A Newbies View Of The Wscc!

Lordbenny

Hi LordBenny,

Take contact with the administrators of the french Westfield forum, then you will maybe review your idea about the implication of a manufacturer in the club forum. Nobody there still dares to speak freely about car upgrades because of legality issues and technical advises are sometimes related to commercial goals...

Morerover I have serious doubts over the vision/goals of WSC about their visibility : I have written two articles (WSC history and WSC factory visit) for the french Seven club magazine and WSC management hasn't shown any interest about the content. My conclusion is that they really don't care or that it's a personal issue, I don't know and I am not sure to want to know...

Nope I'm happy to pay to be a club member, I just think a free forum is a good idea.

It is a free forum! - your're using it now aren't you? ;) You only need to pay if you want to use some of the features like buy / sell or personal messaging. Seems perfectly fair to me!

pay up or shut up .you can have a opinion when you pay your membership, simples

• Like 1

To contrast and compare:

I joined the club last year, am fully paid up and have perhaps only used the facilities of the forum, plus received the odd magazine. Now of course, I'm building a car so perhaps looking for different things from the club but I feel the information and help I've received from the club has been worth far more than any annual fees. I don't see a 'slow' forum, and don't see it as a problem. Back in my youth (though I'd like to think I'm still in it), I was a moderator on the MINI2 forum. The problem with large forums, is you can get cliquey circles, and some good threads can be lost in a sea of crap. You don't get that here. Swings and roundabouts I guess, not a lot of posts, but not a lot of chance of missing stuff.

I'm yet to attend a local meet (though really should make an effort soon), but am aware that this forum is far from the be all and end all of the club. The magazine gives a great idea of the sheer scale of the stuff that goes on in the different areas, and I hope to experience some of it soon.

In short, give it a go, see what you make of it...

• Like 1

I too am very much against manufacturer control of this sort of thing, for the same reasons given. There was way too much manufacturer involvement at some points in the other club I alluded to. I spent a couple of terms as newsletter editor and I was always getting my ear bent by a certain indivudual with a vested company-related interest. He was always trying to get references to his competitors products taken out of the club newsletter...which given the club was supposed to be make-agnostic, didn't go down to well with me.

Apropos the whole free vs. /subs thing, this same club used to enjoy a free open forum provided by one of the members. It went bump and a new one was created, but this time, it was done along very similar lines to this one - not a member, you get basic access, club member, you get the lot. It was something that we tried to get sorted on the old site for many years. Personally, i think it's a much fairer way of doing things. Why shoud non-members get the chance to jump on all the good stuff for sale, or get free advertising etc? The subs are a small price to pay to contribute to this forum, let alone all the other stuff the club does.

I share Dommo's view about the quality and size thing too - plenty of huge forums out there that are jam packed with utter ****e. Also share his view on being a member early on - even pre-car ownership. What better way to learn about what you are getting into?

• Like 1

I have also noticed a reduction in posts recently. I think part of the reason for this is the fact that having been running for as long as it has, almost all issues have been covered to the nth degree, and a simple search reveals the information needed rather than a new post.

Also, westfield ownership is more than simply owning a car, driving it, then interacting with the forum as is the case with many enthusiast sites. Not everyone is involved in all the activities, but as a whole I expect there is more building, racing, track day activity, club meets, upgrading and general tinkering than most other marques. Consequently users don't need to rely as much on the forum to satisfy their enthusiast ownership experience. Having said that I dread to think how much time I've spent using this forum despite my relatively low post count.

In a previous career I was actually paid to read car websites and I've experienced a great many (including VX220.org) and I've found the WSCC to be unrivalled in terms of knowledge, willingness to help and enthusiasm. But it's not facebook (thank god) so there's not an overindulgence of lonely souls broadcasting the shape of their turds. Most of the time.

I'm not wishing to invalidate your thoughts Lord Benny, and feedback is good and I'm sure welcomed (I'm not a mod), but you yourself must share some of the blame for your issues if you use your local area forum rather than the full forum.

It can take a little while to feel involved, but stick around chap, I'm sure you'll find it worthwhile. Now cough up :d

Ben

There has definitely been a reduction in postings on here but there are reasons for that:

• the recent downturn in the weather plus general belt tightening means not many are using their cars at this time of year as the cars are SORNed
  • a lot of the regulars are preparing their cars for the Speed Series and the banter will increase once everyone is back out on track and others see the changes they've made - platypus nose anyone? :oops::laugh:
  • many of the old members have now moved on from Westfields to other marques or, due to family commitments, had to give up their toys altogether :cry: or just don't have time to post on here anymore...

and finally, as Ben has already said, this forum has been going for over 10 years and most questions have been asked before (some of them hundreds of times...) which was the catalyst for setting up the FAQ forum.

I was on VX220.org when I had one and although it was OK for technical advice there was also a bit of a Max Power feel about it and because of there being no membership cost there was none of the co-ordinated events that the WSCC are able to put on.

FWIW I'm also an L7CGB member (and the cost is over twice the WSCC fee) so I can post on Blatchat, I've never had a Caterham and probably never will but I have made a lot of good friends over there and I hope in a small way been able to help a few people out along the way with my (limited) knowledge, experience and sometimes just better Googling for an answer... :d

My £25 was the bargain of the century. Couldn't have got this far in my build without the club's help (club rather than forum, although it has been mostly via the forum)

I could only put 1/3 of a tank of fuel in a 'normal' car for that money.

Having been involved in clubs / commitees of other organisations I can appreciate how much time and resources it takes to achieve anything, and how little thanks is sometimes shown. The easiest way to show my appreciation to all the people who have helped me on here and run it, was to join the club.

• Like 1

i think some folk are still trying to log onto the old forum :laugh: some have never moved over and re registered , still he upside it got rid of some dead wood :yes:

not all, you're still here :p:laugh:

Must...resist...urge...to...press...Like...button...! :devil:

EDIT: I failed to resist the urge! :p:d

• Like 2

This is a thread so like a number of others recently. I personally can't see what the debate is all about.

I'm here and a paid up member because I enjoy it. It's very easy to make comparisons with other clubs / forums etc. but the bottom like is if you like it, pay up and join in. If you don't, go somewhere else.

You often find activity is slightly lower on similar forums because of the time of year - plus the other reasons folks have mentioned - so it doesn't concern me.

It's good to see people occasionally suggesting possible improvements (good or otherwise) but I'd rather see them from active (i.e. paid up) members, as opposed to the "I might have joined if this had been different blah...blah....".

Can you tell work has been sh*te today.....?

Matt

• Like 1

I've only been a member for a few months and I think the forum is a great source of knowledge. It's helped me no end. Any question I ask seems to get a quick response from somebody who has already done what I am trying to do.

Only thing I would like to see is a dedicated section for those of us with upgradeitus, so we can post pics and descriptions of what we are doing.