• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Donor done, build started

Dommo

maybe he can stitch the gear gaiter... then some footballs to pay for the bl**** thing.

It took slightly longer than expected but the prop arrived back on Monday. The Westfield measurements were indeed correct in my case, though they measure from the centre of the UJs which isn't much good when you're supplying a diff - gearbox measurement

P3260179_s.jpg

Before I fitted that though I changed the rear gearbox seal and the turret seal - it had seen better days:

P3260180_s.jpg

I changed the oil in the turret and refitted the lever.

P3260183_s.jpg

And onto things that make a visual difference again! I got the pillars mounted last night (just at the bottom). I decided it was a bit late to be measuring the windscreen measurements so left it at that.

P3260185_s.jpg

And today, with the traditional 1008mm and 1012mm lengths of wood, the windscreen is in!

P3270186_s.jpg

P3270188_s.jpg

I'll take the scuttle off tomorrow once the silicone has dried and get the wipers fitted. To finish off though, I fitted the blanks for the EGR.

P3270189_s.jpg

Might book the IVA tomorrow!

Well done, getting close now!

Coming on now Dom, get your cash ready for the phone call from VOSA if you send your forms off, Monday would be my guess

Take it easy drilling out the holes for the wiper posts, the indentations in the top of the scuttle are bigger than they need to be. I made the error of thinking the whole of the indentation had to come out with the Dremmel and found I had to sort out slightly oversized hole problem afterwards!

Start small and fettle out as necessary is my free tip of the day. :t-up:

Didn't even make it that far - trimmed the fillet too much and it'd not wide enough any more. Whoops! I'll order a new one tomorrow. Hopefully they have one from my batch in stock!

Toys :d

P3290111_s.jpg

Now, where did I put Smokey Mow's wiring guide...

Steering column is all bolted up and connected now. It sits quite close to the inlet manifold support bracket, so I may get a custom one fabbed up, if it even needs one. Anyway, the point of all the faffing about with the splines - this seal:

P32901111_s.jpg

Rescued from the MX5, should hopefully do the job. I also fitted the inside one though not sure why.

P3290112_s.jpg

Fitting the prop showed it fouled on the handbrake bolts. I've thus fitted rivnuts on the passenger side and bolted it on 'backwards' as it were. This mean I could use countersunk nuts and whilst it was tricky getting them to bite in the rivnut, I think it's all been worth it.

P3290113_s.jpg

P3290114_s.jpg

The speed sender has also been fitted. Fortunately it comes with an led on top to show when it's working. Just as well as the first position I put it in didn't work! In the end I'm reading the bits on the diff itself.

P3290115_s.jpg

I meant to cable tie the wiring loom to the bracket to help keep it away from the diff. Oops! Off with the tunnel top again then.

Now, as we know, no bit of progress is complete without a disaster and this time those brake pipes have come back to haunt me. Went to bleed the brakes today but it seems it's leaking from one connection. Probably not bad in the scheme of things, just one connection out of all of them. It would be the hardest to get to though!

P3290119_s.jpg

(it's the bottom pipe in this photo)

The leak was coming down the pipe so I undid it and flared it out a little. Unfortunately I flared it too far and split it. I cut that off and reflared it a bit further down. Unfortunately it still leaked. Probably a blessing is disguise and shortening it did make a bit of a mess of the route in that area.

I've ordered some bits now so I'll be able to cut the pipe off behind the seat backs and attach a new one. It makes the most sense as I won't have to replace the entire pipe and I can plan the route better.

Still, I'd just like to say "f***** brake pipes" one more time. It makes me feel better. f***** brake pipes.

I replaced the manifold support bracket on mine as it made it quite difficult to change the oil filter.

I'll get you a picture at the weekend as I don't appear to have one ATM but it's bassically a length of aluminium rod, threaded at both ends with a slight bend in it. At the top it is clamped to the manifold with a nut either side and at the bottom I screwed on a small female rod-end and bolted it to the block using the existing fixing hole.

Sounds like we had different problems - my oil filter is nice and accessible. I reckon under engine movement there's a fair chance it would hit the steering column though. Not sure there's any way around that - maybe the engine doesn't move as much as I think it will.

Dom - mine run close to the it as well. But all I did was grind away a small section of the support bracket, to allow for clearance.

This is the support I made for mine, plenty of room between it and the lower steering column.

DSC_0775.jpg

Thanks Mark, I'll try grinding away at it first but that looks like a simple but effective solution!

• 2 weeks later...

Come on Dommo - about time we had an update.......

Have you booked the IVA test yet?

All Built Wrong ;)

Just resizing some photos for todays update now