Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

Sent

Thanks

Just looking at your blog, and you say the car originally failed IVA on emissions - I thought previously you had said that there is no data for IVA to test against?

Even if you can prove the engine age as pre-'95 there's still emissions standards to meet, they're just a lot easier.  FWIW my 1992 engine passed the cat-test limits with ease but IIRC and I'm sure Rick will confirm, his failed emissions due to a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

Pre-1995 Non-cat test

CO

HC

Post 1995 cat test

CO

HC

Lambda 0.97-1.03

Mark is correct. There are still standards that you have to meet. But the post 95 test is a lot stricter.

My car failed due to a faulty fuel pressure regulator which saw my CO2 level at 11.5%. Just a tad over the 3 % allowed.

After correcting the issue and running a cat it passed easily the pre 95 test and passes the post 95 test with a 1.9% CO2 and 189 HC.

Good information, thanks.

So assuming that my engine emits the same as Tig's, how much effect does a CAT have?

Do you think I will need a CAT on the exhaust or not? The exhaust I have with the kit is non-cat

No as far as I was aware that when I IVA'd my car I did not need the cat.

After I went and bought The cat exhaust :(

Met up with Rick tonight and borrowed his engine crane from him, much appreciated mate  :t-up:

Hoping to get the sump tomorrow, which will mean the engine can be pushed on.

As for the engine crane, just listed it on ebay

Clicky

Only kidding  :p

It gets dangerous when you get to look at other peoples Westfields.  You begin to find new and different ways to spend even more money on your own build :D

I'll give you a tenner for the crane :p

It gets dangerous when you get to look at other peoples Westfields.  You begin to find new and different ways to spend even more money on your own build :D

I'll give you a tenner for the crane :p

I agree, very nice car Rick has there, something to aspire to  :)

As for the crane - £10 plus postage £200, it is heavy  ???

Do you think I will need a CAT on the exhaust or not? The exhaust I have with the kit is non-cat

If your engine is pre 95 you don't need the cat for IVA.

On another subject, did your kit come supplied with the flat protection bar to bolt between the fuel tank and the wishbone bolts? I couldn't see it in your photos. It was a modification Westfield made mid last year in response to comments from the IVA testers concerned that the wishbone bolts could puncture the tank in a rear end shunt. I had to phone Westfield to send one out to me (FOC) for my IVA in Nov 2010.

If your engine is pre 95 you don't need the cat for IVA.

On another subject, did your kit come supplied with the flat protection bar to bolt between the fuel tank and the wishbone bolts? I couldn't see it in your photos. It was a modification Westfield made mid last year in response to comments from the IVA testers concerned that the wishbone bolts could puncture the tank in a rear end shunt. I had to phone Westfield to send one out to me (FOC) for my IVA in Nov 2010.

I doubt it very much, as the kit was originally purchased in 2008.

That sounds like a phone call to the parts department tomorrow, thanks for the tip off  :t-up:

how the old mans foot them cranes bite  ??? caterham t shirts only £10.00 if you fancy one  :D

Caterham?  :sheep:

As for the foot - he was still swearing when we got back to his  :angry:

Gary can afford a few t shirts from the sale of that engine crane. ;)

I'll take the credit card now to help you spend you're money on shiny bits if you like haha.

Picked up the modified sump today, a little bit of tidying up to be done around the sump plug area

SAM_0212.jpg

SAM_0211.jpg

Dropped it off at Dads, he has now been working on refurbing the head, had all the valves out and reseated them, I took the opportunity to take a few photos whilst there

SAM_0215.jpg

SAM_0213.jpg

SAM_0217.jpg

SAM_0216.jpg

Brake caliper seal kits arrived today (although some bits missing - packing dangler up), so will be getting on with these with a view to getting the calipers fitted and the car on the ground over the weekend  :D