Abingdon Track Day 16th May 2014

Dommo

As this will be my first track day - can anyone draw on experience and provide a 'what to bring list' or what I shouldn't bother bringing? Remember I will be driving there in the Westfield so space is limited!

Also I'll be heading up from Bristol along the M4 for parts of the journey, anyone en-route?

Yeah you are. Its Swindon East Id probably come off the M4

Probably ideal, we met at the shopping bit by the A420 last time. Well, I say we, I didn't really make it on time for that bit.

I know where you mean, just off the A419/A420 roundabout, its a Sainsburys there from memory? I know where you mean. Can plan closer to the time.

I'll be taking a mini tool kit and wrench set, duck tape etc which can get you out of most sticky fixes.

Others at track days who trailer/have tin tops take full on tool kits, jacks etc and if needed they're more than happy to lend for 10 mins I've always found.

I'll be travelling down the A417 from Cheltenham :)

Famous last words - hope I dont need any tools but may take the time to learn my way around westfield diy!

Others have much more experience than me but this is broadly the advice I got and follow:

Give the car a good look over during the week before - check fluids, that everything is torqued up, brake discs/pads, tyres and all okay plus pressures and wheel bolts torqued.  Remember your driving licence, helmet, boots etc and refuel (but don't overfill) before you get there.

Take a basic tool kit, plenty of fuel - 20 ltrs, duck tape, WD40, torque wrench for wheels, pressure gauge, pump and some spares (fuses, oil, front brake pads, exhaust bobbin, throttle cable etc) - the atmosphere in the pits is generally friendly and other will help out if you don't have something.  Worth taking an umbrella and fold up seat if you have the space. Ideally go with a group and agree who's taking what from a tools, awning, spares perspective

Get there well in time, listen to the safety brief and do the sighting laps.  Work your way into, it a warm up lap followed by 6-8 fast laps and a cool down lap then come in and reflect on what went well and what you need to focus on.  Check the car over - fluids, pressures, brakes and wheel nut torque etc.  Repeat as often as you can but take time to chat to others,  possibly go for a ride with more experienced drivers to see their lines/gears/speed through corners etc.  Get some tuition perhaps 2 x 20 mins mid morning and mid afternoon.

Last of all enjoy yourself and stop when you're getting tired, don't over do it in the last hour - especially if you have to drive home.

• Like 1

Jon - great post! Thankyou!!!

Matt - "A420 Shrivenham bypass will shut between Watchfield and Lower Bourton for seven weeks from 21 July" but thankyou! I do use this road occasionally for Shrivenham and onwards to Silverstone so good to know.

As this will be my first track day - can anyone draw on experience and provide a 'what to bring list' or what I shouldn't bother bringing? Remember I will be driving there in the Westfield so space is limited!

Also I'll be heading up from Bristol along the M4 for parts of the journey, anyone en-route?

I'm midway between J16/17.  I can join you at J17 if you want to meet up and start a mini-convoy to Swindon and beyond.

Jon - great post! Thankyou!!!

Matt - "A420 Shrivenham bypass will shut between Watchfield and Lower Bourton for seven weeks from 21 July" but thankyou! I do use this road occasionally for Shrivenham and onwards to Silverstone so good to know.

Doh! I'd not read it properly as I picked it up on a local Facebook page. They were talking about it like it was next week!

Shall we start a list of people who have booked?

1. Paul

1. Paul

2. Chris

1. Paul (Paulm3)

2. Chris (CL290005)

3. Rich (CrisisWolf)