Darve's Build Diary

darve

Ahh - the parrot

I have only just sent him back to the factory

Bet he learned a few new words since you started! :d

Shame he wasn't taking notes, could have then fixed the errors in the build manual when he got back :d
  • Like 1

The new factory bird has been trained by an unknown WSCC member (very NSFW language):

Clicky at your own risk

He did

His new phrase is.............................................."I need to ask Mark"

He did

His new phrase is.............................................."I need to ask Mark"

probably one i'm going to need :)

probably one i'm going to need :)

Dont worry, when the parrot arrives he will know what stages of the build to say it at

would this be a good plan for the donor parts:

remove loose rust and dirt

por15 marine clean

por15 rust prevention paint

or is the step 2 not required?

would this be an ok procedure for all parts (including gearbox) other than engine? will use high temperature paint in the engine

Dont worry, when the parrot arrives he will know what stages of the build to say it at

start, middle and end perhaps :)

por15 marine clean

would this be an ok procedure for all parts (including gearbox) other than engine? will use high temperature paint in the engine

I didnt bother with gearbox or diff. I did the engine block. You cant really see any of those three.

I did the drive shafts, uprights and prop with hammerite

Each to their own though darve

I didn't get a parrot with my kit ???

por15 marine clean

I don't see anything wrong with that and if going for por15 then I'd also use the marine clean. Much like Gary I did mine with smoothrite from an aerosol, although the uprights are starting to look a bit tired now after 4 years. I didn't do the diff or the box other than giving them a good clean and degrease.

thanks chaps. making all the parts look pretty will give me more time to save up the ££££ for the build :)

smokey, did that fabricator shorten your sump? if so, you don't happen to have the dimensions he worked to do you ?

I want to start pulling the donor apart :) must be patient

bump :)

Darve, its your build thread if you feel the need to bump it get on with the build! ;) ;)

Por15 is lovely tough stuff, but don't forget if it's going to be on an exposed part, it really needs top coating with something else too, as it's not UV stable on its own.

Oh and if you've never used it before, do, no really, DO believe all the warnings on the packaging about not getting it on skin and clothes. It'll stick to skin as well as it does metal, and takes a surprisingly long time to wear off your fingers :d

I've used POR-15 on my uprights, rear diff and some other bits. I used POR15 engine enamel on the engine and was going to use it on the gearbox (that gets warm-ish so why not), but I got itchy feet and just fitted it before I got around to it.