Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

Fingers crossed they know they don't need an inspection!

• Like 1

Tosspots are insisting on an inspection!

Anyone got a trailer I can borrow?

congratulations Gary, thats a great result. bl**** annoying the DVLA clowns wanting an inspection though. Have a look for the thread discussing there no longer being a requirement for a build up inspection after IVA including a link to the VOSA/DVLA website stating the fact. Its ridiculous the number of centres saying "you need an inspection", yet plenty others, myself included where we definitely didn't need the inspection. This should be black & white, not left to the lack of knowledge of the staff member at your particular DVLA centre. Before wasting cash on a trailer, you should pop in and ask to speak to a senior member of staff who is experienced in dealing with kit cars and knows the correct procedure.

Congrats on a first time pass! :t-up::t-up::t-up: Well chuffed for you! DVLA are posstots, no doubt about it, but you shall overcome and hit the road soon! And you better be at Stoneleigh this year, many expectant grandparents of your baby want to see her!

And at long last, Godzilla, the monster from the land where your baby's guts were made, is happy and can dance for you! :t-up::t-up::t-up:

I have asked for a call back from the office manager for the Oxford DVLA Office, to see if I can change their mind :arse:

So, the test report

The brother in law arrived smack on 6.15am as arranged, and we loaded his car with tools, trim, foam, bolt covers, coolant, oil, tow rope etc etc

The temperature was around 2 degrees C when we left. I had 5 layers on and a wooly hat.

The car drove great all the way there, but I did have to stop halfway to warm my hands up for 5 minutes in the pursuit car! The fingers has stopped moving!

Here it is parked up ready for the test

SAM_0739.jpg

So we meet our tester, the doors get opened and I drive the car in. Before getting in the car I noticed a small pool of coolant underneath the nearside front wheel.

When I got it inside, one of the bottom hose joints was leaking. I asked the tester if I could bring my tools in to sort it out, no problem there. A half turn on the jubilee and all was well.

The next problem I had was a comment - "mmm, insulation tape, thats not permanent" and the tester proceeded to remove the protection I had applied to the headlight mounting bracket. "We will have a chat about that later" was the conclusion.

Next was the tape on the rollbar top brackets. Again, "we will have a chat about that later".

Then the spare wheel - "Can you take this off please?". Off with the spacesaver, "Is this the same size as the wheels on the car?" "Where are the speed limit ratings marked on here as it is a spacesaver ? I cannot read these they are Japanese!" He then went onto the top clip, got the sphere out and said this does not conform, and with the wheel off, nor does the carrier. I say, can we have a chat about that later, to which he agrees.

Next the handbrake cover - this did not comply with the radius either. I swiftly pull out an allen key and remove it, try that now? We will have a chat later!

By now, I am still really calm and polite, but thinking I am facing a retest here :cry:

He completed his inspection of the front suspension, then dashboard and interior.

Off with the bonnet, and a good look around the engine bay, check of chassis and plate numbers etc. All quiet.

Then he went to the rear of the car, and checked the raduis on the rollbar covers in the bootbox, mmm, these dont comply either he says. Lets carry on.

Rear lights and indicators/hazards next and horn - all good

Emissions - fine

Headlights - slight tweak on one that the tester did himself, move on he says ;)

Next was the weight check - it has come in at 610kg, not too bad IMO.

Up on the ramps with me sat in it, for some brake pedal work while he checked all the pipework and joins, no problem. A good look round underneath then after a few minutes he appeared again, no problems there mate he says.

Then it was the brake check - the contraption on the foot to check pedal pressure, and lots of note taking. By now it is 10am, and he said I need to go and run the brake figures (tea break I think).

After about 15 minutes, he re-appeared and we moved on to checking the speedo - bang on and as accurate as a mass produced car speedo.

Next up was the noise test. 94 decibels, I thought it was going to be close, but well in.

Then he checked the views from the mirrors. After that he said I need to run it round the yard a few times to check self centering. I had left the pressures at 19psi, as I thought there was evidence of this on the drive over there, so a tense moment.

After a few laps of the yard, he drove it back into the testing bay and called me in.

Right he said, we have 4 hours allocated for the test, and I am all done, and it is only 11am. Lets see what we can do to overcome the issues highlighted earlier. Result :t-up:

First, I removed the spare, undone the carrier frame bolts and pushed it in closer to the body, so that he could not get the sphere in. Happy with that he says.

He then fished out a small plastic bolt cover and put it over the catch at the top of the spare wheel space. Thats ok now he says, happy with all that. :yes:

Then we went the front and looked at the headlight mounts. Some rubber u-trim and cable ties sorted this to an acceptable level. We then hacked about a plastic bolt cover and cable tied this in position to cover the headlight fixing nut. Happy I say? Yep. :t-up:

Then we went to the rear rollbar top bolts, again, u-trim and cable ties. All sorted.

Lastly was the black GRP roolbar trimmers/covers in the bootbox. A bit of work with a file removed a couple of sharpish edges. Then I put a stanley knife through my nice black silicone, undone the fixing bolts, eased the cover away, inserted some u-trim and bolted it all back up. That better? Yes he says.

That just left the handbrake lever - dont worry about that he says.

So I look at him with raised eyebrows, and he says "pack up all your kit, I will go and write the certificate" Oh, what a feeling :d

The tester was a great guy really, very sensible, and happy to offer some guidance on a couple of things that were not fails but would be good practice.

The drive home felt brilliant, and a damn site warmer than the drive there!

Well pleased to get through first time :westy:

bl**** annoying the DVLA clowns wanting an inspection though. Have a look for the thread discussing there no longer being a requirement for a build up inspection after IVA including a link to the VOSA/DVLA website stating the fact.

Calling Aunt Smokey to the boards please!

Got to add my congratulations,well done, its a great feeling isn't it. Don't wory about DVLA thats another smaller battle.

Bob :yes::d

Calling Aunt Smokey to the boards please!

They make up their own rules mate :d and don't read their own guidance notes. Hopefully a polite chat will sort things out since it's not going on a new reg but we'll see.

Well done again Gary, it sounds like you got a very helpful and down to earth tester who wanted you to pass which is great to know.

I have started the battle with DVLA - expecting a call back in the morning. I am playing the "DVLA are not consistent on a national basis with regard to inspections" line with them, saying that other offices do not insist on inspections.

The phone call got fairly heated, I remained polite but firmly insisted upon a senior name that is responsible for all the local offices, which is what I am waiting for.

I do not want to lay out for a trailer, or take another day off really!

They make up their own rules mate :d and don't read their own guidance notes. Hopefully a polite chat will sort things out since it's not going on a new reg but we'll see.

Well done again Gary, it sounds like you got a very helpful and down to earth tester who wanted you to pass which is great to know.

Thanks Mark - he was great, but he did say the fact that I had three boxes of trim, tools etc, and that the car had been well prepared made him feel obliged to help me through the minor issues. He also said If I had rolled up in a bag of trash he would not have bothered!