Cobra 427 Build

KugaWestie

Didn't mean to cause any confusion - Dave is correct. The valve needs to allow two way air flow but closes if the tank is inverted to prevent fuel leaking if the car rolls. I'm not sure an anti-syphon valve does the same thing

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

Anti syphon valves are typically closed by default, usually just a wee ball bearing type valve, with a weak spring holding it closed. The minute fuel flow starts in the correct direction, the valve is pushed open. If the flow stops, the spring pushes the valve shut again, and of course, stops fuel flowing the other way, at all. The trouble is, with this type, air flow at best is one direction, but, sometimes the spring can allow more gas pressure than ideal before it opens at all.

I’m sure there may be cheap springless versions that might just do what you want. BUT, given that it’s both a safety critical device in a roll over, and on a day To day basis, incorrect operation will either make the car run badly, (vacuum in tank), or distort the tank itself, I’m not sure I’d be risking it personally.

Last piece of POR15 painting (for a while) done tonight

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

Front and Rear Calipers are back from being rebuilt and electro plated

IMG_1395.thumb.JPG.ff6bfcf82fb63c7a5cb3eba30b7213fe.JPG

IMG_1396.thumb.JPG.c7c4b3d69b7f818dfec3fc6de974f468.JPG

IMG_1397.thumb.JPG.fcf8bcb2a378f07fac6bca84270069ac.JPG

I need to decide whether to leave them like that or spray them now............

keep up the good work :yes:

Tonight I took the diff out of the chassis and set it aside

IMG_1404.thumb.JPG.c2fd202a2aab5ec59bdd88698bf71309.JPG

I cleaned all the tools/diagrams/materials off the chassis that has accumulated over the last few weeks, and then gave it a clean down with paraffin.

Then I got the rattle cans out (Simoniz Tough Paint) and gave the back end of the chassis a couple of coats

IMG_1405.thumb.JPG.e4a3100a993503ad3248dbe3207fde17.JPG

Hopefully I will get the rest of the chassis done over the weekend

Those diffs are big lumps. Make sure you keep the air round those rear discs  when on the car , as use them on track and then can melt the diff seals.

16 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Those diffs are big lumps. Make sure you keep the air round those rear discs  when on the car , as use them on track and then can melt the diff seals.

You are not wrong, the diff weighs a lot! I struggled to lift the back of the chassis with it fitted. Now I have dropped it out I can lift the chassis easily!

There is no chance of this car going on track whilst I own it, It will never be as quick and agile as the Westy so no need to try as it would only leave me wanting!

I sprayed the rest of the topside of the chassis tonight.

IMG_1407.thumb.JPG.155a2bc7b3c53b90b939beb6b8d1b00e.JPG

IMG_1408.thumb.JPG.b6c9489df2867d6ad3c807fd195d8210.JPG

The plan is to let that go off for a day or so. Then I will get it off the build dolly and onto its side which will allow me to spray the underside and fit brake and fuel lines

There will be some bits of welding to do in various places I am sure, but I will have to locally touch those areas up as they are done

3 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Nice progress Gary. Is the paint easy to apply ?

Yes I like the Simoniz tough paint, goes on pretty well as long as it is room temperature rather than garage temperature 

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.