Abingdon Track Day 18th July 2014

Dommo

Also signed my car over to one of the instructors to show me a fast lap or two and the lines to take which was a real benefit.  By getting a lesson early in the day, it left the rest of the day to get used to the circuit and make each lap smoother and quicker than the last one, while avoiding any stray batteries left on the track.... :p

Did mine at 2pm so I could see how rubbish I was to start off with but make some easy improvements then got some pointers. I didn't hand my car over but did give it a few seconds of thought. My main issue is thinking the car will reach its limits like a normal car, perhaps being shown it won't will boost the confidence!

I'd be interested in this again.. Last time Andrew Cotswold AO sorted out free tuition session for everyone with MSE as 10+ WSCC people booked. I'll pop him over an email asking if we could arrange the same again?

Sounds good Paul

An instructor driving your car to 9/10ths could be utterly terrifying as a passenger!

My thoughts exactly - going to put the passenger seat in this time?

Think I'm going to book on, just got to check my calendar. Hullavington might be another one to try sometime as well.

I am going to ask an instructor to take me out as as Mooch says it would be great to see the lines they use and what some who can drive properly can do with the car.

That won't be mad at all... Just make sure he doesn't cut the grass!

That won't be mad at all... Just make sure he doesn't cut the grass!

Harsh, but fair! :laugh:

• Like 1

Harsh, but fair! :laugh:

I had run out of rear brake pad at this point!  Nothing to do with lack of talent! :rolleyes:

I cannot believe out of all the laps I have done without an off I have one with a witness! :down:  :cry:  :blush:

Mr Wolf can get his revenge I am more than happy to be his passenger......

Mr Wolf can get his revenge I am more than happy to be his passenger......

If you fancy a leisurely sight seeing tour of the track I'm sure I can help.

All booked on.

1. Dommo

2. M444TTB

3. The Stoat 

4. Gary Lucas (KugaWestie)

5. CrisisWolf

Fellas, I'm quite tempted by this as, being based in Southampton, Abingdon is not too far to travel and I'm really keen to meet up with a group of fellow members and enjoy a good day's 'hooning' on track.  

However, I've never done an airfield before, (I tend to go to Castle Combe, Brands and Bedford) and despite the competitive price, compared to those venues, I've always been put off, (albeit by videos on You Tube), by the thought of the track layout being determined, in parts, by cones, as well as the possibility of additional tyre wear, although I hear that some airfield surfaces are better than others.

So how did you find it last time out?

Thanks,

Steve

I'm the opposite having not done a circuit day yet, partly because I like the idea of not having anything more solid than a cone to hit. The MSE days are organised well, and I particularly like the layout of Abingdon. I can't really compare it with a circuit though, so I'll be equally intrigued to hear from someone who can.

very tempted, I do like Abingdon, will try get on the case and get it booked up, would be good to play with a few other westies too!

For those concerned about the surface, its not perfectly smooth tarmac but its not bad. There are a fair few small stones that do like to eat away at your body work, so definitely recommend some rear arch protectors, I use some vinyl wrap that does the job and easily replaced.

I hope I can get to play.

I'm in

1. Dommo

2. M444TTB

3. The Stoat 

5. CrisisWolf

6. Mooch

1. Dommo

2. M444TTB

3. The Stoat and Dad

5. CrisisWolf

6. Mooch

My dad is now comming and think Dave who shared my car last time will be there in his newly purchased Westfield.

I can't make this so doing hullavington on 11th! Hope you all have a great day!

• 1 month later...

Just to dig this one back up, not that long to go now  :)

Is it going to be dry?

have fun my fellow mx5 chaps  :)  :white-westy:  

don't worry about the rain Gary, you'll be slower but it's great to learn car control in (read "great fund sliding around" :d ). Once you and the car are wet, it doesn't matter. you may as well get out on track and have some fun  :t-up:

• Like 1

I've booked Abingdon on the 18th and Hullavington this coming Friday. I hope my car survives Hullavington unscathed because Abingdon is my preferred venue but I haven't done a trackday for nearly two years, so I'm overdosing!

Here's Hullavington on a less than ideal day...

Abingdon000.jpg