Donor done, build started

Dommo

Iirc i ran my pressures up around the 30 - 35 psi mark to make the steering lighter which helped with the self centering.

Thanks, I'll try them both :yes:

I think they were at 32 when I took them off the MX5 so probably in the high 20s now.

At least if it fails the IVA I can legally drive it somewhere to get the alignment done on proper gauges.

I used a broom handle as a measuring stick for front wheel setup and put 40psi in the tyres. I couldn't tell if it was centering or not but the IVA man said it was perfect, just goes to show how hard this can be to judge yourself.

I have since been to Blink Motorsport who don't use broom handles.

The mk2 has different uprights doesn't it? I wonder if they naturally have more castor?

Did you drive it to the IVA at 40psi? Did I drive ok? Whilst I'd like self centring I'd prefer not to greet a hedge on the way there. That said, I can always inflate/deflate the tyres when I arrive.

Can't be sure but I believe the uprights are different on the mk2. I didn't drive to the IVA but had a little spin around the test centre and it wasn't bad but you would need to be careful.

Best to stop off at the nearest garage to the IVA centre and tweak there, especially if going to an extreme setting; you don't want to find yourself strapped into a hedge seeking missile!

FWIW, I've always run with toe out as well, since the geo was first done by (original) Playskool as part of a pre SVA check over and set up; Paul at the time recommended me to go the low pressure route, about 8 psi IIRC. This gave good self centring, (the inspector even commented on how unusual it was to find one with good centring), but you certainly wouldn't want to drive far like that.

Try going high and low, see what works best for you. Incidentally, just watch that the change in pressures doen't throw out any of the statutary height limits for lights etc at the front!

Never really fretted about the self centering although I must admit I was somewhat bemused by the fact that I didn't seem to have any at all on early test drives.

TBH, I did the square root of FA about it. At the IVA test the tester commented that the self centring "seemed to be fine" when he was driving it around, but I suspect that he knew that there wasn't going to be any and turned a discrete blind eye. Any car this light is going to find it hard to make the grade and I bet he'd seen loads of them struggle to achieve any hint of self centring, despite being perfectly safe and driveable vehicles.

Turn up on the day, Dommo, and be pleasantly surprised as it sails through!

• Like 1

I'm not sure I fully understand this. My Caterham has self centering and the settings aren't that different to your Westies.

Is it KPI that's different?

I tried 20 psi no joy. I tried 15 psi. No joy. I tried 10 psi. No joy. I tried 8 psi. It'd think about it over a bump. I tried 40 psi. No joy.

Thus, I'm back at 20 psi and I'll drop the pressures if the examiner isn't happy with it.

All nuts and bolts covered. Well, some covered. The rest can be done when I arrive. Stuff like the poppers on the windscreen. Car is loaded up with tools and bits of trim. Roll on the morning.

Where I'll be getting wet :d

Good luck Dom :t-up:

Hope it all goes well for you Dom and enjoy the day :)

Good luck Dommo - I am sure you will be fine. Enjoy the test, and I hope you dont get too wet!

Good luck Dom - Godzilla is doing some stretching exercises!

Best of luck, fingers crossed for you!

Yup, hope it all goes well, Dom, fingers crossed for you.