Prorogation of Parliament.

DonPeffers

2 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

What baffles me is why Corbyn, McDonnell and the Supreme Soviet of the Labour Party appear to want to either remain or have some form of deal. McDonnell's Marxist plans for the country would be impossible to achieve in the EU, and only a clean break makes them possible. Surely they aren't faking their opposition to leaving with no agreement for political gain are they?

I agree, much of what JC suggests he wants would be blocked under EU state aid rules. Problem is JC looks like “the silly led by the sinister.”

53 minutes ago, Alan France said:

I agree, much of what JC suggests he wants would be blocked under EU state aid rules. Problem is JC looks like “the silly led by the sinister.”

One of the 'useful idiots' of alleged Lenin fame. 

BOB260818_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqeo_i_u9APj8R

A few questions:

Which country chose to leave the worlds largest trading bloc at the time and go on it’s own?

What country took the risk of dividing it’s people?

Which country took a reckless step into the unknown, in the hope of a more prosperous future, away from outside interference?

Answer, the USA in 1776.

Worked out quite well for them?

(with due reference to Nicholas Young)

2 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

In a lot of ways the USA is a lot more broken than we are.

True dat. Their election system is clearly broken. It is deonstrably possible to buy the presidency. And of course, gun laws, to name but 3.

• Like 1

You are right, they have problems. We had a home there for a few years and they are really good at quite a lot of things.

• 3 weeks later...

"In his two months in power, Boris Johnson has lost his first six Commons votes, broken the law by suspending Parliament and misled the monarch."

Good start by old boris and the Tories. At least they are doing a damn fine job of making politics entertaining :d

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mrs May tried to do Brexit the nice way and... Failed.     I’m un-decided on boris, but I can see that with more MP’s against Brexit he has little choice to push the limits to break the stalemate in parliament let alone the EU.   I fail To see how he can can deliver Brexit with his hands tied,  when MP’s have voted can’t leave with out a deal, the current deal is unacceptable,  without any negotiation clout he’s unlikely to get a better deal.    MP’s would probably vote any deal down anyway because they want us to stay.   Not to mention the EU...  it’s a bl**** mess! 

• Like 2

With my cynic hat on and ignoring (legal) reason for a moment...

For me It's a big so what. It's a bit like driving without an MOT, yes it's wrong and unlike this judgement, there is a consequence. There is fine to pay. But that's it. In the grand scheme of things I'll bet the cops are more irritated than the "law breaker". So proroguing was illegal. The result? Parliament sits again to debate "the issues". It doesn't take us forwards. In fact it takes us back down the same cul-de-sac which does no-one any good.

So those opposed to Brexit won a court case and will be calling for Boris to resign. IE they want yet more chaos. But they still lost the Brexit vote. They are still demonstrating an enormous lack of respect for the result of the referendum. Leaving is still the will of the people. So those opposed will put a LOT of energy into trying to oust Boris and all the while the clock is still ticking. Like they're going to find something in the next 5 weeks that they missed in the preceding 3 years... 

And lets not kid ourselves. There are plenty of commentators saying this is a separate "thing" from Brexit but who do they think they're fooling? If there was no Brexit stand-off none of this would be happening.

Hey Boris... keep calm and carry on. 

I'm so steamed I'm whistling when I pee... :oops: 

We have gone down a very dangerous path with the law being used by the remainer lobby. Listening to the radio this afternoon a political commentator was saying that this opens up the floodgates for everyone to take to the law to make parliament bend to it's will.

Take the green lobby, if the Government is not doing what they want go to court and force an issue, get like minded MP's to support it and parliament will be mired and unable to function. This will be used as a precedent for years to come.

They galling thing for me is the remainers are stacking up everything against the 17.4 million who voted to leave to steal their vote. From John Snow on channel 4 who was basically saying wait a bit longer and a lot will have died who voted leave, to Keir Starmer saying Labour will give 16 year old the vote on the EU even though they cannot vote in the GE.

What these remainers cannot see is the EU will win if we do remain now. That will mean even less control due to the Maastricht Treaty  that Major signed us up to and also a EU army and the Euro inevitably to follow. And today the EU council, in a move so crass with what is happening have approved a larger budget for private jet travel by the leaders. So whilst they fawn at Greta Thunberg shouting at adults for the environment, they want others to make the sacrifices and pay for them.

This is going to roll on and on and at Least Boris has tried to make things happen and if there was a GE tomorrow he would walk it now as many are seeing this as a parliament who refuse to act as per the vote, a judiciary who has allowed itself to be used to thwart everything left for the PM to use to get a deal or get us out.

Last week the EU was making all the right noises and wanted a deal, now they see us beaten by our own countrymen and women and beaten so badly I fail to see the wounds being healed for a generation at least.

Just one comment about Greta, based on words from Mark Twain.

When I was 14 years old my father was really ignorant.

As I got older he improved.

When I reached 21 I was amazed how much he had learnt in 7 years.

• Like 2

On 10/07/2019 at 18:34, Blatman said:

It's all bluff. I really want to believe that when it comes right down to it, Parliament will not go against the democratic will of the people. Until we are at 23:59 this is all just noise...

Still dare to believe Blatters?    Not me, I think Brexit as a concept is over now, I don't fear for me, I'm 64 and there is little damage remaining can do me. The future for our children looks bleak to me, within an EU of which Corbyn himself said "It is undemocratic, the power is not with the MEPs, it is with the European council and the European commission"