Oulton Park Trackday Fri 2Nd Mar Trackaction - Wscc

Nick Algar - Competition Secretary

IIRC there is petrol available on site, but during the luch stop only. Personally, I dont do a huge number of laps on a trackday, because my car gets very tiring after a few quick laps being a sprint car, and I'm getting old! Some people like to go round and round and round most of the day. Conversely, in its latest guise, my car isn't economical, so it might be an indication: I go with a full tank (about 25 ltrs.) and a 20ltr. jerry can full, which should just about see me through. A few people might get through a bit more than that, some less.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SteveH

• Tonsko

• Andrew

• matt nossiter

Depends how much running you do really , I fill the car up and take two twenty ltr jerry cans and normally still end up buying fuel on site !

I do a tank plus about 40ltrs usually.

Fuel is usually available at 11am, 1pm and 3pm at Oulton but we'll confirm times in the briefing.

A couple of jerry cans it is then. I am still using the tank of fuel I put in for the IVA, the weather has been against me :no:

There are also 2 filling stations no more than 10 minutes away - sometimes it is quicker to go there rather than wait in the queue at the circuit pumps....

• 2 weeks later...

Final bump for this one, we've got about a dozen places left now. Long term forecast is showing mild, light breeze and dry :suspect:

So, have I read it correctly in that some people don't elect to go for trackday insurance? This is obviously attractive as it will cost an additional £120.

What could go wrong? If I stack my car, that's my cost, obviously. I guess the insurance is there to cover damage to other track users and/or track damage? Does it work the same way as the 'ring in that they have to close the track and you pay for that time etc.?

What are people's thoughts?

Cheers

What could go wrong? If I stack my car, that's my cost, obviously. I guess the insurance is there to cover damage to other track users and/or track damage? Does it work the same way as the 'ring in that they have to close the track and you pay for that time etc.?

What are people's thoughts?

Cheers

No, they just drag your sorry carcass back to the pits, clean up the track and the day recommences....no extra charges. You are running under your own risk, so that if you slip on someone else's fluid spill and bend it, or someone hits you then you are on your own, and theoretically you can't claim off anyone else.

With this in mind I've never seen car on car contact at a track day, and I'm coming up on my 9th year of doing track days. You basically are your own worst enemy - people generally only damage their car by driving beyond their own abilities, or accidents caused by mechanical failure.

I haven't bothered with track day insurance for years, as I don't drive at 100%....sure I'm not the quickest out there but I always take the car home in one piece (unless it breaks down). I think once you do it once you'll realise its not the demolition derby that some people imagine.

I'm seriously tempted to try and sneak down for this, just got the megabusa through its MoT this morning, just have to work out the logistics....what time in the morning do you reckon I'd have to leave Glasgow to get there in time?? :laugh:

Normally takes me in the region of four hours to get from Eaglesham just outside Glasgow down to Cheshire, I'm only half an hour or so from the circuit, but nearer the M6, so probably similar. That's taking it steady in the tin top though, so with a trailer you'd need to add a bit!

Stop over job that is I reckon. Last three places now available, I'll be doing the draw to see who gets their money back over the weekend as well and I'll post it up on here.

I'd forgotten about that! Exciting!

Did I read somewhere above that we will be sharing the track with other clubs? Do we know which ones?

Are there similar stigmas attached to certain cars on the track that you may find on the roads?

All sorts, we have a group of S2000s, some Focus STs and other hot hatch etc; a wide variety.

You don't tend to get so many prejudgements about cars on trackdays because it's not unusual to see a little Peugeot or, dare I say it a kit-car, being far quicker than the fancier looking machinery in the paddock.