they saved on their computer, my first one was for a BEC and needed to be re-worded for my XE engined jobbie, bit of another delay. Just let them know the details and it takes a day or so. In reality all you want is to get out in the car, the last few days haven't been good for fuel either. I had to fill up with Tescos sh*te yesterday as the Vpower was all gone. Great really as I work for the makers of all of it locally, surrounded by millions of gallons of the stuff, just a couple of additives I believe is supposed to be the difference, and the weather has turned a bit cloudier as well. It can and will get better.

Enjoy the headache plenty more to come

Bob :d

Do I need that from Westfield on a SDV?

Done a bit of tinkering today

Worked on the scratches on the back of the tub, my arms feel like they are ready to drop off.

Started with wet n dry, 800 grit, then 1200 grit, then 1500 grit, then 2000 grit, then 2500 grit. Followed by some G3, then Carlack scratch remover and Carlack scratch polish. I only worked on one side of the rear of the tub, and there is a marked improvement.

I also decided to check all the jubilee clips on the silicone hoses after the minor coolant leak at the IVA test. They all seemed to have loosened a fair bit - is this normal? Do you need to constantly keep an eye on them for tightness?

Do I need that from Westfield on a SDV?

No. A certificate of newness is only for if the kit was built from all new parts. Otherwise you complete form V627/1.

No. A certificate of newness is only for if the kit was built from all new parts. Otherwise you complete form V627/1.

Thats what I thought, and I have completed the V627/1 :t-up:

Massive congratulations, just read the whole build, must of been a great feeling after the sva :)

Regarding the dubilee clip, no that should not work loose, I would loose that one and put another one on there..

Again top work and a great read

Marc

Edited by sparky21

Massive congratulations, just read the whole build, must of been a great feeling after the sva :)

Regarding the dubilee clip, no that should not work loose, I would loose that one and put another one on there..

Again top work and a great read

Marc

Thanks - just want to drive it now but waiting for DVLA morons!

The jubilee clip was nearly every one on the cooling system seemed to have loosened by a couple of turns, so I will have to monitor them all for a while I think

I have managed to find a solution to the DVLA inspection headache.

In a nutshell, the car is getting inspected in Theale this Thursday, 5th April.

I have managed to borrow a set of trade plates, and a check with DVLA this morning has confirmed that this is acceptable, so I will be driving the car to the inspection under trade plates.

This saves me the cost of transporting the car there, so I have decided to drop the argument and just get on with it.

Its another opportunity to have a run in the car after all :d

That's a clever solution. Never thought of trade plates. Not sure if any old dealer would lend them out, so I'm assuming you know someone in the trade, Gary?

That's a clever solution. Never thought of trade plates. Not sure if any old dealer would lend them out, so I'm assuming you know someone in the trade, Gary?
Yes, dealer I have bought a few cars from over the years for the wife/me. Also I did him a favour a while ago pointing a couple of people his way that got him sales, so it was time to call in the favour ???

Glad you're getting it sorted out. Shame it's over the holiday weekend as the paperwork usually arrives 1 - 2 days after the inspection.