Cobra 427 Build

KugaWestie

3 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Impressive stuff Gary. i take it you have work benches in the 'old' garage to do stuff ?

Thanks

The workbench is in the workshop/store, which is in another part of the estate :laugh:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

23 minutes ago, AdgeC said:

Great, back to automotive engineering rather than civil construction (impressed with what you've achieved in a short timescale though). Looking forward to seeing the Cobra coming to life.

Thanks.

The garage was the easy part!!

I had a bit of timber left over from the garage build, so yesterday I knocked up a build trolley and put the chassis on it

IMG_1218.thumb.JPG.8fb4075bc7584adbd81d35888379cb3f.JPG

IMG_1219.thumb.JPG.05e07592d9604b7bcb6f43ee683ac29d.JPG

I have started having a sort through the donor parts I have got from the XJS, as well as trying to work out what they are/where they go!

IMG_1245.thumb.JPG.2f5838731210b311d845881228c09ffa.JPG

IMG_1244.thumb.JPG.abc257c1a30cc6992d672a61c156a0a2.JPG

I also noticed that one of the drive shafts had been damaged on the threaded hub end

IMG_1239.thumb.JPG.23532b89785be95433eb3d46d8ce7f37.JPG

The hub nut would simply not start on the thread, no surprise really looking at the state of it

After some patient work with a set of needle files for about and hour, I managed to get the nut threaded on about halfway through the nut, but by that time it was going really tight.

So I decided to try a bit of brute force. Out came the oil can and impact wrench. A few seconds later it was on.

IMG_1243.thumb.JPG.3b9a1f77a63ff90b89ee1a2b28d3bb1e.JPG

A few more minutes of winding the nut on and off and it now spins freely

A question for you.

I had a quick look at the ally fuel tank for the car. It is baffled which is a good start. There is no swirl sump on the corner like the Westfield one. I dont think this is essential for what will be a pure road car, do you agree?

Also on the tank there is an outlet on the top of it which will work for a breather. There are two outlets on the bottom of the tank.
The engine will be fuel injected.

What I am toying with is whether I can use these two outlets on the bottom which means I would not have to alter the tank.
One outlet for the fuel to feed into the fuel pump, and the other to receive the return/unused fuel from the engine.
I am assuming that the returned unused fuel will still be at a decent pressure so in theory should be "pumped" back into the tank through the bottom outlet.
What do you think?

The other consideration is whether pumping unused fuel back into the bottom of the tank would aerate the fuel already in the tank? 

Discuss please :yes:

Hi, Gary,

Many years ago, I rallied a BMW 2002 Tii into which I had fitted a Ford Capri Mk1 fuel tank.  Once the fuel level was low, the car used to cut out on corners once the fuel injection gulped any air at all.  I solved the problem with a small (approx 1.0l) vertical bottle into which fuel was pumped from the tank and then the fuel injection pump drew from this and returned the spare fuel.  I would say that you would be best to do something similar, or construct something in the tank to prevent cutting out.  I made my bottle from a MIG welding gas canister - not the lightest thing but it was to hand!

Simon

Yes the returned fuel can be pumped back into the bottom of the tank, without worry of aeration. If the baffles are good and you don't run the tank low then you may be fine for a road car, although I don't know that I believe you'll be driving that cautiously, Gary :laugh:

Might actually help avoid starvation Gary, mine is at the top of the tank and when running low fuel levels for sprints, the fuel can't return to the sump in the tank quick enough. If the return line was in the bottom of the tank, or even better in to the sump, this would be avoided.

Gary, I have 6 or 8 dolly wheels , with mounting plates you can borrow , which I used on my chassis frame. I'd get them myself, but stuck under the screed still :oops:

On 05/01/2018 at 18:50, Kit Car Electronics said:

Yes the returned fuel can be pumped back into the bottom of the tank, without worry of aeration. If the baffles are good and you don't run the tank low then you may be fine for a road car, although I don't know that I believe you'll be driving that cautiously, Gary :laugh:

Thanks Mike :laugh:

I think I will include a small swirl pot and two pumps as long as there is room. 

Its good to know that I can return into the bottom of the tank :yes:

On 05/01/2018 at 19:05, Thrustyjust said:

Gary, I have 6 or 8 dolly wheels , with mounting plates you can borrow , which I used on my chassis frame. I'd get them myself, but stuck under the screed still :oops:

Thanks but I think I will be ok.

As soon as the fuel and brake lines are through I plan on getting the suspension on and then putting it onto the wheel dollies so it won't be up high that long

Bit of progress this afternoon

Front stub axle carriers put together loosely. They need inner and outer bearings still

IMG_1257.thumb.JPG.0863714b6ed8bc77cbd2431d31aeda70.JPG

Bushes removed from front lower wishbones

IMG_1258.thumb.JPG.6de4c31e0d05c446ed3a57e389642342.JPG

Front upper wishbones reassembled loosely with new ball joint

IMG_1259.thumb.JPG.1c76a349c3c89fb847ea60a163074127.JPG

All the wishbones need to be painted yet. I am still on the task of working out what I have got and what I need to order up. The plan is to get a decent shopping list and buy it all in one go to keep the postage costs down

New bushes pushed into the front lower wishbones last night

IMG_1266.thumb.JPG.7a84c1c9533b7e58ec5b4a5abf506eff.JPGIMG_1267.thumb.JPG.47d01abeb4c25af00a94d2c82edb00b6.JPG

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.