Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

Exactly the same jobs I'll be doing Monday, and I've had to order those spacers too. I think they're supposed to be salvaged from the Mazda. I can't really remember if they were there or not - it rings a bell though!

FWIW I didn't get them in my kit either :D IIRC I used a stack of thick washers in the end.

Exactly the same jobs I'll be doing Monday, and I've had to order those spacers too. I think they're supposed to be salvaged from the Mazda. I can't really remember if they were there or not - it rings a bell though!

FWIW I didn't get them in my kit either :D IIRC I used a stack of thick washers in the end.

I didn't get them either.  I was told by Westfield Tech that the diff bracket spacers were no longer needed and therefore not supplied anymore.  

I note that Westfield have still not got their act together and the same old bits are missing off the pick list - 7/16 diff bolts, headlight spacers, 6mm brake T peice bolt etc etc.  I wonder if anyone is going to get off their  :arse: and amend the pick list.  How difficult is it to do??

Apologies if you already know this, but while I think of it, don't fit the donor vehicle repeaters on the body as shown in the SDV build guide - they are not IVA compliant. I came within a whisker of punching unnecessary holes in my tub.  Get a pair of the LED cycle wing repeaters instead.  As they are a legal requirement and the kit is supposed to be a complete package, IMHO there is a case for getting these FOC as part of the kit.  I had to pay extra for mine.  

Perhaps they could amend the manual at the same time as the pick list...we can always dream....

I didn't get them either.  I was told by Westfield Tech that the diff bracket spacers were no longer needed and therefore not supplied anymore.  

I note that Westfield have still not got their act together and the same old bits are missing off the pick list - 7/16 diff bolts, headlight spacers, 6mm brake T peice bolt etc etc.  I wonder if anyone is going to get off their  :arse: and amend the pick list.  How difficult is it to do??

Apologies if you already know this, but while I think of it, don't fit the donor vehicle repeaters on the body as shown in the SDV build guide - they are not IVA compliant. I came within a whisker of punching unnecessary holes in my tub.  Get a pair of the LED cycle wing repeaters instead.  As they are a legal requirement and the kit is supposed to be a complete package, IMHO there is a case for getting these FOC as part of the kit.  I had to pay extra for mine.  

Perhaps they could amend the manual at the same time as the pick list...we can always dream....

......but try building a kit from another manufacturer and you will soon realise how good the Westfield is in this department!

They 'should' get it right but in fairness to Westfield they have a very large product range and it probably isn't financially viable for them to have different 'pick lists/bolt packs' for all the different models they sell.

(I would rather them sort the chassis cracking problems than update/have individual pick lists for each model).

A couple of bolts missing is frustrating but nothing much and not worth getting excited over.

Building the kit should be a relaxing hobby not a rush to get it completed. Some other kit manufacturers have you wait six months for major components - remember; even Westfield is a cottage industry.

Building the kit should be a relaxing hobby not a rush to get it completed.

Could not agree more, I am enjoying the challenge  :t-up:

A little progress today, I was hoping the rear metalastic bush spacers would arrive in the post this morning, but they did not  :(  

Anyway, I decided to fit the steering rack.

Both ends cut down and adaptors fitted

SAM_0157.jpg

Fixing brackets and rubber mounts rooted out from stock, and then the rack got fitted.

SAM_0159.jpg

Photobucket

Need to get some new track rod ends in, so will order these over the weekend.

If at first you dont succeed, try again  :D

Managed to get the CV boots onto one of the drive shafts today, so all good. Just need to order another set now to replace the one that split yesterday

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Having been sucessful with the CV boots, I decided to have a look at the steering column arrangement this morning, so dug the bits out.

I marked up the bulkhead, drilled a series of pilot holes to form the circle, and then filed all round to make a nice circle.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then I rigged up the three sections of the column, and it seems to me that the assembly is not long enough  :bangshead:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Is this a common problem guys?

Oh yes!  Add this one to the list of 'rites of passage' that I suspect all Mazda SDV'ers have to go through - if I recall, Smokey, Tig, Deano and I have all been through this hoop.  

The modified shaft is too short.  Bolt the upper column in place on the dash hoop bracket, fit the lower column into the steering rack and the support bracket.  Measure the difference, send the centre column back to Westfield and they'll add a bit on.  Mine was about 30mm short.

I do agree that this should be fun and there's no rush to finish - and I absolutely loved my build (missing it terribly if I'm honest!), but this is a case in point that supports my earlier post.   Why do the chaps at Westfield just say 'send the column when you've identified the correct final measurement'  or at least recognise that there is a problem that can be easily rectified?  It just needlessly stops the flow of an enjoyable afternoon in the garage.

Yep, PITA, I was going well this morning too!

Not sure how receptive Westfield will be, considering the fact that I did not buy the kit from them directly, bought it second hand. What do you think?

Found a couple of M12 8.8 grade 100mm long bolts, so changed the lower balljoint bolts for them, complete with a Nylock nut

Photobucket

No doubt I will be needing those 2 bolts in the future sometime!

Found a couple of M12 8.8 grade 100mm long bolts, so changed the lower balljoint bolts for them, complete with a Nylock nut

They look like the right ones to me, mine were also slightly too long like yours but I think you're missing a washer inder the bolt head ???

Re the steering column, what length is yours at the moment?  I've got one in the garage that's 450mm end to end if any use?

They look like the right ones to me, mine were also slightly too long like yours but I think you're missing a washer inder the bolt head ???

Re the steering column, what length is yours at the moment?  I've got one in the garage that's 450mm end to end if any use?

Good spot Clueso - I forgot to put one on!

Regarding the steering column - just measured mine - 450mm long overall, so same as what you have got spare, thanks for the offer though.

I reckon mine needs to be 480mm long, so an extra 30mm. Is that most peoples experience?

I reckon mine needs to be 480mm long, so an extra 30mm. Is that most peoples experience?

I've double checked the letter I sent to westfield with my column and I asked for 465mm overall.  

It's hard to tell from the photos but it looks like the hole you made in the footwell panel could do with being elongated more towards the outside of the car so the column runs in more of a straight line.

It's not the best picture but you can roughly see the route of my column which is virtually straight and parallel with the chassis rail below it.

IMG_2871.jpg

Here is a better photo of the route.

Photobucket

I reckon this is pretty much as straight as I can get it, as you can see from the next photo, the column at the rack end is fairly tight to the chassis.

Photobucket

That route leaves me 30mm short at steering wheel end

Here is a better photo of the route.

SAM_0174.jpg

You're right :D that's not dissimilar to mine.  I've just remembered where those extra mm came from as my column is fitted like this at the top.

It was shorter and rotated so the ignition barel didn't hit the back of the dash and points downwards so I can get the key in and out.

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

Aha!  ???

So, If I position the column so that the ignition is pointing down like you have yours, I will not need to extend the column - correct?

Just make up a new bracket using some flat steel with an exhaust clamp fixed to it?