Kugawestie's MX5 SDV Build Thread - Now An Upgrade Thread

KugaWestie

Just a little job tonight, earthed the fuel tank

SAM_0317.jpg

Not sure I am happy with it......may well change the cable

I dont mind at all hilux, all advice greatfully received.

By my reckoning there are two types of fuel clip - a threaded/bolt type, or the type that you squeeze with pliers to open (good for tight spaces)

Either of these ok?

Hi

I would (personally) use the types below, easily removeable and re-useable. Many sizes available for different pipe diameters. Mikalor are the best but there are many available from Halfrauds etc

015_916.jpg

If you ever have a need to tighten up fuel or water hose clips then you should have one of these in your tool box - invaluable in my book - a flexible shaft hose socket that flexes around tight corners etc - fits water and good quality petrol hose clips (or you could use a small wobbly socket

SIL380366.JPG

Thanks hilux.

I revisited the earthing of the fuel tank tonight, and this time have made a much better job of it, it looks much tidier.

Photobucket

I also managed to finish (I think) refitting rubber pipes to the engine

Photobucket

Expecting a few deliveries tomorrow for various bits and bobs, also going up to the factory on Friday to collect some parts

Looks like you managed to work out where one of those pipes went :D

I have decided to get rid of the airbox and plastic plenum pipe, and install an induction kit.

My current idea is to go for a K&N 57i kit, and then make up some aluminium piping/silicone hoses to run it across the front of the engine, and maybe return it 45 degrees towards the exhaust manifold. Anybody else done this?

Looks like you managed to work out where one of those pipes went :D

I have got splinters in my fingers after some serious head scratching  :p

I have decided to get rid of the airbox and plastic plenum pipe, and install an induction kit.

My current idea is to go for a K&N 57i kit, and then make up some aluminium piping/silicone hoses to run it across the front of the engine, and maybe return it 45 degrees towards the exhaust manifold. Anybody else done this?

Like this?

It'll probably work out cheeper just to by the cone filter and some silicone hoses rather than the full kit as there's several parts in it you wont be able to use.

Also worth looking at Ricks Blog as he did something similar but with rigid pipes.

IMG_3803.jpg

Yeah, sort of like that, but run it across in front of the engine with a 90 degree bend off the throttle body, and then maybe a 45 degree bend on the paasenger sie of the head - if there is enough room.

I have looked at Ricks and like that too.

I thought it would go something like this:-

Silicone hose onto throttle body

90 deg aluminium bend

Small length of straight silicone

Aluminium straight connector with 12mm tee off

MAS

45 Deg aluminium bend if room

K&N Filter

I guess there is no need for the cold air intake part of the kit?

I guess there is no need for the cold air intake part of the kit?

It's not such a case of not needed but rather it has been designed to fit an mx5 rather than the westfield.  On the narrow I'll be fitting a length of flexible from the nose cone grill to the air filter to ensure it gets as much cold air as possible.

Had a days holiday to use up before xmas, so I went I har shopping  :D

First off picked up a pair of side screens used for a good price, they need a bit of refurbishing (bolts mainly). gave them a good clean and have put them in the shed.

After that it was onto the Westfield factory to pick up a load of parts mainly in connection with windscreen. Also collected the lenghtened steering column section.

Then dropped in at Ricks and picked up the aluminium pipes he had made for me for the coolant route - excellent job mate, thank you  :t-up:

Then back home and the postman had delivered all of the items I need for making up my own intake system.

All in all, quite a haul today  ;)

SAM_0344.jpg

A couple of days ago, I found a small local company and got them to do this for me  :cool:

BEFORE

SAM_0339.jpg

AFTER

SAM_0346.jpg

Well pleased with this  :D

I have now got lots I can get on with  :t-up:

Looking good there Gary :) did the hoses arrive ok?

Ooops - yes, they turned up on Thursday, I forgot to let you know. Thanks

Ooops - yes, they turned up on Thursday, I forgot to let you know. Thanks

:t-up: Should look nice with the cam cover :cool:

Thats what I am hoping.

I took one of your hoses with me and we colour matched it.

RAL 5002, Ultramarine Blue in case anybody wants to know

No problem Gary any time.

With my air intake, where it sits behind the rad. I fitted some ally sheet that ducts the warm air from the rad down and away from the filter. Then using some donkey d**k piping I have run a cold air feed direct from the front grille directly onto the air filter.