Mark Crompton

HI Guys..... I've owned my westfield black top 2.0l zetec for 9 months now however I've just sold my car but now on the hunt for my next looking at either a westfield 250 sport or a S2000. Mark

IMG-20190914-WA0000.jpeg

• Like 3

Welcome @Mark Crompton, as discussed via FB, there's a few S2000 owners on here who track more often than me: @Scotty72 @Andy (Sycho) @Tom (T3OMF) - Cotswolds AO @S2KGSYCan you gents please give Mark some advice as to which tracks you've had noise problems with etc.

• Thanks 1

Hi @Mark Crompton I have the standard S2000 single throttle body and have had no issues with noise at either Blyton, Donington or Cadwell. These are the only circuits I've done to date but hope to add to this list next year. Just to add, I dont know the db level for my car as I've not had it tested at any of the circuits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your information!! Don't suppose you know if a supercharger would increase the noise levels??

Does anybody know anybody selling as it's almost the end of season??

14 minutes ago, Mark Crompton said:

Thanks for your information!! Don't suppose you know if a supercharger would increase the noise levels??

Does anybody know anybody selling as it's almost the end of season??

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary started fitting a supercharger last winter and it's certainly made his car quieter 😎  Though that's because it'snot back on the road just yet. Another supercharged S2000 owner has fitted a 2nd silencer above the first, so I suspect it does indeed increase the noise and I'm pretty sure the factory have stopped recommending carbon cans for Supercharged S2000's due to the increased gas flow blowing them to bits!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The supercharged S2000 was quoted as being massively louder than standard NA versions when I first talked with Westfield about them a few years ago. Even in the S2000 community, the supercharged versions are regarded as way louder, despite the Honda factory twin box systems, let alone aftermarket jobs.

Caterham had massive track day noise issues with their supercharged Duratec car too, and also had to fit twin silencers, though in their case, they use a second one across the back of the car, beneath the fuel tank, with the pipe from the side mounted silencer running through the rear arch and suspension, tot he rear can.

High noise levels from the exhaust seem to be a function of the Rotrex type blowers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@AdgeC @Storvite @BugMan @Steve (sdh2903) @Rednop1 could you gents please kindly give @Mark Crompton you're views on the Sport 250?

I guess there's only Ash, who's driven both?

I have no preference, they're both great engines.

Thanks,

Ian

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

@AdgeC @Storvite @BugMan @Steve (sdh2903) @Rednop1 could you gents please kindly give @Mark Crompton you're views on the Sport 250?

I guess there's only Ash, who's driven both?

I have no preference, they're both great engines.

Thanks,

Ian

I believe both engines are comparable in performance but completely different animals, the eco boost produces its power very low down and has masses of torque, it’s not a high Erving engine, the s2000 is however completely different, it revs very high and produces its power much higher up, it’s more like a bike engine. 

Both are exciting things to drive and it depends what you want to do with the car. My  personal opinion is that if you want a fast car to use on the road go for the 250, if you want a road and track car go for the s2000, if you want a track only car go for a bec😉

the only other thing thing to consider is the s2000 has been out of production for a fair amount of time so sourcing a real nice low mileage one is difficult as the cars themselves fetch very good money, the ford unit can be bought new.

hope that helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Storvite said:

I believe both engines are comparable in performance but completely different animals, the eco boost produces its power very low down and has masses of torque, it’s not a high Erving engine, the s2000 is however completely different, it revs very high and produces its power much higher up, it’s more like a bike engine. 

Both are exciting things to drive and it depends what you want to do with the car. My  personal opinion is that if you want a fast car to use on the road go for the 250, if you want a road and track car go for the s2000, if you want a track only car go for a bec😉

I'd second that.

Without bashing the sport 250 I'd say the f20c is a better 'suited' engine to a light (ish) 7 type car. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Storvite said:

the only other thing thing to consider is the s2000 has been out of production for a fair amount of time so sourcing a real nice low mileage one is difficult as the cars themselves fetch very good money, the ford unit can be bought new.

hope that helps

If he was building agreed sourcing a good engine at a fair price will be tough! Mark's looking for a used Westie, so hopefully will be able to find one!

Agree with the above re the Sport 250, it's not a screamer, loads of torque from low down, and pulls like a train. You obviously can wind it up through the gears, not a high revving engine though, limiter comes in ~ 6800ish, not a lot of point imho as max power is 5500. Max torque 3500rpm.

Noise measued at Castle Combe trackday 96dB at 4500rpm.

Haven't driven any other WF type cars, but find the 250 is an enjoyable drive on the road, and is enjoyable on the track. However on track, cooling could be near the limit/an issue, as a few owners have found.

Hope this helps, best of luck with your search.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, AdgeC said:

Agree with the above re the Sport 250, it's not a screamer, loads of torque from low down, and pulls like a train. You obviously can wind it up through the gears, not a high revving engine though, limiter comes in ~ 6800ish, not a lot of point imho as max power is 5500. Max torque 3500rpm.

Haven't driven any other WF type cars, but find the 250 is an enjoyable drive on the road, and is enjoyable on the track. However on track, cooling could be near the limit/an issue, as a few owners have found.

I was at Snetterton on the hottest day of the year and I was at 120 degrees so couldn't use the car, it even runs hot on the road so I have just had MK sportscars fit an oil cooler above the rad, between the intercooler pipes and it also has a fan on the back along with ducting, will be interesting what temps I now see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Storvite said:

I was at Snetterton on the hottest day of the year and I was at 120 degrees so couldn't use the car, it even runs hot on the road so I have just had MK sportscars fit an oil cooler above the rad, between the intercooler pipes and it also has a fan on the back along with ducting, will be interesting what temps I now see.

Was that 120degC water and oil? Be really interested to see how you get on, would appreciate you keeping us posted. Thanks.

Apologies to OP, but cooling is a topic of great interest to most 250 owners on here.

Yes water temp, ignition was retarding and loss of power, was the wrong day of the year for a trackday so it didn’t help but I wanted it done so I didn’t have to worry, thing is though I’ve since bought a track car so probably didn’t need to go to the expense of it all🤦‍♂️

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

If he was building agreed sourcing a good engine at a fair price will be tough! Mark's looking for a used Westie, so hopefully will be able to find one!

8 hours ago, AdgeC said:

Wow guys thanks for your feedback it's been a very interesting read!!!!! I'm in Rugeley don't suppose any of you are local ish to me?? I was speaking to a guy at stoneleigh with a almost brand new 250 sport in orange over black it also had a greyhound on the bonnet he mentioned cooling issues and let me sit in his car starting it up to see the digital dash!!!!

• Like 1