Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

Finished stripping off and cleaning up the block and head today, so need to get some paint now.

SAM_1131.jpg

SAM_1132.jpg

SAM_1134.jpg

Well, I offered up the SC - it is going to be very tight.

Definitely means the coolant re-route would need reworking, and the exhaust manifold heatshield would have to go.

I am not convinced it will fit.

First position

SAM_1135.jpg

SAM_1138.jpg

Rotated through 90 degrees

SAM_1136.jpg

SAM_1137.jpg

I will leave it wrapped up in a towel for now, and have a better look when it is time to start dismantling the engine in the car

Can it go under the inlet manifold?

It is a possibility, would mean relocating the alternator and I think the oil filter will be in the way though

The shame is there is a load of room in front of the engine where the Mazda airbox would have been located, but that would mean the charger would be 90 degrees out :oops:

Move the alternator to the exhaust side aftached to the mounting points for the aircon/ power steering pump.

I'd then fit a remote oil filter which would then also allow for relocating the oil pressure switch with it.

Mark

when I was trying to position then I found the steering column would be in the way, think you will struggle that side, plus is your starter motor not on driver side, as the SC is quite long and may interfere

Hi, Gary,

Just back from a fantastic track day at Hullavington. It was a brilliant day, including the weather. Managed to clock up 125 miles of track time and had a passenger ride in Jon Clancy's XI - which is a real hoot!

While I was there, I met up with Jumbo and the Track Nail. Jumbo runs an MX5 SDV and - you'll like this - he's just supercharged it. He's bolted on a Mintex blower and it works, too - he was going like a train down the straits and reckons he's getting about 160bhp. He's an occasional boardroom user, so hopefully he'll see this but he's offered to post up some photos if it would help.

The downside of this upgrade is that part of the supercharger plenum pokes out of a newly created hole in the side of the bonnet, but hey, it's supercharged! :t-up: :t-up: :t-up::cool:

Great day Mooch, although a little sunburn now....

I've got an earlier Sebring (now JRSC) kit installed on my Mazda SDV. Brought it from a guy on MX5nutz forum. Originally got it working using a adjustable fuel pressure regulator. But now using a power card and timing box. Still work in progress but seems to be working ok. Only downside is you can't get the charger within the bonnet line.... although hanging out of the bonnet is starting to grow on me now. I'll work out how to upload pictures if your interested?

• Like 1

Hi Jumbo, I'd too be interested to see some pics of your SC install :cool: if you can't work out how to post pics I'd be happy to host them for you if you email them to me and I'll post them on this thread. There's probably a few of us on the forum interest to see and hear about what you've done.

Thanks for sending over the pics James :t-up:

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

• Like 1

Mmm, interesting :d. The 1600 engine is slightly smaller dimension wise isnt it Mark?

I had a little look tonight at putting the charger on the inlet side, and it looks fairly promising, but hard to tell yet.

I Think it will go under the manifold ok, and will just about clear the starter motor. It is difficult to see in the engine bay whether the air intake will foul the starter motor, and also whether the air outlet will hit the vertical angled chassis tube behind the wishbones.

When I am ready to pull the engine out I will have pulled back all the cables from the engine bay and then there will be a bit more room to see.

Work in progress :)

Mmm, interesting :d. The 1600 engine is slightly smaller dimension wise isnt it Mark?

IIRC it's about 3/4" shorter and a similar amount lower. The height difference being in the block.