North Oxford Blat to Castle Combe - 22nd March 2014

KugaWestie

We have planned a blat for anyone that wants to join us to support the WSCC Speed Series event being held at Castle Combe on Saturday 22nd March 2014.

• It is free to get into the track.
  • On site is Merlin Motorsports as well for a good peruse of their shop.
  • Runs consist of 1.75 laps of a 1.8 mile circuit, so each run is over 3 miles (about as long as it gets in Sprints); the venue has its own cafe where food and drink is provided throughout the day, so breakfast through lunch; spectators can tour around pretty well the whole length of the track around its perimeter; the event is the opening round of the 2014 SBD Motorsport British Sprint Championship and is the fastest venue it visits all year and will have two Gould GR55s in its entry list (probably)

Our planned route is as follows:-

08:00am - Set off from the normal monthly meet venue "The Rock" http://www.therockofgibraltar.co.uk/

08:45am - Stop at the large car park on the Swindon Road just outside Lechlade by the humpback bridge to pick up any additional blatters

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=204904942721478016467.0004f36980962cab61c29&msa=0&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=20&vpsrc=1&iwloc=0004f36980973abdf8146

08:50am - Leave Car park

09:05am - Stop at the Toys R Us Car Park in Swindon to pick up any additional blatters

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=204904942721478016467.0004f3698ded74c3dae91&msa=0&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&ll=51.575809,-1.730454&spn=0.00047,0.001321&t=h&z=20&vpsrc=1&iwloc=0004f3698deec2de8d979

09.10am - Set off for Castle Combe.

10:00am - Arrive at the Circuit

Now I am really hoping we can pick up a few of the Swindon folk en-route, and turn this into a decent club showing at Castle Combe, with a bit of fun blatting on the way.

People can stay as long as they like at the circuit, and drift off whenever they please.

So come please chaps, lets make this a decent outing :) 

• Like 1

That's a hop and a skip for me - I live about 20 mins from the circuit so I would be delighted to join you!

great idea Gary, hoping the weather is good and we get a decent sprint.  Its a great track to see all the classes at pace - last year there was a very fast Audi Quattro (ex works) and some lovely single seaters playing about in the slush and snow.... :-) hope to see you there if i get an entry  :yes:

I'll plan to be at Toys R Us for 0900 o'clock hours and will recce a non-motorway route to Castle Coombe. There's some half decent roads we can use. Castle Coombe is surrounded by a proper labyrinth of country lanes which are not conducive to convoys - we'd just loose people, so I'll pick a sensible route.

Mike,

When we go to Hullavington we meet at J16 and go via Brinkworth. Not a great driving road, though does have the bridge under the M4 and being one road all the way to Malmesbury is good for keeping a convoy together on.

I usually go through Kington St Michael to Castle Combe but given the state of it I'm not sure it's Westfield friendly.

Hey - I may only be getting my Westfleld next week (or the week after) but Castle Combe is my local circuit. Where are the details for the WSCC Speed Series event? 

Hey - I may only be getting my Westfleld next week (or the week after) but Castle Combe is my local circuit. Where are the details for the WSCC Speed Series event? 

See here

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/106709-dates-for-speed-series-events/

Also you can view events by clicking on the tab "Events Calendar" at the top of the screen

Hi Gary, I should be there pending recovery from a severe bout of (hugely expensive) upgradeitis :d  Otherwise I might be hoping to hitch a ride with someone, can't face the trip in a the tin-top  :(

I live just down the road from Coombe. The best road from Swindon is the B4040. The road from Brinkworth is a bit boring. Go through Purton then Minety, then to Malmesbury, then to Sherston and the Coombe. A great road thats not busy and has plenty of passing opportunities.

Mike

I live just down the road from Coombe. The best road from Swindon is the B4040. The road from Brinkworth is a bit boring. Go through Purton then Minety, then to Malmesbury, then to Sherston and the Coombe. A great road thats not busy and has plenty of passing opportunities.

Mike

I was looking at going through Wooton Basset and down Lyneham banks and Suttone Benger to Kingston St Michael and Coombe but I've just seen that the road is closed for bridgework for 22 weeks from today. Northern route through Minety/Malmesbury/Grittleton is looking odds on.

It's a bit of a pain at the moment as several bridges are closed for the electrification of railway line.

We have planned a blat for anyone that wants to join us to support the WSCC Speed Series event being held at Castle Combe on Saturday 22nd March 2014.

• It is free to get into the track

Can someone let me know how/criteria for free to get to track? I assumed it was like any Castle Combe event and its ticketed. Secondly, are we in normal public parking or will there be a WSCC area? 

I'll be coming from Bristol/Bath if anyone else is drop me a PM for a meet up before hand.