Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

Did you see my e-mail the other day regarding crankshaft bearings?

I did & replied - I'm sure it was a PM so check messages.

Damn - still not got my full membership yet, cheque sent, so got no pm facility.......

Did you see my e-mail the other day regarding crankshaft bearings?

I did & replied - I'm sure it was a PM so check messages.

Damn - still not got my full membership yet, cheque sent, so got no pm facility.......

Sorry, in that case it couldn't have been a PM!

I'll check my emails later - just got to go out!

We may be able to help re your bearings.  :t-up:

Right, not updated for a few days, lots of little bits been done.

Firstly, I have got the diff into the chassis complete with rear suspension in place, nothing tight yet.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Also trimmed off the rear metalastic bushes from the Mazda ready to fit, but cannot finish this off as I cannot find the spacers, so these have been ordered from Westfield

Photobucket

Lower balljoints had arrived, so after sourcing a correct size socket and borrowing my Dad's balljoint cracker, I have fitted them

Photobucket

So guys, does this diff look right?

Photobucket

Photobucket

How am I doing  :p

Diff looks ok to me, it does sit a long way over to the drivers side hence the GRP panel with the bulge in at the back of the tunnel.

Not sure about the bottom bolt holding on the ball joint though, looks a bit short to me, or does it still need doing up yet?

SAM_0152.jpg

Thanks for diff comment.

Yes bottom bolt on ball joint is a bit short, same both sides. That is tight, and it needs changing, it is on the list!

Thanks for diff comment.

Yes bottom bolt on ball joint is a bit short, same both sides. That is tight, and it needs changing, it is on the list!

:cool: When you change it also be sure to use a nyloc nut on it too.

Before things get too busy with parts at the back it's also probably worth sorting out making a bracket and fitting the speed sensor.

IMG_2202.jpg

Good tip, thanks.

How much gap should I leave between the sensor and the bolts?

Good tip, thanks.

IIRC it's about 2-3mm at the absolute most.  If you get the bracket fitted and everything pointing in the right direction now while the acess is good it should be easy enough to then slacken off the nut again and adjust it to the correct position at a later date once you can test it properly.

As I fitted mine a year after the car was built it was a right PITA  :arse: to get a drill in there to get the fixings for the bracket but moving the sensor isn't too bad.

Good tip, thanks.

IIRC it's about 2-3mm at the absolute most.  If you get the bracket fitted and everything pointing in the right direction now while the acess is good it should be easy enough to then slacken off the nut again and adjust it to the correct position at a later date once you can test it properly.

As I fitted mine a year after the car was built it was a right PITA  :arse: to get a drill in there to get the fixings for the bracket but moving the sensor isn't too bad.

Thanks, will get that sorted. Your bracket looks about 3-4mm thick ?

Good tip, thanks.

Thanks, will get that sorted. Your bracket looks about 3-4mm thick ?

Yup, pretty sure it's 3mm x 20mm steel strip, you don't want anything to thin as it'll vibrate too much.

Exactly the same jobs I'll be doing Monday, and I've had to order those spacers too. I think they're supposed to be salvaged from the Mazda. I can't really remember if they were there or not - it rings a bell though!