A Newbies View Of The Wscc!

Lordbenny

Some valid points and opinions to be sure - my unemotional 2p (might be worth substantially less):

> Non-members can post in and see most areas of the boardroom. I think it's entirely fair that only paying members can post free ads, but non-members can still see the ads. If a non-member wants to contact a seller, it's not the non-member's fault if the seller doesn't list contact details in the ad, it's either the seller's fault or the seller's privacy preference (to avoid spammers, day dreamers and tyre kickers). In either case, non-members can leave a message in the Chat area, which has always seemed to work in the past.

> I have no idea what the technology behind the boards is like with regards to being able to limit a non-member to a certain number of searches, posts, etc before forcing them to pay for further access, but if that technology is available and cannot be abused, then it should be considered. How that might be scuppered is if it cannot automatically detect and block IP addresses of those guests who have used the boards and then simply created a new account when their "free" time runs out - this could create a constant logistical nightmare of a millstone for the membership secretary and webmaster and support team, and also lead to hit-and-run abuse from trolls and keyboard warriors. In any case, it's up to someone to post something in the New Generation area and ask the question there to determine the feasibility of such a thing if they feel strongly enough about it.

> I believe PMs and personal profile information are items best kept for paying members in order to protect their privacy from prying eyes and pestering posts of the unscrupulous trolls and nasty critters of the Internet. I don't see this as barring or discriminating against non-members, but as a benefit for protecting paying members. Surely there's no reason for a non-member, if they are as serious about Westfields as we are, to be hiding anything - is there?

> Let's try not to forget just what a leap this boardroom is over the previous one just six weeks ago. This one is much better, offers more features, has a search function that actually works, and looks like it possibly has more to offer later, with blogs and other features there but not yet activated. This costs money.

> I maintain that all the information from previous posts has a real and tangible value that should not be given away easily and for free to non-members within and using the tools of the boardroom (which costs money to provide), particularly when non-members can very easily just Google it off the boards, and when members usually fall over themselves to help non-members when they ask questions in the boards. The only thing non-members lose out on is speed of response in answering their queries - and not by much.

> While there has been some polarised and perhaps at times harsh attitudes from members towards non-members since the changeover, the same can be said in reverse of a few of those non-members who in the past enjoyed the considerable luxury of what was essentially a massive Haynes manual for Westfields without making a financial contribution towards the maintenance of that manual, and now find themselves having to work slightly harder to get that info - but only slightly - and are crying foul. I don't think either party is whiter than white - but he who pays the piper... In this age of instant electronic knowledge access and gratification, it's all too easy to take it all for granted and to look at what we don't get for free, instead of what excellent value we do get when we pay a fair price for something of great worth.

• Like 2

"I think it's entirely fair that only paying members can post free ads" Agree. But by helping non member get in touch with sellers, is technically going against the intentions of the boardroom rules?

" I maintain that all the information from previous posts has a real and tangible value that should not be given away easily and for free" As I said earlier, if a non member approached you at a show, and asked how on earth have you managed to connect your grumble valve to your off side vent thruster, would you tell them, they'll have to join the club before you can reveal all. :)

"Let's try not to forget just what a leap this boardroom is over the previous one just six weeks ago. This one is much better, offers more features, " How the hell do you do individual quotes on this new fangled boardroom? :blush:

That's another 4p :down:

"I think it's entirely fair that only paying members can post free ads" Agree. But by helping non member get in touch with sellers, is technically going against the intentions of the boardroom rules?

Not at all. If a non-member posts their contact details, which is then seen by the seller, it's up to the seller to decide whether or not the potential buyer is serious, and whether or not to contact them. I would never pass the seller's details on to the non-member.

" I maintain that all the information from previous posts has a real and tangible value that should not be given away easily and for free" As I said earlier, if a non member approached you at a show, and asked how on earth have you managed to connect your grumble valve to your off side vent thruster, would you tell them, they'll have to join the club before you can reveal all. :)

Of course not, but you have rather cherry-picked my post, where I said they could Google it off the boards or ask a question on the boards that members usually fall over themselves to answer.

"Let's try not to forget just what a leap this boardroom is over the previous one just six weeks ago. This one is much better, offers more features, " How the hell do you do individual quotes on this new fangled boardroom? :blush:

That will cost you you 4p to find out. :laugh:

Actually, you just go and press Quote on each previous post to which you want to refer - the boardroom does the rest. If you don't want to quote the entire post, just edit it.

Think Andrew and Cleggy make some very valid and constructive points and they are WSCC members

Sadly its certainly not the welcoming place that the site used to be famous for anymore

Reading some of the comments that potential members have received i'm not sure they will

have parted with any money :oops:

A few years ago folk would have been encouraged to join and not 'jumped' on for either not

being a member or for offering a suggestion as a non fee paying member

As for the search function there's always Google, Locostbuilders or even Blatchat

But at the end of the day though its the committee that make the decisions so its up to them

They do a very good job and are all volunteers :t-up:

Just my 2p as an old ex member who hopes he's helped a few members AND non members over the years

(and also recruited a few when he was an AO)

But now apparently a "freeloader" ;)

• Like 1

Sadly I couldn't agree more.

Sadly its certainly not the welcoming place that the site used to be famous for anymore

A few years ago folk would have been encouraged to join and not 'jumped' on for either not

being a member or for offering a suggestion as a non fee paying member

> Let's try not to forget just what a leap this boardroom is over the previous one just six weeks ago. This one is much better, offers more features, has a search function that actually works, and looks like it possibly has more to offer later, with blogs and other features there but not yet activated. This costs money.

Personal opinion and one I'm afraid I do not agree with :down: :down:

Personal opinion and one I'm afraid I do not agree with :down: :down:

Fair enough - besides free search for all, what in your opinion was structurally better about the old boardroom?

Fair enough - besides free search for all, what in your opinion was structurally better about the old boardroom?

Steve D and his opinions were not as prevalent on the old "friendly" board :arse: :A***: :arse:

Steve D and his opinions were not as prevalent on the old "friendly" board :arse: :A***: :arse:

Another benefit of being a member - the "Ignore Honey Monster" option! :d

ah yes the old freindly board :laugh: i wouldnt say owt on here i wouldnt say to anyone's face unlike some ,im not scared of typing what i think ,just sick of the same old same old ,bleeters whining about things they cannot get foc anymore on the new forums ,thats life live with it :yes: im not out to win freinds or make enemy's im just me if you dont like me its not my problem ,it does not effect me :)

if some folk put as much effort into things as they do whining and thinking about whining the world would be a better place

Well you can see from my details that I don't drive a Westfield (I part built one 15 years ago, but finances stopped the build), I have a GBS Zero which should be on the road very soon. I am a member of RHOCaR but wanted a club with local meets. I found the WSCC Cotswold branch and went along to meet them. I was made to feel very welcome and decided that if I was going to go along to these meetings and make use of the club, it was only right and proper to join properly, so I did. I know that the committee and the AO's work voluntarily, but everything else costs, so I was happy to make my contribution.

I can't comment on the old boardroom as I never used it as I don't remember it being around when I was last a member. This site runs pretty much on the same basis as the RHOCaR forum, i.e. full members get certain access rights that forum users don't. It doesn't mean that the forum users can't still be very active and offer advice and have valid opinions just the same as full members. Pesonally, it doesn't bother me either way. My preference was to join, but that is just me.

Anyway, just how this new member sees things.

• Like 1

It's not without irony, that some of the more terse and snappy answers to the "why can't I..." questions are probably half down to the shear number of times these same questions have been asked since the changeover. Obviously, the non members, being unable to do a search won't be aware of this. ;):oops::suspect::laugh:

It's not without irony, that some of the more terse and snappy answers to the "why can't I..." questions are probably half down to the shear number of times these same questions have been asked since the changeover. Obviously, the non members, being unable to do a search won't be aware of this. ;):oops::suspect::laugh:

Evening Dave, nice to see my evil henchman and his laser-eyed cat hard at work, stirring away nicely...