Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

Take it it drove nice then Gary and you enjoyed it from all your smileys.

Yes it drove nice - I did not push it at all though, all in a 30mph limit and need to get the Geo done properly.

It was lashing down, so not the most enjoyable conditions, but still it felt fantastic to be out in it :t-up:

Did you feel the steering trying to self centre after corners or where you too busy with a big daft grin on your face.

Bob :d :d :d

I forgot all about that Bob!

I was too busy trying to avoid puddles, looking at speedo/satnav, oil and temp gauges.

Oh, and grinning :d

Good excuse for another, well s'pose not. I think you may have noticed if the steering was very "stiff".

Bob

You're figures are ok for a non cat test, but your engine should be capable of passing the cat test limits even without having a cat fitted.

For a pre-95 which you'll pass the limits are as follows:

CO 3.5%

HC 1200ppm

And for post-95

CO 0.2%

HC 200ppm

Lambda 0.97-1.03

Even the most modern engines wont pass a cat test without the cat fitted.

Even the most modern engines wont pass a cat test without the cat fitted.

:t-up: Ah well, I said I wasn's an expert :d :d :d

Would you say that Gary's emissions results look resonable for a non-cat engine, or is there any figures below that gives concern?

CO %vol - 0.233

ppm HC - 231

Lambda - 1.150

Air-Fuel Ratio - 16.909

%vol CO2 - 13.33

%vol O2 - 2.22

Temperature - 13C

Mothers day today, but I did manage a little time in the garage early evening, for good behaviour and a meal out at lunchtime ;)

First job was to fit the harness covers

SAM_0697.jpg

Whilst doing that, I noticed that the top of the seats had some movement in them, which I decided to investigate. So out came the passenger seat, and I checked all the frame to seat bolts and frame to runner bolts, and all were tight. I refitted the seat and the runner to floor pan bolts nipped up nice and tight no problem. So everything is tight. Tried the seat again, still the same, a bit of movement. So my powers of deduction have put this down to the very slight play in the seat runner. This is probably about 1mm, but I guess when you take that play up through the length of the seat back, it makes for about 5mm of movement. At least I have my response ready for IVA now

Next was the exhaust heat shield - I hope this is positioned far enough back to get me through IVA

SAM_0698.jpg

The last job for today was to put some heat wrap on the front section of the exhaust

SAM_0699.jpg

A close up of where the downpipe goes through the tub - The heat wrap has tidied up the gap around the pipe nicely :yes:

SAM_0700.jpg

So close! I might have missed it, but is there supposed to be a finishing strip in front of the boot box?

So close! I might have missed it, but is there supposed to be a finishing strip in front of the boot box?

Yes there is - I have still got to fit it. Manual says velcro, but I am thinking rivnuts and button head bolts would be nicer - but not sure if that will affect IVA

Well, the solving of one problem has lead me discover another :(

I have sorted out the speedo calibration issue, and with the car up on axle stands it looks to be working much better :)

While the car was up on axle stands, I happened to notice that the nearside rear wheel had some play in it. So I checked the wheel nuts - all tight. There is quite a lot of play in it, so I reckon the bearing has gone. I cant say I noticed it when I put it all together, so I think the short run out has brought it out.

With the wheel off it is not so noticeable, same with the handbrake on (which makes sense as the disc is clamped in the pads) Handbrake off and wheel on, I reckon I can move the wheel 5mm :oops:

So I guess the solution is to find a replacement rear hub and get it on before IVA

Done some more preparation for IVA for an hour tonight

First - rollbar. Plastic covers on the boltheads and nuts, followed by some pipe lagging, then insulation tape

SAM_0701.jpg

SAM_0702.jpg

Next - headlight. Rubber U-trim around the back of the mounting, followed by some pipe lagging and then insulation tape. Just enough room left to get a spanner on the nut if I need to

SAM_0703.jpg

SAM_0704.jpg

Next - front suspension and steering rack. The steering rack already had the Westfield supplied rubber cover on it, but I decided to add a bit of padding with some pipe lagging covered with a bit of bicycle inner tube

SAM_0706.jpg

A bolt cover on the bottom bolt of the nosecone, and also the front ot the windscreen

SAM_0709.jpg

SAM_0711.jpg

Then the sidecreen hinge hole covers

SAM_0707.jpg

I finished off by fitting the spare wheel clip and tying it in with a boy scouts knot

SAM_0712.jpg

SAM_0713.jpg

The VOSA testing station were on the phone today, and the test is now booked for Thursday 29th March

Nine days and counting for Godzilla..

It's all looking good, Gary. Out of interest, did you get the headlight bracket covers with the kit? A lot easier than several rolls of tape! Still got mine fitted as they don't look too bad.

The only thing I'd say is that the external nut covers - windscreen and lower nose cone - could fly off on the drive there, so either take spares or fit them at the Centre. FWIW I didn't cover the lower nose cone bolt and nothing was said at the test.

Got everything crossed for you - hope it all goes well.