Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

More progress today, and the garage is now referred to as my second home  :p

Firstly, went to fit the hydraulic clutch line, only to discover after some searching that I do not have a slave cyliner - so got one ordered for that.

Fitted the airbox

Photobucket

Then the Plenum pipe

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then got the steering column assembly in place, I had to losen off the steering rack fixings and raise the rack to get the lower column onto the rack. I then spent some time positioning the ignition barrel and steering lock.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Next I fitted the throttle cable

Photobucket

Photobucket

And finally, measured up for the propshaft and packaged it up ready to send off tomorrow

Photobucket

I have noticed that the rubber around the gearlever is split - is this a problem and should I replace it?

Photobucket

Looking fantastic Gary a credit to you.

At this speed of building he'll have the engine running before christmas  :p

And yes, change the seal of the gearstick.

:blush:

Thanks mate!

At this speed of building he'll have the engine running before christmas  :p

And yes, change the seal of the gearstick.

:D

I am finding it strangely addictive in all honesty, and have not chucked a spanner yet!

Fancy popping down and finishing mine so i can sell it as you're in the manic building mood.  :D

Maybe when I am on the road if you have not got your finger out by then  :laugh:  

That would be a good blat down to you  :cool:

When you change the seal at the gearstick, make sure you remove the gearlever and top up the turret with gearoil, it will make the gearchange smoother

When you change the seal at the gearstick, make sure you remove the gearlever and top up the turret with gearoil, it will make the gearchange smoother

Nice tip, thanks - right to the top?

Nice tip, thanks - right to the top?

Not right to the top or it will spill out when you put the gearstick in. The online manuals tell you how much it takes. I think it only takes about 75-100ml.

Fitted the clutch slave cylinder and hose tonight, still got to bleed it sometime.

I had to use one of the bolts from the mazda brake calipers to fit the line to the slave, as the bolts supplied with the hydraulic hose from westfield were a shade too long

SAM_0289.jpg

SAM_0290.jpg

The new gearstick seal arrived today as well, but I decided to leave that off until after I have fitted the propshaft, to avoid gearbox oil spillage.

Westfield have agreed to add 20mm to my steering column centre section FOC, so I removed this tonight to package up and send to them. It was all a bit stretched so hence the addition of 20mm

Fitted the Radiator and cooling fan

SAM_0295.jpg

SAM_0299.jpg

Had a look at the coolant pipework and routes to get my head around it.

Then I tackled the fuel pipes. Removing the old ones from the inlet manifold took some patience, but I got there in the end. New ones fitted with no problem.

SAM_0300.jpg

SAM_0301.jpg

SAM_0304.jpg

Then I fitted the carbon canister. I have connected the third fuel pipe to the top of the canister

This leaves me with two pipes that need connecting (small on top, and bottom of canister), but having never seen the canister in place in an MX-5, I am not sure where these go, and the build manual is not the clearest here - can anybody give me a steer please?

SAM_0302.jpg

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums....627.jpg

Top one goes into the sensor and then onto the top of the plenum chamber.  Bottom one goes to atmosphere.

Edited to say lots of others don't bother with the canister and just leave t off, but I kept mine on to help with emissions for IVA.