Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

Evening Rick :t-up: it's TR Lane :)

That's the one.

Think you will need to cut a serious hole In the bonnet to get everything to fit tho.

That's the one.

Think you will need to cut a serious hole In the bonnet to get everything to fit tho.

Depends how it can be positioned - possibly be able to cover the hole with a scoop if its not too close to the radius of the bonnet

Thats what I am thinking of doing

I was going to try these

http://www.hthoward.co.uk/engine-machining-services/

:t-up: :t-up:

The link was more for the benifit of Darve :d when he comes in from the garage and sees this thread he'll be taking his engine back out again and running it up the road to Dagenham for some tweeks :p

:t-up: :t-up:

The link was more for the benifit of Darve :d when he comes in from the garage and sees this thread he'll be taking his engine back out again and running it up the road to Dagenham for some tweeks :p

ha ha - I reckon you are right :devil:

Darve will become used to removing the engine in and out so might as well get some early practise in ;)

Darve will become used to removing the engine in and out so might as well get some early practise in ;)

Talking of engine removal - wanna sell me your hoist Rick?

These engines are reliable untill the moment you take them out of Mazda and put them in a westie.

The tolerances on head to block are very small.

In total to get mine to seal I had to do a 0.05 mm cut on the head and 0.04 mm cut on the block. But the block wouldn't clamp down and seal properly until I did this.

I had the head skimmed, only required one pass apparently. Should have had the block done too. I'll have a high compression engine by the time I've finished!

If only removing the engine didn't open up so many options!

Talking of engine removal - wanna sell me your hoist Rick?

I might be keeping the engine hoist Gary as dad has bought an MGF so will probably end up having to do a head gasket on it at some stage.

I had the head skimmed, only required one pass apparently. Should have had the block done too. I'll have a high compression engine by the time I've finished!

If only removing the engine didn't open up so many options!

If they do end up having to take a large skim off both block and head, you can always use 1 layer from another head gasket an place this into the stack of a normal gasket. They are 0.2 mm thick IIRC. To bring it back into normal compression territory.

I might be keeping the engine hoist Gary as dad has bought an MGF so will probably end up having to do a head gasket on it at some stage.

No worries mate

Kugawestie,

Here is another offer!

I have a SC in garage that I intend to put on my ST170 at somestage, but too many other things to do so if you want to borrow to see if you can mock up an install, that way you can see before you go out and buy one?

Let me know if you are interested in borrowing?

Chris

I popped over to see Chris this afternoon and have borrowed his supercharger. Thanks mate :t-up:

Chris has a garage that is nearly bigger than my house - palacial :d

Let the fun commence!

Gary,

no problem, good to meet you and nice car :yes: hope you have a great evening, sure you will be happy messing about next week wondering how to fit.

Garage, well SWMBO always says we have a garage with a house :d she has banned me from putting a flat screen in there, if I do then it will closely be followed by a settee and bed :devil: could be tempted!