First time Peak District

Quinten

I started planning our route to try and get as many of @Quinten's desired places in, shortly after offering to guide him round in place of a fairly dull drive to GBS.

In parallel, I'd suggested using my favoured Whatsapp live location to aid finding each other and staying in contact during the trip etc. Very quickly the trip gained attention from others wanting to join us including @Paul Hurdsfield, @bioman and kibriya Ahmad (NWKCOG friend) from the North and also @LukeW and @Nemesis who ducked the Evo triangle in favour of the peaks! Whilst putting the way points into my TomTom software on my PC, I was getting regular prompts from the growing Whatsapp group as to what time we'd be at the Devil's Ar$e car park ! I also had domestic chores to complete to earn forgiveness for spending a Saturday without the family😂

image.png.8cee5021440a44e1c643b26e86a7943b.png

I eventually suggest 11am for meeting up with the 'Northern Rabble' (that's north of Stoke on Trent and not to be confused with @Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO's Hobbit Squad 😉).

@Quinten suggested an 8:00am meet at M&S Ashbourne. @LukeW wasn't so excited to hear about such an early start! 

I was pleased to see messages as I ate my breakfast showing the really early birds had left their nests:

It was great to see as I set off, where both @LukeW, @bioman & @Quinten were in Whatsapp too. Leason 2, on how to set a more useful profile pic than a grey silhouette would be at breakfast no.2.

image.png.80bddd14af65d8ca0d63d1227d327319.png

@LukeW (Red S2000)& Paul @Nemesis  (yellow Rover V8- named the ASBO) stopped for breakfast with Ronald:

image.png.489373cd6b52d5ca70437edcf09a0c3d.png

As I approached Ashbourne, I could see kibriya had set off too (Yes another bland grey, silhouette!) 

image.png.4d07e7a46f68be06015e6b561f545ff7.png

I had a nice uneventful run to M&S at Ashbourne as was met with a virtually empty car park!

image.png.fe0fc86ebb044ab925d4e01f798013fb.png

I was shortly joined by @Quinten and his son in his Mini.

Coffee's and cakes were soon ordered in M&S (Thanks Quinten!), and @lukew arrived with @Nemesis

We set off bang on our planned 8:30am departure time, and made a quick visit for fuel for Paul.

image.png.03169d9d7de5456ee3f60ce0164bfb7c.png

After we'd waited for Paul to clean his windscreen (3 aeroscreened owners puzzled by this requirement:p)

Here's @LukeW modelling his 'Peak District Summer Range of Clothing'

image.png.3fd1723a7cabc467aea17239adc2abdc.png

We then had a nice quiet drive up the high street in Ashbourne and then up to Ilam. 

After Ilam, we headed to Wetton Mill and then through ASBO Tunnel (Swainsley Tunnel). I hope the dog and it's owners just outside the entrance enjoyed it as much as 4 Westie's and a Mini did! :praise: (It was on a lead).

We then went passed Hulme End (no stops for cake) and through Harrington, passing Tagg Lane Dairy (No stops for cake or Ice Cream) and into Bakewell. Driving along the Infamous 13 bends. Once in Bakewell we took the road down past Chatsworth house, turned round at Calton Lees Car Park (leaving a bemused parking attendant!), and drove back to get the better view of the house. 

image.png.520222eb724f1b92b1a0ddb2c220c3e1.png

We then got even closer:

image.png.08562c4b85b9be420c32d0fef2574d1e.png

We then took the road through Hassop towards the Devil's Ar$e car park.

As we travelled, my phone indicated @Paul Hurdsfield was calling. It was circa 10:20am.  As I was leading, talking to @LukeW via blue tooth headset, who was holding up the rear of the convoy and following my TomTom, I wasn't able to take the call. However could see via Whatsapp that the 'Northern Rabble' where close.

A few miles further on we found @bioman @Paul Hurdsfield & Kibriyah waiting at the side of the road, so they joined the convoy and we were now 7 Westfields and a mini.

The cars were parked in colour groups at the Devil's Ar$e carpark 

image.png.3563a8a396616d578f6bbfdfef4b5048.png

We discovered Kibriyah had broke his cycle wing for a second timein recent weeks and hence we all displayed the normal NWKCOG sympathy he's used to:

image.png.f3e139ccb72328f2f8129a8acf0e96af.png

@LukeW may get to regret smiling so well later 😉

We then left the carpark to drive up Winnat's pass together. Just as I turned off the main road to head up the pass, @LukeW started to indicate issues with his car over the headset. Due to the traffic and the convoy, I suggest we'd carry on up the pass and I'd come back to help him.

At the top of the pass @bioman and @Paul Hurdsfield kindly agreed to lead the convoy to the Rambler Inn and I'd go and see what had happened to @LukeW

This meant I'd got to drive down Winnat's pass 😎

I easily found @LukeW who was being assisted by our tail running mini driven by @Quinten's son Justin. They'd already got the Mini jack out under the Westfield and established the CV Joint to the driver's side rear hub had come away! (He had been on track on Curborough on Thu!).

We suspected the 6 pins holding it together had possibly come loose and then sheared off, so we expected it wouldn't be a quick fix as broken studs would need to be extracted from the hubs etc. Luke was happy to book the 'truck of shame' and go and sit in a nearby pub to wait. Hence I then drove up Winnat's pass again, with Justin behind me in the Mini.

image.png.c2c2069c62b4e23b67bfa11c35410461.png

I found the rest of the gang at the Rambler Inn, who had kindly un-chained the entrance before 12, just to let us in and no other cars!

image.png.a32ff48bfaa1f80f55449f91d8e7a078.png

@Paul Hurdsfield, @bioman and kibriya weren't able to join us for lunch and shortly headed their separate ways. 

The rest of us were well fed and watered by the staff as usual.

We then headed to the east side of the Snake pass, but rather than take the top road to hope, we though we ought to drive past @LukeW  as we were worried he was drowning his sorrows

image.png.c0f204dc24ab349ebe67800475e2d2be.png

We told him we were coming past and he did ask us to check his car was okay, were he'd dumped it! We advised that some of it was still there and 'peeped' as we went past the Watering Hole he was stranded in! We'd advised Luke to ensure they sent a flat bed etc, and guess what...................they didn't.......... The RAC Patrol Man was able to confirm what was expected:

image.png.ccee52b7dc8ea2d50d60f04c186e37ef.pngimage.png.0e3f52463ecb4c6c103828b762decf12.png    

The chunk out of the upright may weld up, but I think @LukeW is hoping to replace with new.

We started the snake pass next to Ladybower Reservoir and quickly turned right for a look a Derwent Dam.

I was keen to see if the water level had risen from a family trip there last Nov, when it looked like this:

image.png.4d1b7a68681697f922261b5381872180.png

Alas, we seemed to have somehow, driven past a road closure and moved a cone, to access the Dam Viewing Point.

Google street view pic below:

image.png.632ad2cbf3feb7ec3683ec09b7ac48e8.png

No sooner had we jumped out to take this photo:

image.png.649eaa101d1323a3e9dcc4a5436e1d70.png

When a lovely Ranger Lady arrived, to tell us what naughty boys we'd been and how we'd best jump into our toys and F.O.!

We were polite, apologetic and she still carried on to tell us what she was going to do if we had the audacity to drive up another road too (Note to self, need to find this one too :p).

Shame she didn't seem to give the same warm, welcoming treatment to all the owners in tin tops, parked on all the grass verges with double yellows on the way in!

@Nemesis was in need to 'water the flowers' but we felt it best not to dangle, little Paul at her, so we did as we were LOUDLY told and got out of there!

We then drove westbound on the Snake Pass almost into Glossop. Next we headed south passing through Hayfield ( @Julie Hall - Peak District AO would have know the county show was on and avoided the area). We did get caught up slightly in the Senior Fell Race closing the road briefly, but we were only waiting a few minutes.

Next was a fuel stop in Buxton and onto the Cat and Fiddle, I was conscious at this point that I'd not delivered one of @Quinten's aim. So we quicky peeled off left and headed to a very busy Blaze Farm (They've got the builders in too, so the car parking is reduced).

Here's a tripple dutch Ice Cream:

image.png.f09a2a9653cbea975a86438e51124e22.png

We then headed back to were we'd left the Cat and Fiddle and drove the rest of it towards Macclesfield. The Cat and Fiddle Pub did have a lot of vehicles (mainly bikes) parked there, but we weren't sure if it was actually back open again.

Once in Macc, we headed south and called into the Rudyard Hotel briefly (Yes, they still let me in after my birthday attire from last year!).

image.png.6d8c3ee1de9b83a61488cc88ce011a4c.png

We had a quick look at the lake (despite it been virtually in my back Garden, I couldn't confirm the connection between the author and the lake's name- It's actually the author was named after the lake- http://www.rudyardlake.com/rudyard-kipling/).

We then said our goodbyes and headed for home.

I hope all had a good day, and it's it not another 21 years before @Quinten comes to visit? Especially so I can see his lovely wheels again! They really suit his car and are so unique:

image.png.b3491ab39cd6c4f3a83b9cb9db5ca242.png

Catching up with @LukeW later, he did get a flat bed, eventually and got his car safely home.

image.png.32fd4652bc12bd7ac06607c8e054be93.png

• Like 9

8F06B517-47EA-4E69-AC7D-7DD69A8FB29E.thumb.jpeg.44d229d2c7a592bbd672b64b20fcbfb0.jpeg2EA33DAB-7B3B-4846-8205-ECE77BA6232D.thumb.jpeg.a3e2553003fb2f74fc2ece095c5ea974.jpeg

back home one I did make it!!!! 

Thanks for a great half a day around the peaks, and thanks to the very lovely bunch that kept me company in the pub whilst waiting for the truck of shame!! 

Glad @Quinten enjoyed it 

sorry I wasn’t able to drive back with @Nemesis

@IanK (Bagpuss) thanks for organising and I apologies for making you drive winnats pass 3 times 👍🏼

• Like 4

Hi all, what a fantastic write up @IanK (Bagpuss). The "northern rabble" enjoyed ourselves and it was great to meet up with some fellow WSCC members. The whatsapp is a fantastic app to have when meeting cars coming from different directions. I think this years Blats on such a scale will be out the window until 2020 but who knows? Thanks again and for the refreshment ( Diet Fanta Orange) it really was welcome. Sorry that @LukeW had his problem but glad he got home eventually . Nice to meet you @Quinten  and @Nemesis

Bioman

• Like 1

What a fantastic day out it was, and what great planning was put into it by Ian.  Julie, I'd be a little concerned ;)  I've just had a look at what Google thinks I've driven

image.png.3397aae518d724dbdd4e20469e6426fe.png.9862a0f3d99a6216c7286bf32ad8819e.png

and at nearly 300 miles I think we've done well!

What Ian missed just after Luke's unfortunate breakdown was Nemesis and I trying to turn around our cars after Paul H wasn't sure where the turn off to The Ramblers Inn was, on a cobbled path with a grass bank as high as Mam Tor and a cattle grid at the start.  I beached myself on the bank and we had to push the car off after which I let it roll a little down the path until I reached the cattle grid, where I promptly put my leg in just as I was reaching for the hand brake to stop the car...  If I'd missed or was a second later I would have for sure returned home on a stretcher with a crushed leg 😲

Anyway, slightly burned head and painful right ankle aside, I've loved every minute of it and will be back for more Peaky adventures.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oops sorry about that guys (again) I have some video footage of my misdemeanours 🤣

• Like 1

Wow, nice write up, no red pen from this teacher with the ‘could do better’, just awesome, it was a great day out and I’ve just a huge thanks to offer to everyone for the fun, let’s do more of this at every opportunity!

I was thinking of renaming the ASBO..... how does the “Prostate” sound? After all it just can’t pass a service station!

Nem....

• Haha 2

Ok guys bear with me this is the first time i have uploaded a video, i'm still learning.

Edit to add:- ooh it worked first time :d

• Like 4

When we got to the top of winnats, Ian told me that Luke had a problem back in Hope and that he would go back and could i lead the pack to The rambler in, of course i said yes, but i'm getting on a bit and my sense of direction isn't what it was :blush:

Looking for somewhere to turn around.

• Thanks 1

@Paul Hurdsfield some great green lanes, you've taken there! 

Can you please stay closer to me up Winnat's as I can't see my car until the top 😎

Glad you've cracked the video editing :praise:

Finally made it !!! :d :yellow-westy: :yellow-westy: :yellow-westy: :westy: :westy:

• Thanks 1

Ok just so Mr @Bagpuss doesn't feel left out :white-westy:

I do have another video of Mr K performing what can only be described as a full moon, but i dont think the mods will like it on a family site.

• Like 1

Saved by the directors cut. 😲

• Like 1