• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Darve's Build Diary

darve

Goodies :d

20130313_200758_zps54f6dec9.jpg

I'll be interested to see how you get on with this. I'm considering Omex or Emerald for mine...

Few complications (for me anyway) to suss out along the way...... But ill keep it all well documented on here. Any questions, just shout :)

Fair bit of progress made over the last week :d

Rear brakes fitted

20130315_182746_zpsdfbcb1bb.jpg

Cam cover and inlet manifold cleaned and painted (oil filler cap will be replaced)

20130315_182440_zps5884fe8c.jpg

20130315_182408_zpsae4888b1.jpg

Used smokey mows (cheers fella :yes: ) idea for an inlet manifold support bracket.

20130315_182426_zps56a21c3b.jpg

Mazda coil pack cannot be used with the Omex ECU. Coil pack bracket modified to accept the omex supplied one. Not the most pretty - but I've done the best I can without the use or know-how of a welder

20130315_182456_zps3ae12f7f.jpg

20130315_182507_zps7593375f.jpg

Tunnel top pannels started to be fitted. Rivnuts for easy access. To keep the top smooth (i.e. no overlap) I have fitted a strip under the joint to stop water ingress. These ali panels really don't fit without a fair bit of fettling :o

20130315_182729_zpsc21d3f45.jpg

I'm doing the coolant re-route so drill and tapped an adaptor to fit the omex coolant temp sensor. Not fitted to engine as need to order a thermostat

20130315_182914_zps760a5b26.jpg

Fixing stap made up for ECU. Lined with foam.

20130315_182526_zpsfe5ec22c.jpg

20130315_182834_zpsa43dd205.jpg

Ooops pic limit......................

It's slowing looking like a car :oops:

20130315_182655_zps170c76fc.jpg

Also drilled the hole in the bulkhead panel for the steering column. Luckily in the right place first time :yes: I can't tell if I have the expected "too short" centre steering column as I'm not sure where the dash will end up until the bodywork is fitted. I'm happy to leave out for know as I've as least got the hole drilled.

A quick question: The steering column support bracket, is it meant to be really loose around the column? Seems a bit pointless if this is the case :suspect:

Not sure which bracket you mean Dave? The top of the column mounts to the two tabs welded to the dash hoop, whist the bottom of the upper column is attached to the lower bracket with an exhaust clamp.

The mazda column itself is all welded so there shouldn't be anything moving ???

If you mean the bracket for the lower column which bolts to the chassis next to the engine mount, then that should have a nylon bush in it :)

P.S. good progress :yes:

Sorry yeah the one for the lower column. hmm nylon bush. not one of those in there and I dont remember seeing one in my box of bits. does anyone have a good picture of the bush?

Sorry yeah the one for the lower column. hmm nylon bush. not one of those in there and I dont remember seeing one in my box of bits. does anyone have a good picture of the bush?

A bit like this but smaller

http://500px.com/photo/8924539

I was worried there what sort of bush was going to appear!

I was worried there what sort of bush was going to appear!

Amazing what comes up on google image results when you type in "small bush" :d:oops:

Sorry Dave I don't have a pic but basically it's a split nylon tube that sleeves the inside of the metal tube.

Keep up the good work Dave, it is looking great :t-up:

I have just noticed that nice pink cambelt - lovely aint they :d

Liking the finish of the cam cover etc, very classy.

Good to see you're focusing your energy into something positive - going to be one very well built westy when yoy have finished.

Keep up the good work Dave, it is looking great :t-up:

cheers mate :t-up:

I have just noticed that nice pink cambelt - lovely aint they :d

can't beat a nice bit of pink :laugh: