First time Peak District

Quinten

Seeing as the weather is kind this Saturday (and may not be for the longer forecast) and I've never been to the Peak District yet I am considering the below

1982331132_Screenshot2019-09-1921_38_20.png.eb29ae30c0bffd8c566c6a7e120e4df8.png

From those that have more experience, is the above doable?  I'm having to come from Northampton, so no idea whether the time that Google thinks things take, is going to be a reflection of the true driving conditions.  Am thinking of setting of at 7am (from Northampton) and start off with a hearty breakfast before attacking the Peaks...

Any other suggestions welcomed too!

• Like 1

The only thing I’d say, is the Snake Pass, and Cat and Fiddle road, though great roads, are bad for speed cameras - mobile units in the case of the Pass, whilst sadly, the Cat and Fiddle has had fifty mile an hour average cameras for years now. There are many utterly fantastic roads in the Peaks though, so absolutely worth a visit.

Cheers Dave.  I dont usually drive above the speed limits on roads I'm not familiar with, but I'll take great care to ensure I'm not!

How about joining the peak District run-out this Sunday?

Ah - edit - just looked at the weather forecast.... ☹️

I'm meeting @Quinten at 8:00am at M&S Ashbourne, if anyone wishes to join us. We'll aim to leave by 8:30am.

Waterside Retail Park, B1-B2 Clifton Rd, Ashbourne DE6 1DG

Aim to park somewhere near the cars highlighted in yellow:

image.png.af1ba169aed0e2dfdba6a6347b28bf46.png

• Like 1

The route won't be as Quinten's but will aim to cover his wa ypoints, of Snake Pass, Cat and Fiddle, Winnats, etc + Asbo tunnel. Please don't confuse this with one of @Julie Hall - Peak District AO well organised and test driven routes. We'll make at lot of it up on the day 😎

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quinten said:

But we may still do cake ;)   Just to clarify... 😂

I'm not going to be popular once she's back from her hols and discovered I've pinched her chums and you've eaten all the cake!:praise:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bioman said:

Hi Quinten, I could meet up tomorrow morning? what time? I'm Winnats pass area.

The exact route is being planned, but Ian will know the approx times....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bioman said:

Hi Quinten, I could meet up tomorrow morning? what time? I'm Winnats pass area.

Hi Richard, that would be great. I've dropped you and slasher a PM. I'm still route planning so will advise later. I'd guess 10-11 ish for Winnats.

@IanK (Bagpuss) not at all, quite the contrary, you will do a fantastic job of showing off the Peak District and making sure the cafes stay open by eating their cake.

We stayed a few hours longer in the Lake District this morning so we are home later than originally planned, but we did discuss diverting off the M1 and coming down through the Peak District, it would have been great to have seen you all.

We hope you have had a fab day and that the roads were as quiet as the M1 was xxx

19 hours ago, Julie Hall - Peak District AO said:

@IanK (Bagpuss) not at all, quite the contrary, you will do a fantastic job of showing off the Peak District and making sure the cafes stay open by eating their cake.

We stayed a few hours longer in the Lake District this morning so we are home later than originally planned, but we did discuss diverting off the M1 and coming down through the Peak District, it would have been great to have seen you all.

We hope you have had a fab day and that the roads were as quiet as the M1 was xxx

A great day was had indeed! It would have been good to have had you join us at some point! It was rather busy in the afternoon and I'm sure you'd have found quieter routes than I did!

I'll shortly write up the day and hope @Quinten and others will chip in too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Julie Hall - Peak District AO said:

A great day was had indeed! It would have been good to have had you join us at some point! It was rather busy in the afternoon and I'm sure you'd have found quieter routes than I did!

I'll shortly write up the day and hope @Quinten and others will chip in too.