Prorogation of Parliament.

DonPeffers

Today  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48934781   "Major: I will seek a judicial review to stop Parliament shutdown"  "Sir John said such a move would be "utterly and totally unacceptable".

and yet 

https://order-order.com/2019/07/10/john-major-prorogued-parliament-1997-avoid-cash-questions-scrutiny/     " Major didn’t have such a problem with proroguing Parliament when he abused his power to do so in 1997 in order to delay the publication of a highly embarrassing report into the “cash for questions”sleaze scandal involving his Government. Flagrant hypocrisy even by his standards, he must be glad no-one sued him then…"

You couldn't make it up.

• Like 3

Politicians :bangshead:

It's all bluff. I really want to believe that when it comes right down to it, Parliament will not go against the democratic will of the people. Until we are at 23:59 this is all just noise...

On 10/07/2019 at 18:34, Blatman said:

Until we are at 23:59 this is all just noise...

I thought we had reached  '23:59' with the first withdrawal date of 29 March 2019 but with days to go an extension was applied for and granted (not a surprise). Then a second extension after 12 April 2019 deadline missed and yesterday talk from Donald Tusk of granting another extension beyond 31 October 2019.

The Doomsday Clock never reaches midnight (thankfully) and so it may be with the EU withdrawal clock.

It's a fair point, but I still believe that when it comes right down to it, parliament knows they haven't really got much more room to move. The will of the people must be carried out.

I fear if the entrepreneur gets in he'll drag EU withdrawal into 2020 then decide the original mandate is too old to be valid so hey-ho we need another referendum vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46591250  Brexit: How Europe does second referendums.

A short, sad history lesson of an undemocratic EU NOT listening to the people.

The choice is:-   destroy your democracy  OR   risk damaging your economy.

Does the German auto industry really want 10% tariffs and delays on its cars coming into UK?

We'll soon know who the next PM is and see if they live up to any of their promises.

17 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

Does the German auto industry really want 10% tariffs and delays on its cars coming into UK?

Does [insert eu country here] want xx tariffs on [insert product here] coming in to the UK?

Does the EU really think that their mandarins can dictate to French/Italian farmers, German industrialists, Spanish fruit growers, Dutch flower growers etc etc that they are no longer allowed to compete for UK business and instead must find new markets for their products and produce?

All the while, with us free of having to satisfy 28 other countries we'll buy our fruit from Florida and our wine from Chile and our beef from Argentina and we'll get our spuds and carrots and swedes from UK farmers instead of paying them to grow nothing om some of their land. Or the French/Italians/Germans/Dutch etc can come to us and offer a trade deal to keep the status quo. Hmmmmm...

• Like 2

I agree with the point made by Paul and last point made by Blatman - trade is a two way process so does the EU want our money or not and the employment that our money provides for these other countries. 

My own thought is that some EU countries are givers and others are takers. We are a giver. Next in line? Ireland (allegedly). 

The EU folk in Brussels are interested in their pensions and holding the group of nations together.  They do not care about outward trade for the individual EU countries.  The don’t see that Brexit was any way there own fault.  The EU Folk in Brussels simply want to make it as bad for us as possible to prevent others from leaving.   The EU's approach is like mine to parenting.  I work on the if they do something wrong I punish, it's the deterrent approach, which definitely does not work if you want your kids countries to actually like you.     My wife's is to reward for good behavour.   Maybe the EU should be listening to it's members,  rewarding good behavour, reason with them nicely and be liked buy its  kids   countries.     

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48983089    14 July 2019   

"Bastille Day: Police clash with yellow vests after parade"

_107876872_mediaitem107876871.jpg

Someone said that yesterday's violence and protests (the 35th week of yellow vest demonstrations) weren't in the spirit of Bastille Day.

The storming of the Bastille was all about freedom and overcoming oppression and it seems today's hierarchy is as out of touch as 230 years ago.

C'est la vie.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1153169/brexit-news-latest-gina-miller-sky-news-no-deal-letter-boris-johnson-tory-leadership

Gina Miller confronted on new anti-Brexit plot - 'Who on Earth do you think you are?'.....quizzed by Sky News presenter Niall Paterson.

Gina Miller wrote a letter to Boris Johnson which asked him to provide notice, should he become Prime Minister, if he plans to suspend Parliament and push through a no deal Brexit. The businesswoman was confronted by Sky News presenter Niall Paterson over the letter, and questioned on whether it is another attempt to “thwart” Brexit. Standing in for Sophy Ridge yesterday, Mr Paterson read out the letter to Mr Johnson from Ms Miller’s lawyers: “'We request that you undertake not to advise Her Majesty the Queen, should you become Prime Minister, to prorogue Parliament, without first providing 7 days’ notice to our client'.

Ms Miller replied: “Each of us in a democracy, each of us have the right as a citizen to exercise our legitimate questions of the courts.

Only the well-funded in reality.

• 1 month later...

With Prorogation supposedly happening during week beginning 09 September it seems (depending on legal challenges) that, including the Party Conference Season running 14 Sep to 06 Oct 2019, our MPs could miss a maximum of 8 days access to 9 subsidised Commons bars.

Clearly this represents a constitutional outrage and people have taken to the streets in support or our MPs' needs.

550 of our representatives campaigned and were elected in 2017 based on manifesto promises to respect the result of the referendum. 

Three years on, having been asked to vote on multiple ways of leaving, they have made it clear that they have no intention of doing so, they promised one thing, and are now doing what they want!  That, in my opinion, is when our democracy ended,  the real affront to democracy happened then, not this week. 

There isn't only one kind of democracy, the referendum was an exercise in 'Direct Democracy', if the prime minister executes the will of the people when parliament refuses to, that is democratic.

Everything I have heard in three years is 'we should stay in because coming out will be costly' rather than 'we should stay in because here are the good things about being in'.   It is shaping like one of those gym memberships that held you captive with an unfair contract - they were outlawed 5 years ago by the Office of Fair Trading, as was. 

The question we should ask ourselves is - if we weren't in, but had a referendum on joining now, would we, and why? 

JIm

I think its time we just got on with it now, just get on with it and get on with mopping up the aftermath. Mainly because I think any sane person is sick to the back teeth of hearing the 'B' word, and also it will stop the daily Tv appearances of Farage and Rees-mogg talking crap.

Boris is either playing a blinder here with his top poker face making the EU actually think we want to leave with no deal, or he's gone all cavalier and wants to lead us into a complete mess come-what-may.

i genuinely cant decide which it is.........