• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chazpowerslide

• ChrisF

• CrashBangWallop

• scruffythefirst

New dash should be here by the end of this week, all powdercoating done and the cabling for the ECU has been purchased.

It's a bit of a b******* I'm on lates this week (no tinkering time)

Chaz.

Evening people,

Well, tonight I wrapped the turbo up in that fibrous-silver stuff.  I started the engine and got a definite water spit out of the exhaust, between the turbo and exhaust manifold.  I hope that's not a sign of something a bit more nasty looming. :-O

I left the car to warm up and then slowly drove the car up and down the driveway.  Nothing particularly stressful.  I could feel the car hiccup and start to splutter.

I got out of the car and started wiggling things attached to the loom.  Nothing.  So, I pulled the ISCV connector out and the rev's dropped immediately.  Plugged it back in and up it went. Out - down.  In - up. Out - down. In - up, etc.  I drove the car up and down the street a few times.  I felt the car start to splutter and a small 'POP'.  It very nearly cut out.  The car wasn't happy.  Revving the car when it's idle, with the ISCV in, drops the revs to a high idle, then drops down to a lower amount about a second later. I know it should do this and I always kind-of thought this was my problem - the way the ISCV also helps with pulling away.

"Crap!" I thought.

I knew the car was going to cut out if I drove it again and, to prove it to myself, I set off down the street again.  I came to a stop - put the car into first and attempted to pull away.  Splutter, splutter, die.  As suspected.

"CRAP!" I said out loud.

After reading somewhere on the FiestaTurbo forums on cars stalling when hot, I un-clipped the ISCV sensor.  Gave the car 5 minutes to sort itself out and started it up again.  The car was idling rather low but, as my rev counter is not reading correctly I can only guess how low it is.  It's almost as if the engine isn't running.  It's eerily quiet.  However, it IS running so, I took it down the street and turned around.  No hiccups.  No splutters.  I drove up and down the street a few more times to get a bit of confidence to go further than the end of my street  The rev's are dropping low when idling but, the car hasn't stalled.

"Crikey!" I mumbled under my breath.

I drove down to the petrol station and filled it up.  I drove around Cambridge for five minutes - sticking my foot down and braking where I could to try and get some spluttering and popping.  No joy... which is a good thing.  Up onto Milton Road and a bit of screamer through the traffic lights up to Milton roundabout.  Still no spluttering.  I done a bit shopping in Tesco and bought myself a Lindt easter egg to celebrate (which, I devoured in about 2 minutes) :-D

The drive home, through the science park again gave me a chance to open up the car.  No nasty splutters. No coughs. No pops.  Even though, the rev's drop to quite a low amount. It didn't stall once and needed no assistance from me to stop it, either.

So, one new fuel pump, one new crank position sensor and one new air charge temp sender later...  Well, at least I now have spares. :-/

I'll have to take the car on a longer run without the ISCV plugged in. to make sure the car is fine but, I don't think it's going back on, though I might pull the ISCV off and check that the plunger hasn't stuck.  The car WAS working fine when I first started driving it so, this might be something I need to keep an eye on in future.

I've got a new sat-nav phone too.  So, maybe, I can go somewhere new and not worry about getting lost!

Overall,  I'm currently a happy bunny... though, that's probably because I've just devoured an easter egg!  And I might actually make Stoneleigh this year, afterall!

Neil

s**t Neil you just have driven more that 100yds...thats a miracle  :t-up:  :D

And more than once, too!

:D

IRRC you dismantled and cleaned the ISCV?

Did you re assemble it correctly or dammage it when taking it appart?

Did you replace the gasgets/o rings?

There is not a lot that can go wrong with the ISCV valve TBH it could be a cabling fault giving the ECU dicky readings.

You can adjust the idle speed via a screw on the throttle body, it may be worth disconnecting the valve and re-setting the idle speed.

Chaz.

IRRC you dismantled and cleaned the ISCV?

Did you re assemble it correctly or dammage it when taking it appart?

Did you replace the gasgets/o rings?

There is not a lot that can go wrong with the ISCV valve TBH it could be a cabling fault giving the ECU dicky readings.

I did, yes.  Still, I suppose, there's no reason why it can't stick again.

Yes. I replaced the o-rings and put new gaskets back onto it.

If not a lot can go wrong with them, then there's a fair chance that I haven't screwed up putting back together again, is there ???:D

Well i've only just realised when stonliegh is.

Reckon i can get brakes on and bled, it trailered out to get an exhaust, scuttle and bodywork on, dash wired up, ecu loom finished, wideband installed (c'mon bill :D ) and 100 little jobs (none of which i have parts for), through SVA, registered and mapped in 5 weeks?

Anyone got a trailer and or car with towbar and are free in the next 2-3 weeks???

Chaz, can your new company vehicle get a 7 in :D:D:D

Scruffy

I've got a tow bar but no trailer.

If I can help I will, but I will need some notice so I can book some time off work.

Andrew