• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Darve's Build Diary

darve

Well done mate :t-up: I'm just up the road whenever you need tools, advice or a helping hand.

Lets see if you can finish before I get my Narrow done :oops:

Or your other car back from Westfield ;)

Try and plan out all the nuts and bolts you need for each bit, then find out what's missing early. Westfield will send them out and it will seem like a constant supply of bits so constant progress!

If I remember rightly your prop and steering column need sizing, missing parts need to be chased up, email Westfield for that, don't bother phoning they'll forget. In your garage you can finish off the dreaded loom. That'l keep you busy for a few hours.

Or your other car back from Westfield ;)

I'm starting to think Russ wasn't joking the other day when he said they'd sold it :oops::laugh::d

I'm starting to think Russ wasn't joking the other day when he said they'd sold it :oops::laugh::d

Paid for their christmas party, I think.

stop it you lot :laugh: I'm assured the WF Chrsitmas party in Vegas has been cancelled :oops:

Back on topic, I think we're overdue some photos of progress please :cool:

No, Mark, it took place at the weekend.

They were going on about thanking the Smokey. Now I know what they meant.

• 3 weeks later...

The thought occurred to me today that I may have made a dangler up with my fuel sender unit :(

I installed as per the build manual with the height from the top of the unit to the bottom of the float as instructed and then cut off the excess float arm.

I have the long range fuel take and the float I guess will stop before the tank is empty. Therefore reading empty when there is plenty of fuel left.

Does anyone know what the measurement from the top of the sender to the bottom of the float on a long range should be?

Thanks

Darve,

I don't know if you solved this, but I ended up having to bend the float wire in my long range tank, as the range of resistence values that it was sending was not in the 3 to 130 Ohms expected by the Miata gauge. When my tank was half full it was reading < 3 Ohms so was reading empty. So it may be that you have to remove the sender again and bend the wire, so that it works as expected.

Graham

• 3 weeks later...

Not sorted yet Graham but thanks for the pointer. Car looks great btw

How has it been over a month since I said I would get back on this!!

Well Saturday saw an almighty tidy up of the garage. It had become one great big dumping ground :) all nice and tidy again:

20130120_005100.jpg

Ordered some stronger gearbox mounting rubbers on Sunday as the Westfield supplied ones are two soft and things are tight in the tunnel. Advised by Mark of course :)

These arrived in the post today so got them installed this evening. Felt really good to get back in the garage and drift off into that world of your own :) :) slightly fiddly task as I needed to elongate one of the holes as I didn't drill it quite right first time round but the gearbox is now sitting nicely on the centre of the tunnel. Managed to do this without having to move the engine forward thankfully.

20130122_220648.jpg

20130122_221350.jpg

Here's to getting back to the build :d

Hmm that left hand washer being off centre is going to bug me..........

Hmm that left hand washer being off centre is going to bug me..........

I doubt it, Dave, you'll rarely see it again and it's doing what it's meant to do.   :t-up:

I doubt it, Dave, you'll rarely see it again and it's doing what it's meant to do.   :t-up:

....but I know it's like it :p  :down:  :p