• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Darve's Build Diary

darve

So, slacken the bolt, centre the washer and tighten the bolt.

Easy 2 minute job.

got a question on the mx5 SDV'ers out there.......

I started to look at fitting the handbrake lever and have come across a snag!! The rear mount is way out! I've looked at Gary's diary and his looks fine. I've also looked at Doms and he had the bend the rear mount towards the rear of the car. However, mine is out the other way. I.e. the rear bracket welded to the chassis seems mounted too far towards the rear. I have bent the brack so the mounting hole comes towards the front of the car, but it still has a long way to go. Some pics will probably make this a lot clearer:

20130125_220259.jpg

20130125_220227.jpg

20130125_220446.jpg

I'm thinking the best idea here is to bend the bracket back :blush: and then use a bit of flat bar to essentially extend the bracket.

What's your thoughts chaps or am I being a plum and missing something obvious?

I am using rivnuts and countersunk bolts on the front due to the clearance issue with the propshaft. Is it worth shortening the front spacers a touch or will the use of countersunk bolts and stronger gearbox mounting rubbers be sufficient?

What's your thoughts chaps or am I being a plum and missing something obvious?

I am using rivnuts and countersunk bolts on the front due to the clearance issue with the propshaft. Is it worth shortening the front spacers a touch or will the use of countersunk bolts and stronger gearbox mounting rubbers be sufficient?

I can't see that you're doing anything wrong there. either the bracket or the tube in the tunnel appear to be slightly out of position. Twisting/Bending/fettling normally works but your's looks a little too far out.

I have shorter spacers and the stiffer mounts but with standard nyloc nuts and Now can't get the prop to knock any more even when drifting.

Here's a test to prove it :d

piece of flat bar it is then :yes:

thanks for your help :t-up:

wasn't expecting that finish in the vid :laugh:

piece of flat bar it is then :yes:

thanks for your help :t-up:

Sounds like a good plan, that's what I'd go for.

HTH :)

wasn't expecting that finish in the vid :laugh:

Just living up to my boardroom name :laugh:

Bracket fabricated today by modifying an old mx5 starter motor bracket. Painted to give a nice finish :)

Front mount installed with countersunk bolts and rivnuts. this meant drilling through from the passenger side tunnel. Bit of a butt clench moment but got the holes in the right place :d just need to source a couple of grommets to plug the holes

20130202_135423_zps8b3b570f.jpg

20130202_135410_zps5b0c13ed.jpg

20130202_135501_zps4733bc34.jpg

Hmm what to tackle next

Job for tomorrow, I'd get the handbrake cable fitted and the brakes blead :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Well not had a day off work since 2nd feb so have been too busy for the build. Wont have a day off until next sat either. My mind needed something to focus on other than work so i pulled the wiring loom out of erm the dining room and had it all over the lounge floor :) i had already stripped out most of the redundant bits. started to tackle the dash end and seem to have very little to show for 3 to 4 hours of work!

On a funny note.............sussing out the wiring is slightly tricky when you're colourblind!

Big thanks to Mark for your dash wiring guide and mazda wiring diagrams :)

started to tackle the dash end and seem to have very little to show for 3 to 4 hours of work!

We all know that feeling! It's some kind of time black hole that occurs when stripping that loom!

• 2 weeks later...

Have been a busy bee on the wiring loom!! Whole mazda loom stripped down to its individual circuits and a wiring diagram drawn up for each. Will be installing a new fuse box and relay box so the mazda ones aren't being used. Have been in contact with Omex and have almost finalised everything I need!

Piccie time :d

Have almost finished the dashboard wiring. Just need to get hold of an indicator switch, some 4.8mm spade terminals and a another connector block. I have used the connector blocks so the dash is easily removable. Have tried my best to make it as tidy as I can - I'm quite pleased with my handy work :yes:

20130306_171414_zps516d2fee.jpg

20130306_171610_zpscdd592c5.jpg

20130306_171547_zpsfeb5c8b2.jpg

So you should be, Sir, it's looking very nice :yes:  :yes:

Nice layout for the dials and white Mmmmmmmmmmm. Can't beleive you are an accountant and can do all this, I salute you.