Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

There is a website that does all the bits to bolt on the mini supercharger. You have probably seen it and I cannot remeber the name of the place. Haha

what the devil has happened to the thermostat housing?

There is a website that does all the bits to bolt on the mini supercharger. You have probably seen it and I cannot remeber the name of the place. Haha

Evening Rick :t-up: it's TR Lane :)

what the devil has happened to the thermostat housing?

TR Lane as Mark says Rick

As for the Thermostat housing, I think it got damaged in transit, if you look back at yesterdays photos it was hanging there like a broken limb!

The real shame is the coil pack is damaged, not sure if I can repair it or not...job for later on

Gary did you have the block skimmed whilst you had the head done?

Because the 1800 uses a metal head gasket both head and block need to be within <.1mm

I had the same issue and with a quick skim of the block sorted everything out.

Think I'm heading in the same direction - still got a coolant leak from above the oil pressure sender. That's block skim rather than new engine!

I thought these Mazda engines were meant to be reliable ??? I struggling at the moment to think which of us hasn't had to rebuild our engines :oops:

Its all part of the learning curve though :d

Its all part of the learning curve though :d

And a good oportunity to add a few upgrades at the same time :d

The TR Lane setup will be a tight fit:

0_0_0_0_250_188_csupload_40132289_large.jpg

Doesn't look like an immediate no-go though. Might need to cut the bonnet slightly, and maybe the air filter could go where the battery is leaving a good excuse for a cut out

And a good oportunity to add a few upgrades at the same time :d

Of course - goes without saying :d

Now - lightened flywheel or not worth it?

The TR Lane setup will be a tight fit:

0_0_0_0_250_188_csupload_40132289_large.jpg

Doesn't look like an immediate no-go though. Might need to cut the bonnet slightly, and maybe the air filter could go where the battery is leaving a good excuse for a cut out

It will be very tight - if it fits at all

I think the supercharger may be higher than the bonnet which will cause problems IMO, but a quick mock up will show. It may be possible to rotate the position of the charger though

Failing that - there is always a nice rotrex to go in the PAS Pump position ??? but they are a lot more expensive.....

Of course - goes without saying :d

Now - lightened flywheel or not worth it?

One of the best and cheepest upgrades i made, definately worth it :cool:

It does't give you any more BHP but it allows the engine to spin up quicker so it's much more responsive to the throttle. Only negative is that it's a tiny bit more lumpy at idle.

It will be very tight - if it fits at all

I think the supercharger may be higher than the bonnet which will cause problems IMO, but a quick mock up will show. It may be possible to rotate the position of the charger though

Failing that - there is always a nice rotrex to go in the PAS Pump position ??? but they are a lot more expensive.....

There was a thread Last year about an elecric supercharger :oops: i can't seem to find it now :d

I'll get my coat :p

One of the best and cheepest upgrades i made, definately worth it :cool:

It does't give you any more BHP but it allows the engine to spin up quicker so it's much more responsive to the throttle. Only negative is that it's a tiny bit more lumpy at idle.

Did you get the standard one lightened, or buy a new one?

Think I'm heading in the same direction - still got a coolant leak from above the oil pressure sender. That's block skim rather than new engine!

These engines are reliable untill the moment you take them out of Mazda and put them in a westie.

The tolerances on head to block are very small.

In total to get mine to seal I had to do a 0.05 mm cut on the head and 0.04 mm cut on the block. But the block wouldn't clamp down and seal properly until I did this.