0-60 times.

Bananaman

Reason we use the AP-22 is that it logs the time from the first movement (setup correctly it will 'feel' the first engagement of clutch slip).

The problem with the most dataloggers (Stack, MyChron, SPA, etc.) is that they don't use G, they use speed, this means it can take an entire revolution of the wheel (some don't even register speed until 2.7mph) to begin timing.

This can be made slightly more accurate through the use of multiple magnets (what the speed sensor registers) but it's *never* 100%. The sensor will need to see at least 2 pulses before it registers speed. So, times quoted from loggers like the Stack/MyChron need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

One way to get a more sensible result from them is to hold the revs steady and then dump/slip the clutch. When looking at the plot, take the start time as the moment the revs first dip.

Oh, and don't even get me started on measuring 0-60mph from a speed sensor on the back wheels  :p

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bananaman

• fastcarl

• samcooke

• gee_fin

R1 171bhp + 389kg = 439.59bhp/tonne

So you'll blast away in a straight line. Then the BECs will have to trickle along behind you as you struggle to bring 500kg of pig iron down on the brakes and the big heavy nose pushes wide in the corners.

:devil:

Yeah, but getting past once your behind isn't easy, so it'll be bye bye BEC when the cornering is finished, and you'll never catch up or get past.... :0  :0  :p  :p  :D  :D

Sam

I wasn't baiting, honest, just interested. :)

As for Blatters comments, I think he's covered it. ;)

By the way how much does the average BEC weigh? :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Andy :p

I wasn't baiting, honest, just interested.

A likely story...  ;)

Anyway, a nice BEC will go by round the outside through craners or up the inside at PHB no probs at all and if that doesn't work just outbrake you into Druids.

Hennyway, if straight lining is the goal howsabout a nice methanol funnycar?

By the way how much does the average BEC weigh?

Average BEC? Dunno. Average Fury R1 390 - 410kg,  well built ones with money invested in lightening more like 370kg. Busas a bit more, fireblades about the same or a bit less.

R1 160bhp + 400kg = 400bhp/tonne

Add just over 10bhp and take off at least 10kg please  :t-up:

What's the R1 SEi do then?

Well, Rich's Sylva did 3.4s to 60 and mid 8s to 100mph. Mines a bit lighter and from the plots should have a couple of bhp more. I guess traction is the issue to 60mph and I don't expect the tyres to be giving any more grip....anyways, I'll find out on Monday when I'm in Bristol.

Anyways, as long as I can knock that damn SLR off the top of the list I'll be happy  :)

By the way how much does the average BEC weigh?

Given the weights we've seen from factory cars the usual values are  -

MegaBusa - ~460kg

MegaBird - ~455kg

MegaBlade - ~430kg

There are of course many ones lighter than this thanks to people ditching a lot of the unnecessary heavy rubbish that is usually packaged with them but to see the likes of a MegaBusa/Bird genuinely below the 430kg mark is very rare.

Before you ask, the R1 is 20kg lighter than the Busa and doesn't need dry sumping (ala the Blade engine) and that's where the easy weight saving comes from :)

The other difficulty is that some people weigh the cars full of fuel, some don't, then there's windscreens, ACB10s vs A032s, etc. etc. so it gets quite difficult to truly coimpare the values....

all very interesting fellas ,but i own a rover cooper that will hit 96 mph in 7.5 secs ,yes its FWD and it is 1300 cc, A series incidently my best 60 ft at the strip is 1,56 sec,

carl

Adrian ,this car  has a best time up harewood hill of 65.46.

when i sprinted it 6 nyrs back.

and stu ,i take it you don't beleive me then ,fortunatly for me i have thousands of witnesses

regards carl.  ps i dont have a speedo  [too heavy ,  ]

Carl, just a wind up (hence the smileys..... :D ) but as you have asked, yes I am a little sceptical.

Having owned a few Mini's myself (road/race), it's hard to picture where you are getting the traction from to get 96 mph in 7.5 secs. And if the traction is found, then you need a lot of poke, and from a 1300cc A series, well, fair credit to ya.

But the cornering ability, and the subsequent performance of a well set up Mini on a hillclimb I have no problem  believing.... ;)  :cool:

96 mph in 7.5 isn't really all that fast though, is it? You can buy plenty of cars straight off the production line that will match that.  ???