• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Darve's Build Diary

darve

All looking very nice.

I especially like your cam cover...and your pink belt, these seem to be de rigeur on mazda sdv's :d

On my zetec, the rear shocks were fitted with the adjusters facing inwards for better access, am I right in thinking you can't do this on mazdas?

Does this not risk drawing in unmetered air into the inlet manifold via the cam cover? Oil cap looks good!

Dom, it doesn't matter with aftermarket ecu's such as omex or megasqurt etc as they don't use the AFM to measure the airflow into the engine.

Dave, bare in mind that if you plan to do trackdays then you'll need to take the cam breather to an oil catch tank.

Just looked again though and the PCV valve and the link pipe from the inlet manifold to the cam cover will need to be removed and plugged.

All looking very nice.

I especially like your cam cover...and your pink belt, these seem to be de rigeur on mazda sdv's :d

On my zetec, the rear shocks were fitted with the adjusters facing inwards for better access, am I right in thinking you can't do this on mazdas?

Thanks

Everyone likes a bit of pink :laugh:

That's correct, can't be fitted facing inwards as it hits the wishbone :t-up:

Dave, bare in mind that if you plan to do trackdays then you'll need to take the cam breather to an oil catch tank.

Noted :t-up:

Just looked again though and the PCV valve and the link pipe from the inlet manifold to the cam cover will need to be removed and plugged.

why's that :oops: ?

Noted :t-up:

why's that :oops: ?

The PCV valve opens and closes based on a vacuum pressure difference across it. If one side of the cam cover is not connected to the intake plenum then it will see atmospheric pressure on that side rather than the intake pressure.

IIRC this will mean that the valve will be permamently open and the vacuum from the intake manifold will draw the oil and oil vapour from the cam cover into the intake and burn it in the normal combustion process.

In short it will cause the car to burn oil. :)

ah that makes sense :t-up:

I take it I could just put a "plug" in the pipe? Else I'm not sure what could be used to plug the cam cover hole :(

ah that makes sense :t-up:

I take it I could just put a "plug" in the pipe? Else I'm not sure what could be used to plug the cam cover hole :(

Yes you can plug the pipe or alternatively leave the PCV valve in and fit a blanking cap to it like this :)

IMG_3134.jpg

ooooo now that's a fab idea :t-up:  thanks for your help oh guru master :d

Looking good Dave

12 months ago to the day mine went through IVA, and I drove it back in 20 Deg C sunshine :cool:  :d

You are going well, keep it up :t-up:

Looking good Dave

12 months ago to the day mine went through IVA, and I drove it back in 20 Deg C sunshine :cool:  :d

You are gong well, keep it up :t-up:

Happy birthday to your car Gary :t-up:

It was snowing when I drove mine back from SVA in Norwich :down::oops:

Happy birthday to your car Gary :t-up:

It was snowing when I drove mine back from SVA in Norwich :down::oops:

My actual IVA Test was 29th March, but it was a Thursday, so today is the day if you get my drift

Driving in snow - did you put the hood and doors on as soon as you were out of sight ?

Driving in snow - did you put the hood and doors on as soon as you were out of sight ?

No hood or doors were fitted :cry: any press studs riveted on the body would have been an SVA fail. Just had to man up and wear plenty of layers :westy: