Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

You don't, but if asked, anything I buy was a bargain and cost me less than £20 :d

Unlike my esteemed and noble predecessor, I am open to bribes. ;)

I have just left the car I the capable hands of Northampton Motorsport. I am now sat in a greasy spoon waiting for a full monty to arrive!!

Nice day for it....!

Nice day for it....!

Full waterproofs were needed for the drive over!

I should think so, plus fins, floats and a lightning rod! Just had a torrential downpour with hail and lightning here in Leamington, hope it's not headed east...

I should think so, plus fins, floats and a lightning rod! Just had a torrential downpour with hail and lightning here in Leamington, hope it's not headed east...

GULP! I hope so too

Gary, have a look at the blue V8 Cateringvan by the workshop door, if it hasn't been shipped to Dubai. It is a feat of engineering!! Hope it all goes well for you. I was lucky it was dry on Monday when I went, although it was b****y freezing when I left home at 06:00 !!!

Nico, do you know who's the V8 is? Chris at the 7 workshop built one for a chap who works in the middles east with water cutting equipment. That was, as far as I know, the first V8.

Gary, have a look at the blue V8 Cateringvan by the workshop door, if it hasn't been shipped to Dubai. It is a feat of engineering!! Hope it all goes well for you. I was lucky it was dry on Monday when I went, although it was b****y freezing when I left home at 06:00 !!!

They just fired it up, sounded great!

Nico, do you know who's the V8 is? Chris at the 7 workshop built one for a chap who works in the middles east with water cutting equipment. That was, as far as I know, the first V8.

thats the one

A big :t-up::yes::t-up: to Northampton Motorsport today.

I took the car over for a Suspension Set up and Corner Weighting. Not the nicest of days to do it, but as it was booked in I decided to brave the weather and get on with it. So full waterproofs on, and off I went :westy:

I suspected my DIY set up was not the best, and the pre-set up data proved this. Of all the Camber/Caster/Toe settings (10 in total), only one was in tolerance, which was Caster, which cannot be adjusted anyway :blush: :blush:

IMG_0001.jpg

Anyway, the upshot is the car is now very nicely set up, and drove lovely coming home, although it was a steady run as I did not fancy aquaplaning into the ditch! It is now proper filthy, but it has never been driven in the rain, honest guv :d

Troy and his team looked after me and the car well, and for a reasonable cost too. Thanks mate :t-up:

The only downside was the guys spotted a slight oil leak at the front of the engine. This will need some investigation over the coming weeks.

That's just making sure the front of the chassis doesn't rust ;)

:t-up: you picked a nice day for it :d :d

If the oil leak is near the bottom of the engine then will most likely be the crankshaft front oil seal which quite a common problem. I've also had a couple of problems in the past with cam cover gaskets not sealing fully at the sharp corners next to the cams.

Yes it was a glorious day :( It was the only day I could clear half a days leave at work for about a month, so it had to be get on with it. Glad I did looking at the print out :laugh:

Yes the leak is low down at the front, it looks like either the crankshaft front seal, or maybe the sump half moon seal.

Although front and rear crankshaft and sump oil seals were all fitted new when the engine was rebuilt

seeing a this is now an upgrade thread, have you considered strapping on a turbo yet :d :d :d