Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

Bought a cheap rivnut tool on Ebay the other day, and it turned up today.

So I fitted some M4 rivnuts in the scuttle and have bolted in the dashboard now - it worked well.

Looking spot on mate. Won't be long now.

Dont start creeping :p :p

Its been a positive day today :yes:

The shock absorbers arrived fresh from GAZ, with the leaking seals all repaired. Fantastic service considering they were out of warranty and they did them FOC :d

So I have put them back on the car with the springs wound up to make the ride height as high as possible. I figured it will be easier to adjust down rather than wind them up with all the weight on them.

So the car is back on the ground now :t-up:

I fitted the interior mirror and also fitted the crash pad on the dash

SAM_0673.jpg

During the course of the weekend I bought some carbon fibre sheet, and used it tonight to make up some rear wheel arch protectors. At the same time I fitted some carbon fibre kick strips that I have had in store for a while

SAM_0674.jpg

Now that Westfield have advised me on the discrepancy between VIN plate and chassis number, I popped the VIN plate onto the scuttle

SAM_0675.jpg

And lastly I fitted the bonnet catches

SAM_0676.jpg

SAM_0677.jpg

I also reflected on the completion time required for the car today, and decided to accelerate it a little bit :westy:

I have bought forward the pre-IVA MOT to Saturday 17th March, and tomorrow I will be sending off the IVA paperwork. I have requested a test date of 29th March :oops:

The two major jobs left are to get the geometry/suspension as close as I can, and then finish off the bootbox and rollbar. After this it is carpets, seats, harnesses, general polish up and IVA prep.

That's a days work - two at most! :t-up:

Did I miss the answer on the VIN /chassis no from WSC? What was the answer?

Also - are those WSC supplied catches? Look a lot beefier than mine.

That's a days work - two at most! :t-up:

Did I miss the answer on the VIN /chassis no from WSC? What was the answer?

Also - are those WSC supplied catches? Look a lot beefier than mine.

I need some time for panic to set in Mike!

I have put the answer on the VIN plate/chassis thread

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/93115-vin-plate-and-chassis-number/page__view__findpost__p__941073

Catches were from here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140718529606#ht_500wt_1287

home stretch :d

Trouble is, now it is back on the ground - I am itching!!

It was still daylight when I got home from work, just.

So I decided to clear a bit of space in the garage and drive it out onto the drive - awesome as the kids would say :d

I let the car tickover for a while, and had a sweep up in the garage - four dustpans full of cable ties, cable cuttings, tape, dust, rubbish etc!

Having lived with the car for nearly five months in the garage, it felt so much more compact when I got it out into open space. It looks big in the garage!

SAM_0678.jpg

SAM_0679.jpg

SAM_0680.jpg

SAM_0681.jpg

Before I rolled it out, I marked up the headlight beam from the wife's car on the garage door, and set the headlights to roughly follow this.

First things I have noticed:-

The temperature gauge got up to 100 Deg C and the fan had not kicked in :( How can I check the sender? The housing was really hot to touch, so I think the sender may be knacked

All the dials steamed up :(

The steering lock is not brilliant :oops:

Everything shakes! Front indicators especially!

So, the weekend plan is to sort out the geomoetry the best I can, and then crack on with the carpet if I get time

Looking good !

Get a fellow member around to have a look before IVA, they will see stuff to "fix" you wont, it was the best thing i done before iva

I had the same problem with mine when i started up with the temp, Turned out to be a fuse.

For the steering lock I had to remove the lockstops at each end of the rack under the rubber gaiters managed to get the lock well sorted, yours doesn't look that bad. For wide track the cycle wings/wheels don't clash with the side of the car when on full lock when you have done this. To cut the vibration down just speed up the tick over a bit, mine sits at 1000-1100rpm but shakes when below that during warming up. Have you IVA covered the seat belt harness clips at the rear and the side window hinges also the upper roll bar brackets all time consuming stuff. Take your head light spanners with you as they will be out and they normally let you tweak them. Self centring may need a bit of extra tyre pressure.

Looking tidy

Bob :yes:

You can test the operation of the fan from the diag connector by linking between GND and TFA. If it runs ok then next step is to test the thermo switch. I wont type it all out, but the method of testing that, the fan and relay is all in section 6 of Rod's.

As for the rest, TADS :) my dials steam up when they get the hot engine warming up the air behind the dash on a cold day. I still get stuck in a McDonalds drivethru as I can't make the corners :d My front indicators err, well fell off as they were cracking the gel coat so I fitted something smaller :)

Looking good !

Get a fellow member around to have a look before IVA, they will see stuff to "fix" you wont, it was the best thing i done before iva

I had the same problem with mine when i started up with the temp, Turned out to be a fuse.

Thanks - feeling very proud tonight!

For the steering lock I had to remove the lockstops at each end of the rack under the rubber gaiters managed to get the lock well sorted, yours doesn't look that bad. For wide track the cycle wings/wheels don't clash with the side of the car when on full lock when you have done this. To cut the vibration down just speed up the tick over a bit, mine sits at 1000-1100rpm but shakes when below that during warming up. Have you IVA covered the seat belt harness clips at the rear and the side window hinges also the upper roll bar brackets all time consuming stuff. Take your head light spanners with you as they will be out and they normally let you tweak them. Self centring may need a bit of extra tyre pressure.

Looking tidy

Bob :yes:

Cheers Bob

Still got all the IVA covers etc to do yet.

Good tickover and tyre pressure tip, thanks :t-up: