Generally unimpressed

timc78

Phew, that was a long read ........

Of particular interest was the bit about AO organised events being covered by the club PL insurance. This is not something that I had considered when I volunteered as Surrey AO with John Cobb and I am pleased to have had the situation clarified - much as I love our members, I am not sure I want to 'lose my house' over their activities!

John C. and I will in future be ensuring that our 'convoys' remain well below 12 cars, taking different routes if necessary. We will also be notifying non-WSCC members who attend our area meets and events of their responsibilities with regard to PL insurance.

If the national WSCC itself has as disappointing a result as we have at local level in trying to organise track events then I can quite understand why there are few such events in the South!

On the subject of newbie enquiries, I am rather bored with the 'join the Club', and 'do a search' answers as I feel that they give a poor introduction to potential club members - we wouldn't do this face to face to a newbie turning up at a local meet so why should it be acceptable on the board?

As for items/cars for sale or wanted, I feel that these board areas should be for members only - yet another perk of club membership.

Excellent thread - can I go to bed now?  :D  :D

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• Bazzer

• Blatman

• Mrs Westy

As for items/cars for sale or wanted, I feel that these board areas should be for members only - yet another perk of club membership.

The 'perk' being...

a) Members cant be told of Westfield related items they might wish to buy because the seller has not paid money to join the Club.

b) Members with Westfield related items to sell are restricted to selling them only to buyers who have paid money to join the Club.

c) Westfield car owners who wish to sell their car, and who rightly identify the WSCC Boardroom as being a place where potential Westfield Car owners might gather for their mutual benefit, are unable to advertise the fact that they have a Westfield car available for sale unless they pay to do so.

d) Potential car purchasers who wish to 'get into' Westfield car ownership are unable to express their specific requirement unless they pay to do so.

I appreciate that there is an 'argument' along the lines of .. fair enuff, if you want to advertise Westfield Cars / Westfield Parts then you have to pay. Similarly there is one along the lines of.. if you want to advertise Westfield Cars / Westfield Parts for sale or wanted then there are other forums where this can be done freely.

It just strikes me that it almost diametrically opposite to the free and generous mutual exchange of information, help, advice and support which is given in the rest of the Boardroom and is less than facilitatory to all Westfield owners or enthusiasts in general. To call that a 'perk' of membership seems slightly odd to me.

I would have thought that the Moderators can clearly moderate against spam/commercial posting/garbage and be able to discriminate between these, and posts which are to the benefit of Westfield owners, be they paid members of WSCC or not.

Jim

(no longer with a vested interest so only wishing to see change because I think it will benefit Westie minded folk but *not* to the detriment of paid up members)   :)

ps. Steppenwolf, Wendy sends her regards   :D

John C. and I will in future be ensuring that our 'convoys' remain well below 12 cars, taking different routes if necessary. We will also be notifying non-WSCC members who attend our area meets and events of their responsibilities with regard to PL insurance.

i really wouldnt worry about the 12 car thing.

if you know you are going to have near 12 cars for a days run out, inform the msa as a wscc run out and let them know approximate route.

im not sure but i think they even let the bib know for you.  its probably no more than hours work all told and will save the hassle of two different routes.

the msa in this are our friends and ime very helpfull

The 'perk' being...

Jim, I haven't tested it out as I am a member but non-members can view items for sale/cars for sale I believe so they are not excluded from being potential purchasers - they just can't 'advertise' themselves - this is the 'perk' I am referring to.

Wendy sends her regards  :D

I do hope you are treating that poor girl better these days - bread and cheese .......  :D  :D

Wendy sends her regards  :D

I do hope you are treating that poor girl better these days - bread and cheese .......  :D  :D

I do appreciate that. Non Members can view items then PM sellers..  however it just seems to be putting an unneccessary obstacle in the way of anyone wanting to buy anything. This seems to me to benefit neither buyer nor seller.

In any event...  I will shut up 'bout it now   :0    :D

As for the Bread n Cheese... Remember, life is Grim up North. Especially when North is *really* North!!    :p

Jim

I also wonder about what the chairman said .............. Stephen , your house is still at risk as an AO if there is neglegence proven , and the burning a leg on an exhaust comment was a little bizzare ?? mr chairman do you worry every time you park your westfield somewhere??? your car insurance would cover you whatever as long as you have legal cover your completely safe .

however i also make a point of arriving at any meet in a sensible fashon and also leave in the same manner , something that even paid up members don't seem to consider at times???

everyone is responsible for there own actions and the whole touring assemble thing can be an utter minefield and was one reason my other half resigned as a director of another car club.

non members would be covered if they attended an event they had paid towards attending , and it would be interesting to consider the cover an invited non member had ........eg a potential new member being invited to a meet , i suspect if the could prove via the forum they had excepted an invitation to attend they may also be covered.

I also wonder about what the chairman said .............. Stephen , your house is still at risk as an AO if there is neglegence proven

Hmmmm, perhaps a club committee member could comment on this aspect of the discussion and let me know where I would stand if 'negligence' were proven. Negligence sems like a slippery snake to me as who knows what it means - for example, could it be construed as negligence to the public to gather together a bunch of guys 'n gals in fast cars for a trip round the Sussex countryside?

not wishing to stop people volenteering but the negligance aspect was the biggest single reason for hazel resigning as a director of another car club .

It really does get into a complete minefield and as you say what's negligent , that would be fore a court to decide after the event.

I also wonder about what the chairman said

Please pay attention to detail when reading posts  :D  :D  ;) twas Mr Club Secretary  ;)

It is all very well limiting posting in some boards to WSCC members, but I'm in a strange position. I am a paid up member but haven't been able to register it on this site. So as far as everyone is concerned I am one of the cheapskates who won't pay the membership fee.

It hasn't been a big problem yet. I don't want to sell anything at the moment but I may want to ask something in the flipping awkward questions forum (another restricted area).

Apart from that I am finding this board great. A really good source of information and it is good that it is accessible by everyone whether they have paid or not.

I am a paid up member but haven't been able to register it on this site. So as far as everyone is concerned I am one of the cheapskates who won't pay the membership fee.

Yes, that is one of the downsides to the current system.

Moves are afoot (albeit slowly :down:) to automate this process, such that almost as soon as your membership is approved by the Membership Secretary, your boardroom status will be updated (it'll be updated overnight I expect).

Andy

why is someone who does not want to be a paid up member a cheapskate ????

It's oly £25 a year . . . the boardroom is worth that alone don't you think ?  ???  :D

I also wonder about what the chairman said .............. Stephen , your house is still at risk as an AO if there is neglegence proven , and the burning a leg on an exhaust comment was a little bizzare ?? mr chairman do you worry every time you park your westfield somewhere??? your car insurance would cover you whatever as long as you have legal cover your completely safe .

Your house it as risk if, after a ruling against you for negligence, you can't afford to pay the costs. To this end, the club caries 5 million pounds of cover. The largest compensation award handed down by a court in the UK is around 1.5 million pounds, and that was for serious medical negligence. So, as long as the club has PL insurance, your house isn't at risk. But there are clubs around who studiously ignore this, and they do so at their peril. Their houses most certainly are at risk if it all goes pear shaped.

As for worrying where I park my car, as an individual, no, I don't.  But an organised gathering, such as Stoneleigh, Curborough, and even area meets means that we have additional responsibilities to memebers of the public who are "incidental" visitors. For the last two years, the clubs insurers have risk assessed our activities by asking me to fill in a fairly comprehensive questionairre regarding club activities, so trust me when I say that whilst the points you make are entirely reasonable, we have already thought about it, and we have ensured that we have taken appropriate action, and conducted ourselves with due dilligence. Invited guests are of course covered, but we can only extend that cover to bona fide members and their vehicles. A non member in a Westfield at a Westfield event *cannot* be indemnified against a claim by by a member of the public on the clubs insurance unless he is an invited guest. So a claim against me or my invited guest will be dealt with by the clubs insurers. A claim against you will be dealt with by your insurers. Come renewal time when they ask if there have been any claims on my Westfield policy, I can say no with a clear conscience. I suspect your premium will increase by more than 25 quid when you have to declare an expensive claim against you for negligece at your next renewal.

And yes this is worst case, but isn't that why we have insurance?