• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Donor done, build started

Dommo

So the Mrs. likes the smell of petrol :down: Good see it going, full marks for building a Wesrfield in a very small garage.

full marks for building a Wesrfield in a very small garage.

My garage is a bit bigger but full of crap down the sides, so I didn't have much more room. I have to admit by the end it was really doing my dinger, so I give you full marks too.

When you get really miffed with it you just have to remind yourself that you're lucky to have a garage at all (I'm sure someone, somewhere has built one outside :laugh: )

Mine got too big for the garage the moment the suspension went on. Everything after that, bodywork, engine, gearbox and interior have been done with it outside on the drive.

It's not that bad... taking the MX5 apart was more proving of width limitations than building the Westy. I think the garage is something like 2.5mx6m with a 3m square storeroom/workshop at the back. It'd be quite tricky without the room at the back I reckon as storing parts would encroach on your working space. A double garage is a requirement on the next house though.

VOSA have taken payment for the IVA but still waiting on a booking :(

Thats a palace not a garage!

My garage is no more than 4.3m long x 2.6m wide, no other storage space, and some racking erected at the back of the garage reducing the floorspace to just under 4m in length.

It was about a week between paying the money and getting a phone call for the appointment for me Dom

Even though I took the work bench down and stored it in the shed, there wasn't much room to get round the chassis in mine;

photo0164.jpg

Got it as far as a panelled, rolling chassis with the loom, brakes and diff fitted, then it was off the stands and on to the drive for the rest of the work to be finished.

photo0425-1.jpg

With the workbench rebuilt, ( a little larger while I was at it :blush::oops: ) and the addition of engine cranes, welders etc to store, it's never been back in the garage since, it just doesn't fit anymore. :down:

i built my hot rod in the car park at the back of my house!

a garage is luxury!

there it is. lived under a tarp!

09-09-06_1857.jpg

Ticking along, still trying to squeeze a weekend and two bank holidays work into two evenings! Just finished fibreglassing the big head bolts onto the cycle wings.

Other jobs done:

• Passenger seat fitted
  • Steering column reattached, also lowered slightly
  • Front of tub secured underneath
  • Front indicators fitted

MOT is booked for next week (optimistic!!), still waiting for a call from VOSA with the IVA date

Right, proper update! As above, I've finished fibreglassing the big head bolts onto the cycle wings. Will try and get those fitted tomorrow, I suspect further fettling will be required!

Indicators are fitted and wired in, surprisingly easier than I expected. I do need to pull the lense off the passenger side one and turn the unit round a third though.

P6070112_s.jpg

I drilled the holes for and fitted the passenger seat

P6070113_s.jpg

With those holes drilled I could crack on and fit the carpets

P6110114_s.jpg

P6110115_s.jpg

P6110119_s.jpg

Then the seats and harnesses found their way into the car. Had to tap out the harness bolt holes - would have been nice if Westfield could tap the holes out after powdercoating. Maybe they do, I did rush them on that front after all (picked up the chassis the morning it arrived back from the powdercoaters).

P6120120_s.jpg

P6120123_s.jpg

After 2 fuses I finished wiring the wiper motor - there was no need to follow the MX5 SDV instructions as I was using an aftermarket switch. The SDV instructions have the positive and earth swapped. I put them back and hey presto, it works. Also filled up the washer jets and adjusted them.

P6120121_s.jpg

The wipers sit on the fillet a touch but there's no real way to avoid that.

Other jobs done include fitting a fan switch and wiring that in (thus removing fan control from the ECU), bolting down the steering column cover and fettled the bonnet to try and make it easier to lock. It's easier, but still some way to go on that front.

No sign of an IVA date yet, but I do have an MOT booked for Friday afternoon so better crack on with the dash! That and the cycle wings are the last major parts

So I had a game plan to get the car to it's MOT this afternoon. Here's how it went.

Wednesday saw me mildly balls up the passenger side cycle wing. I think in hindsight I should have fitted the big head bolts two by two as with the thickness of the silicone and fibreglass they no longer lined up. Only one thing for it, two had to be dug out and replaced with bolts.

P6130112_s.jpg

Spot my little plaster on the chip that appeared. Good excuse for carbon ones later down the line?

Thursday evening saw the grill get fitted having siliconed cable tie mounts in the previous night.

P6140113_s.jpg

Can't help but feel the badge might be better orange. I also started fitting the dash - trimming it from it's rectangular shape and making the cut out for the main switch bank. I fitted rivnuts to the scuttle to secure it.

P6150114_s.jpg

And that's how it was left. So I had just two hours this afternoon to finish it off!

P6150115_s.jpg

P6150116_s.jpg

Phew! Well I say finish it off, I may have left a few bits! Obviously this wasn't an IVA so there was no need for the crash pad, it was more to get a second pair of eyes over the car. I'll probably schedule another one a few days before the IVA as the testers will (and did) pick up stuff I miss.

So, things learned:

• I have no self centre effect what so ever
  • The speedo doesn't work, though seemed to under hard acceleration. I think I've found a loose earth though, might be that.
  • The temperature gauge needs calibrating. Unless it really does sit at 135-137 degrees. As the 92 degree fan comes on at 137 ish, I guess not. It also thinks it's 55 degrees cold...

That's probably about it. I got the call I've been waiting for this morning. IVA is 4th July. Not as early as I'd hoped but the two weeks are welcome, saves me rushing making it IVA ready.

Couple of MOT photos. If you ignore the dodgy cycle wing, I think it's actually not a bad looking car. Quite pleased with that aspect!

temporary-1.jpg

temporary.jpg

Next weeks tasks are to finish off the 'build' (loose earth, rear view mirror and missing switches) then start on some modest alignment. Then a whole week after that dedicated to IVA covers!

My speedo initially didn't work either, I had to move the sensor closer in to the bolt heads.

I had zero self centering too. My IVA tester said he'd never driven a kit car that did have any and passed me :t-up: (this is no guarantee that you'll be okay too!)

Good luck.

Hope you enjoyed getting into the wild. You were not joking when you mentioned the low sump!