Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

If you put the rigid pipe to the expansion tank below the chassis braces as opposed to above them you'll be able to gain a bit more clearance for the sensor and the thermostat housing.  It'll then also make access for changing the thermostat a lot easier if ever needed.

You might need to bend it slightly in a couple of places to make it fit properly.

I had thought of that and need to do it. Ran out of time tonight when the shout came - teas ready, do you want it out there  :oops:  maybe time to take a couple of days off  :suspect:

Another "tip" for any restorer/builder

If there is any situation that you can drop a bolt in from the top so the nut is at the bottom so if the nut comes off or undoes then the bolt is more likely to stay in place whereas the other way around the bolt will drop out  ;)

scratches head  ???  :D

Anything bolted down onto something will tend to stay put via the bolt being in place if the nut drops off (albeit loose)

Of course anything bolted under something will drop off but the bolt will probably still be in place.

Just doing a bit of forward planning tonight - what did all the Mazda SDV owners do for carpets? Do Westfield do a kit specifically for the Mazda, or does the MT75 kit fit ok?

The pick list for my completion kit isn't Mazda specific for the carpets

The reason I asked is when you look at the photo on the online shop - that handbrake cut out appears to be in the middle of the tunnel on the carpet for an MT75, and ours is on the passenger side?

My carpets were supplied uncut for the gearstick and handbrake so I had to cut the holes myself and then chose to stitch the gators into position.

My carpets were supplied uncut for the gearstick and handbrake so I had to cut the holes myself and then chose to stitch the gators into position.

Ahh - so you can order them uncut?

Ahh - so you can order them uncut?

TBH I don't know, that's just how mine were when I opened their polythene bag :D  at the time I thought that's how they all are but maybe the seamstress was feeling lazy that day.

:laugh:

I will find out tomorrow, email sent to Gavin and Russ

Just popped down to the garage, definitely MT75 (RHD). Part number is 5841053.

I'll dig it out at the weekend and see if it's got a cut out in it. Hopefully not!

Just popped down to the garage, definitely MT75 (RHD). Part number is 5841053.

I'll dig it out at the weekend and see if it's got a cut out in it. Hopefully not!

Lets hope not Dommo - maybe it is uncut......

Gary,

All mine came uncut from the factory but it was a pretty straightforward job to cut out the apertures in the right place.  I chose to use a chrome trim from CBS for the Gear gaitor and one from Europa for the handbrake one having seen Chris's (Swindon Carpentry) which I thought looked the mutts nuts.

Didn't have to trim much from the carpets and was quite impressed with how well everything fitted straight out of the bag.  Only had to trim a tiny bit of the front tunnel carpet to clear the ECU panel.

I was told when I bought my carpets a few years ago I asked about this, as I had a Type 9 box mounted furter back than standard in an MT75 tunnel. I was told by the factory that all the carpet sets came uncut with gear and hand brake gaiters supplied loose, and that once I'd made the cut outs I could return the carpet and gaiters to the factory and they'd sew them together.

- obviously, you'd need to check this is still the case, but it sounds like it!

Just doing a bit of forward planning tonight - what did all the Mazda SDV owners do for carpets? Do Westfield do a kit specifically for the Mazda, or does the MT75 kit fit ok?

Mine were uncut for my MX5 kit and I wasn't supplied with any gaitors. I remember at the time the carpets having MT75 written on the back (although I specified they were for the MX5 based car), but they must all be the same as they were a perfect fit. I bought these leather gaitors with orange stitching to match the bodywork from fleabay for only £20 or so and paid a coachtrimmer £20 to stitch them onto the carpets after I'd cut the holes.

DSC_0162Medium.jpg

Laid the loom out on the car tonight and started plugging it onto the engine - still got some more to do, but feeling pretty uncomfortable now, as this is not my strong point, and several parts of the loom are unlabelled!

SAM_0397.jpg

SAM_0398.jpg

Anybody able to indentify this little lot? Drivers side of loom

SAM_0399.jpg

I am sure there is quite a bit of wiring to cut out, but not really sure of the best way to tackle this  :blush: