• Malvern, Help Registration Closed
  • Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Prams are being vacated

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

Caterers look down on Westfielders

Westfielders look down on Locosters

Locosters look down on Hooders

Hooders look down on .........

Personally, I find the whole process risible. It is both unnecessary and unproductive to insult others for simply having different circumstances.

All se7en owners have a shared vision of motoring pleasure, why does it matter which type of se7en you own when everybody knows that all se7ens are just poor substitues for an Eleven :p  :p

Nice 1 Lardy Albert : :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  

PS I  :love: Renault 11's :p

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• James

• Monkeylegend

• Man On The Clapham Omnibus

Methinks they protest too much!!!!

Pass the milk and the kitty litter!!!!

There appears to be a need to justify the additional cost - why?

One post on there talks about Rolex over Seiko, difference is hand made, not just cost.

Forgive the gross generalisation but it seems that people with Rolex's want others to know they can afford one - could this be the reason for the cost justification of our Caterham friends.

All seven style cars are a homage to the original Lotus - compared to each other they are all different not worse not better just different.

I had desired a CateringVan for many a year after a drive with a customer a long time ago, was tracking prices on various sites for Caterham and Westfield, after loads of reading and reviews the desire shifted to one day being able to own a Westfield. Lets face it guys, you cant justify one on any practical basis, they are just good fun.

After joining a local kit car club where all are welcome , RH, Cobra, Fisher et al, I had a trip out in Stueyboys Zetec and job done decision made, I had to get a Westie.

I now have a brilliant car, thats loads of fun and I get the bonus of this site, help, advice, stupid games, abuse and all for about £4k less than the equivalent van.

If we compare the two in watch terms

Caterham = Rolex (Expensive, flash and obvious)

Westfield = Omega (Cheaper, better and does not need to shout about it)

Needless to say I am lucky enough to have both the Omega watch and the Westfield and dont need to justify the cost of either to anyone!!

:blues:

Truth be told, one of the contributors on the site that must not be named summed it up very well when he talked about brand awareness.

Never in the field of sporting motoring have so few paid so much for so little

Like the owners of Newcastle football shirts Caterers go to bed at night warm and comfortable with themselves, just ask Freddy Shepherd :p

Try asking them what parts are common to both Westfields and Caterhams

X-flows

Zetecs

XV's

Gearbox Type 9

rear diff's

read brakes

mini light wheels

the list goes on but would any admit it

Its like all things, some of them over there need to justify the expendature, or project an air of grandure. But not all, I have bought and sold many bits through Blatchat and all the guys (with one excpetion as you'll find anyway) have been top draw individuals. But these guys wont get drawn into such an obviously staged (and very well done too) wind up.

Long live caterhams and westfields both, you'll be telling me that there's a dispute over wether a zetec ot Vx is best next...

TAXI

Oh and by they way where did the handle Blatman draw its insperation :D

forget the taxi make it an ambulance....

I just posted my 10p worth on blatchat....

Have a look and see the reaction.

It was a muted, carefully measured response, here it will be interesting to see what replies/reaction there is/are  :p  :p

I've been thinking on this, outside of kit car clubs etc, everyone and I mean everyone who has seen my car has asked me what it is, they dont know a Caterham from a Westfield from a hole in the ground! I get asked if it is fun, scary, fast, very fast, expensive, how do you get in (and out) and they all get the same answer, yes, yes, oh yes, not really and with difficulty. I am sure Mr Average Caterham owner gets asked the same questions and gives the same answers, however it would seem from the 'twighlight zone' or the 'other side' or blatchat that there is a good deal of insecurity going about!:laugh:

Oh yeah they also ask why I bought a purple one, to that I answer somebody had to, and at least you get to see me coming, you can't be discreet in something that sits six inches off the floor and spits at around 100db.:p

Seriously boys and girls, just let them get on with it.

Blatchat is a Caterham Seven (more so than Lotus Seven, despite the name) forum so what do you expect ?  Of course they'll be all defensive about their cars.  No more, or less, so than if you went onto a Honda forum extolling the virtues of Toyotas.

We all own Westfields for a variety of reasons so don't worry about why someone else has to justify their ownership (forcefully in some cases) of another make of car.  And don't worry if they want to believe a Caterham isn't a kit car.  Life's too short....

Cor, they're really having a go now. It is sad and in a nutshell explains why I no longer frequent that place, despite my feelings for forums in general being so close to those of the BC webmaster.

I have been asked to justify my decision a number of times by non-Caterham owners, but I couldn't care less. V7 just "fits" me nicely. None of the other brands do. I spent an arm and a leg on the car. In fact it's still not paid for (I got additional loans to pay loans etc...) and yet it's probably worth half what I paid for it owing to its particularly hard life and totally non-standard build (now).

I wouldn't change it, although I often look around at other "wonders". One of the Se7ens List guys has a Cossie turbo powered Striker. I bet that's a laugh. Would love to try it out. I love the Megabusa, but would opt for an XTR2 if I was starting again. But the one which probably suits my mode of use, touring, best is the V8 Westy. Such effortless power must be lovely on a 4000 mile blat to Italy and back (last Summer).

Bu again, I wouldn't swap V7 now. It's more about the history we've shared, the fact that I met my wife in it (took her for a spin round a track in Finland), the personal effort I've poured into it, not to mention the bl**** money (and it needs more).

But most of you know I'm a member of the Se7ens List foremost, where companionship and the general love of open topped small home-built cars is more important that the brand of steed. There are a lot of people on Blatchat that think the way I do, but they're silent in such arguments. There is also a small number who just like to have a joke, even though it's not meant. I think there are people like that here too.

As for Buzz's experiences at the local L7 club meet, as an ex-area organiser for the L7 club, I'm ashamed that you received such a reception. My locals are very inclusive (Worcs) and welcome allcomers. Anyone with a love of petrol is valued.

We all own Westfields for a variety of reasons

Not all of us.....

.......but i like you guys!

No-one here seems to really mind when i ask some silly questions about a ford diff or simmilar, even though its not destined for a westfield, which is a refreshing change, although i've just discovered the dax mailing list which is also jammed packed with more specific information and just as helpful people. I'm used to this place now though and just like participating in the banter where i can and hopefully will get to meet and "blat" with you guys in the future. :D:D:D

Scruffy

i will join, i promise