Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

top tip, cheers

Do I need to put a rubber u-trim around the edges of the heat shield as well?

top tip, cheers

Do I need to put a rubber u-trim around the edges of the heat shield as well?

No, I'm presuming it's got the folded back edges so they'll already have the required radii. Just smooth the corners to make sure that they're all nicely radius'd (not sure that's how you spell it :d) and so there's no sharp or sticking up edges to the corners.

So - IVA Work to be done:-

Harness covers

Roll bar bolts at top end

Exhaust heat shield

Front suspension bolts/nuts

Front braided brake cables

Headlight mounting brackets

Nose cone - done

Number plate mount - done

Sidescreen hinge holes on windscreen pillars

Exhaust heat wrap

Brake fluid sticker

Dip/main beam label on dash

What else?

I'm having a think as to what caught me out....

Sticker on/by brake fluid reservoir should also say what DOT fluid you are using. You can writre it on in indelible pen (it was pointed out to me because I hadn't done it, but they let it go on the test)

You'll need to cover the rear exhaust mounting bolts, too.

The two poppers on the front of the screen need to be covered. The smallest nut covers from the IVA kit are good for this. Don't fit till you get to the test centre, though.

Look in the footwells for nuts and edges, cover with edging strip. The chassis member in the passenger footwell (the one the ECU plate bolts on to) did not meet the radius criterion on mine, so I stuck some edging strip over it with silicone. Also, the nuts from the top edge of the ECU plate needed covering.

Make sure no cables or conduits are touching the steering column.

Generally, if it's loose, tie wrap it to something!

First ever run out and it is raining!!!

Check your speedo against a Sat Nav if you go out it must read as per the IVA spec, inside footwell sharp edges as mentioned. Then its all down to the examiner, I suspect if they see a well constructed car and well presented they are inclined to be less onerous. Bullsh1t baffles brains. Don't forget your head light adjusting spanner and access panels may need to be removed particularly to the pedals. Plastic nut covers on underbody gearbox mounting was a good one, protects the injured party from scratches once you have knocked them down :d

Get all your paperwork in order they may want an answer to a question and having stuff handy is worthwhile. Extra nut covers edging strip may be useful but they seem to either want a proper job or some let you tinker, depends on the guy on the day. Diplomacy is key, knowledge of the build construction is always valuable without being a smart ar*e. They can be a bit anal and not talk to you much, from what I can pick up they are in the minority. Enjoy the day its one you will remember hopefully for the right reasons. Sometimes they query the collapsible steering system, refer them to Westfield or blag it by telling them its a common question refer to there own Technical guys ( Mark Vickers). Fully fuelled up, all systems also full where necessary. Check your brakes don't lock up rears first. Seat belts, make sure you can adjust them easily whilst in the car or at least be able to demonstrate they are easy to do, was a tricky moment in my IVA, as it was winter I had a thick jacket on and struggled getting the belts sorted, minor panic. Little things like that throw you a bit but at the end of the day enjoy it and say goodbye to the thick end of half a grand.

Good luck

Bob :d:yes:

Yeah, try and get as much life into your brakes as you (safely) can in the limited road miles you have.

Thanks for the tips :t-up:

Just got back the pre IVA MOT test

Firstly - this is the first time I have ever driven it :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d

Now to the test:-

First up was emissions:-

CO %vol - 0.233

ppm HC - 231

Lambda - 1.150

Air-Fuel Ratio - 16.909

%vol CO2 - 13.33

%vol O2 - 2.22

Temperature - 13C

This should be fine for a pre 31st July 1995 car, which is where I am aiming

Headlights were next - we aligned them between us

Then the brakes - these were all good, slight imbalance on the front, but nothing to worry about.

The tester was a really good guy - he is rebuilding an MG in the workshop, so was keen to have a good look round. He had a look underneath, all round the wheel assemblies, prop shaft, handbrake cable, fuel pipes and tank/pump, engine bay, lights, horn etc. He was very complimentary, saying several times he thought the build quality was excellent. We finished off with £30 cash and a wave goodbye :laugh:

Feeling well pleased now, it is always nice to have a totally independant view, and his last words were "this is one of the best built cars I have seen" :yes:

• Like 1

Godzilla really warming up for his happy dance now...! Big pat on the back!

Godzilla in the wings!

I forgot to say, I took my satnav and the speedo works but is defnitely not showing the right speed, 30moh on satnav was reading 20mph on the speedo, so some work to be done there

Anyone an expert VDO calibrator?

First up was emissions:-

CO %vol - 0.233

ppm HC - 231

Lambda - 1.150

Air-Fuel Ratio - 16.909

%vol CO2 - 13.33

%vol O2 - 2.22

Temperature - 13C

This should be fine for a pre 31st July 1995 car, which is where I am aiming

Good job Gary :yes: another hurdle out of the way :t-up:

You were right about the emissions though, and you're engine should easily be able to pass the stricter limits, the figures I've got for mine from SVA were:

CO %vol - 0.02

ppm HC - 10

Lambda - 1.003

Knowing you've got a new oxygen sensor and have previously tested the AFM, I'd double check the engine temperature sensor on the rear of the block is working and feeding back to the ecu. I haven't looked but I'm sure Rods will tell you the hot and cold resistance for it which you should then be able to test by running the car up to temperature, turning off the ignition and then unplugging the connector to test the sensor in situ.

My exhaust does not have a CAT in it, which is obviously affecting this as well.

Am I right in saying that it will pass a non-cat test though Mark?

My exhaust does not have a CAT in it, which is obviously affecting this as well.

Am I right in saying that it will pass a non-cat test though Mark?

You're figures are ok for a non cat test, but your engine should be capable of passing the cat test limits even without having a cat fitted.

For a pre-95 which you'll pass the limits are as follows:

CO 3.5%

HC 1200ppm

And for post-95

CO 0.2%

HC 200ppm

Lambda 0.97-1.03

Thats the main thing - its a pass at IVA :yes:

I guess the readings are higher than yours due to a non cat exhaust ???

Thats the main thing - its a pass at IVA :yes:

I guess the readings are higher than yours due to a non cat exhaust ???

I'm no expert and you may like to ask the question in Tech Talk, but a cat shouldn't make that much difference.