Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

One thing I would say is put a bit of tape over your fuel pipe ends to stop crap getting into them while your cutting panels etc. Steering column does look too far to the inside of the car, but when you pull it back to get the upper column bracket inline with the chassis bracket, that will pull the column towards the outside of the car. I'm sure Westfield will add the required length to the steering column for you for a few £'s

Aha!  ???

So, If I position the column so that the ignition is pointing down like you have yours, I will not need to extend the column - correct?

Just make up a new bracket using some flat steel with an exhaust clamp fixed to it?

That's it yes.  Otherwise if you use the proper mounting method as westfield intended then when using a flat dash and not the SDV moulded one you'd need to make a cut out in the dash to accomodate the ignition barrel.

The only issue with rotating the column as I have done is that it also rotates all the steering column swithes as well.  Not a problem for me since all mine are on the dash.

Aha!  ???

So, If I position the column so that the ignition is pointing down like you have yours, I will not need to extend the column - correct?

Just make up a new bracket using some flat steel with an exhaust clamp fixed to it?

That's it yes.  Otherwise if you use the proper mounting method as westfield intended then when using a flat dash and not the SDV moulded one you'd need to make a cut out in the dash to accomodate the ignition barrel.

The only issue with rotating the column as I have done is that it also rotates all the steering column swithes as well.  Not a problem for me since all mine are on the dash.

Ok great.

I am intending to use a Westfield vinyl dash anyway, so will not be using the column stalk controls.

Problem solved me thinks  :D

One thing I would say is put a bit of tape over your fuel pipe ends to stop crap getting into them while your cutting panels etc. Steering column does look too far to the inside of the car, but when you pull it back to get the upper column bracket inline with the chassis bracket, that will pull the column towards the outside of the car. I'm sure Westfield will add the required length to the steering column for you for a few £'s

Good tip regarding the fuel pipes, cheers

Waiting for a few bits to arrive - hopefully postman pat will produce tomorrow  :D

Done a few little jobs tonight.

Firstly added a washer to the front lower balljoint bolts

Next up was the paintpot again, another coat on the rear hubs, drive shafts and front hubs

SAM_0184.jpg

SAM_0186.jpg

SAM_0187.jpg

Finally, I stuffed an old sheet into the top gap on my garage door - there was a flipping gale coming through!

The new track rod ends arrived in the post today, and one missed signed for parcel, so a trip to the sorting office tomorrow.

Put the track rod ends on, leaving about half an inch of thread showing like the manual says to, but the front uprights were toeing in a lot, is that normal with everything still loose and no weight on the uprights?

To make the uprights appear in line with the main chassis, the amount of thread is more like an inch, not half

The missed parcel will be the one i posted recorded yesterday hopefully :t-up:

Ok thanks mate

That means the Westfield spacers have still not arrived they tell me they posted last Friday!

Westfield parts department aint the quickest

They're usually pretty quick, but I'm waiting for the same spacers and the 4.5" bolts too... you're not alone!

They're usually pretty quick, but I'm waiting for the same spacers and the 4.5" bolts too... you're not alone!

When did you order them Dom?

Thursday or Friday. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say Friday. If they've not sent them yet (they did say the spacers were from the donor but they'd see what they could do) I might see if I can knock some up from the spare diff front bracket spacer I've got, then just get some 4.5" bolts from the local fastenings place. Otherwise it's just holding the build up too much really. I collect the completion kit next month and ideally need some time to make some space for it.

My spacers arrived in the post today  :D  - you got yours Dommo?

Well I have new found optimism in them being in the letterbox when I get home!

Well I have new found optimism in them being in the letterbox when I get home!

:D  :t-up: