• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Peak District Sun 22nd Sept CANCELLED DUE TO RAIN

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

14 hours ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

I couldn't possible comment that @LukeW broke his car pulling out of the devil's ar$e ! Who say's S2000's have no torque! I've not heard of a Sport 250 snapping a CV joint off the rear hub yet! @AdgeC @BugMan Challenge on! I hope you're quickly fixed Luke! But I'm not sorry that you're breakdown mean't I had to drive Winnat's pass 3 times instead of 1, like the others!

😎

Loose bolts to blame IMO rather than S2000 torque!😂

How many bolts were bent? ;)

25 minutes ago, CosKev said:

Loose bolts to blame IMO rather than S2000 torque!😂

How many bolts were bent? ;)

Agreed, but why have they come loose?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

Agreed, but why have they come loose?

Its pretty common on sierra rear set up,hence people marking them with paint pens etc.

Possibly due to being allen headed bolts and people using smaller tools or just Allen keys to tighten them up?

GRPA Sierras only use 3 bolts to hold the joint on,along with 3 headless studs,so that definitely confirms it's nothing to do with your fictional S2000 torque!🤭

Just now, CosKev said:

Its pretty common on sierra rear set up.

GRPA Sierras only use 3 bolts to hold the joint on,along with 3 headless studs,so that definitely confirms it's nothing to do with your fictional S2000 torque!🤭

I've never put anything more than 10 lbft through mine, especially when pedalling along with you and @CraigHew behind 😄

We've just not had a good Torque debate with our Sport  250 friends for a while!

• Haha 2

Where the s2000 boys are concerned it's more 'talk' than torque :p

Joking aside. Either strong loctite or just drill and lock wire. Seen a few instances of these working loose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Where the s2000 boys are concerned it's more 'talk' than torque :p

Joking aside. Either strong loctite or just drill and lock wire. Seen a few instances of these working loose.

I'd forgotten about the 'ex Sport 250 clan' 😉

I'd also suggest to clean and paint mark. Then you can quickly and easily visually check if they've moved, before/after/during track events, road trips etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CosKev said:

it's nothing to do with your fictional S2000 torque!🤭

Ooh, big talk now you’ve got rid of the lawn mower power, Sorry, bike engine, for your car! :laugh:;) :p 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Ooh, big talk now you’ve got rid of the lawn mower power, Sorry, bike engine, for your car! :laugh:;) :p 

Haven't been fishing in years,but I can still hook some big ones!😛

We all know why you are super charging your car! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If anyone can remember MattyCatty from Yorkshire with the white supercharged S2000, he had the same problem as @LukeW and he broke down on the A1. That incident caused us the check our car's bolts and guess what? they were loose too. We had only just bought the car and never considered checking them. They were tightened up, using loctite and upon checking at a later date they had come loose again. This time the bolts were really, super cleaned before adding loctite and tightening, so far they have stayed in position, but they do get checked. The marking with Tippex/paint is a good idea so we have just done that, good idea @IanK (Bagpuss)

DSC09798.JPG.5ba5f7d520fdbfa9dd6cf96eb279f474.JPG

DSC09797.JPG.7867e3b665eadcf8e15b5ed1c4564ec9.JPG

• Like 5

On the donor Sierra these joints have a washer plate fitted. Wonder if that's making a difference on cars that dont have them fitted?

Screenshot_20190930-120749_eBay.thumb.jpg.36bdf029b855a808cab3a379622528b9.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

On the donor Sierra these joints have a washer plate fitted. Wonder if that's making a difference on cars that dont have them fitted?

Screenshot_20190930-120749_eBay.thumb.jpg.36bdf029b855a808cab3a379622528b9.jpg

I don’t know, but I’ve always fitted them, bolt threads and the receiving threaded holes do usually need to:be properly clean for threadlockers to really bond.

• Like 1

when I renewed my rubber gaiter  I made Shure that the bolts were cleaned in some solution think it was petrol  then locktighted back in

that reminds me to mark them again with paint thanks julie

On 29/09/2019 at 18:32, Julie Hall - Peak District AO said:

If anyone can remember MattyCatty from Yorkshire with the white supercharged S2000, he had the same problem as @LukeW and he broke down on the A1. That incident caused us the check our car's bolts and guess what? they were loose too. We had only just bought the car and never considered checking them. They were tightened up, using loctite and upon checking at a later date they had come loose again. This time the bolts were really, super cleaned before adding loctite and tightening, so far they have stayed in position, but they do get checked. The marking with Tippex/paint is a good idea so we have just done that, good idea @IanK (Bagpuss)

DSC09798.JPG.5ba5f7d520fdbfa9dd6cf96eb279f474.JPG

DSC09797.JPG.7867e3b665eadcf8e15b5ed1c4564ec9.JPG

@Julie Hall - Peak District AO That's not very clean.... well it  isn't for your car!  :getmecoat:

Oh crumbs, if Glen sees this it will set off the OCD and then suddenly when he announces 'this week we are mainly....cleaning the car' this will become a standard job. Is there a moderator that I can bribe to edit the posts 😁😁😁

@Steve (sdh2903) that is a very interesting point, 'washers provide a smooth, level surface for the nut/bolt to bear upon, reducing the likelihood of loosening due to uneven fastening surfaces' thank you for pointing it out.

• Like 1