First time at Stoneleigh - some questions!

CherryTreeFW

45CC1BC8-8ED7-41FF-8399-56997125E6B0.jpeg.e46f9d2c107805569f9fadde5531ec8e.jpeg

I’m taking my son Oscar for our first trip to Stoneleigh this year. 

Still new to the Kitcar scene since I got my Westy last summer, and although I know roughly what to expect (I’ve done bike/ car shows before) still a few questions if anyone has the time to spare:

1. Preferences for which day?

2. Would you take your kit and if not, why not?

3. Anything about the layout/ main features which is good to know to make the best of the day?

Given that I am a first timer I clearly don’t know what I don’t know so any other hints and tips from experience very welcome. 

Thanks! 😀

1) Sunday is better in my opinion, as many people stay until much later in the day

2) Yes, definitely if you possibly can!

3) Take a good wander around other club areas - there are lots of interesting cars out there - normally more than in the show hall itself, which might still be rather small this year

Other tips: Suncream, umbrellas, warm clothing. If you can, volunteer for a stint with the club marquee as you'll be made very welcome

• Like 2

There is generally a convoy heading down there on the first day. Details will be posted closer to the time.

last year was a bit of a comedy of errors but we did manage to gather along the route and all made it to stoneleigh eventually.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Si.Dalziel said:

on the first day

First public day, that is. The Sunday.

Don't get confused nearer the time about talk of the Saturday - that's the shows set up day, you will be very welcome to come down and help on the Saturday, too, of course. Just there's not that much to see, at that point!

A few of us local, often do a rolling start, to join the convoy as it comes through jn17/Sandbach. Or there is a formal gathering point at Knutsford services.

Whilst not quiet as epic as the nineties early 2000's convoys, the Stoneleigh M6 Convoy is still a thing to experience, at least once, (and hopefully many times) in your kit car ownership.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I will also be going for the first time with a kit so would like to know where I should get tickets so I can stick the car on the WSSC display?

1 hour ago, Paul Aspden (MoFast) said:

I will also be going for the first time with a kit so would like to know where I should get tickets so I can stick the car on the WSSC display?

Either here (potentially cheaper if you have an adult passenger) or at the gate on the day.  Interesting that for the first time at this show that kit car drivers are being charged an entry fee (£5), so please be ready when you arrive.  Most of us would struggle to reach their wallets while securely belted in to their Westfield.

12 hours ago, Captain Colonial said:

Either here (potentially cheaper if you have an adult passenger) or at the gate on the day.  Interesting that for the first time at this show that kit car drivers are being charged an entry fee (£5), so please be ready when you arrive.  Most of us would struggle to reach their wallets while securely belted in to their Westfield.

@Captain Colonial , @CherryTreeFW and all members.. the Stoneleigh team will have lots of info to issue shortly on WSCC at Stoneleigh for 2022, entry , helpers, AGM, camping, Hog roast etc etc please bear with us until after our next meeting next Monday after which further information and details will be published :cool:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 21/03/2022 at 07:58, Captain Colonial said:

I heard yours is so heavy you struggle to pick it up anyway!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Vote Simon for Chairman said:

I heard yours is so heavy you struggle to pick it up anyway!

That’s rarely true and is usually quickly sorted by Lady Colonial and her “ideas”… 🤦‍♂️

@Kit Car Electronics @Si.Dalziel @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary @Paul Aspden (MoFast) @Captain Colonial @marcusb - thanks for all that, really helpful and very much looking forward to it. One final question - how safe are kits parked up for the day? I assume usual rules apply: remove anything that can be removed and don’t leave any thing in the car. But do I need to go to the lengths of fitting locking wheelnuts?? (So far I’ve never driven the car anywhere I’ve had to leave it out of my sight and my black Team Dynamics didn’t come with lockers). Or am I being paranoid? Cheers, D 🥴

Mines been parked overnight in car parks and kerb side in the UK, France, Germany and Austria without proper locking wheel nuts etc without an issue.

What would someone nick the wheels for? They don’t fit on anything popular in the mainstream world anymore?

The thing with Westfields is, the majority of thieves aren’t interested as their too difficult to do anything with, so most of the things we guard against are either opportunistic people grabbing stuff out, or someone attempting to joy ride.

Oh and the number one irritant, people climbing in and over them for photo opportunities.

If you actually want to nick one, or major parts from one, it’s faster and easier to nick the car and strip it somewhere relatively safe. (BUT anything like that is insanely rare)

10 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Mines been parked overnight in car parks and kerb side in the UK, France, Germany and Austria without proper locking wheel nuts etc without an issue.

What would someone nick the wheels for? They don’t fit on anything popular in the mainstream world anymore?

The thing with Westfields is, the majority of thieves aren’t interested as their too difficult to do anything with, so most of the things we guard against are either opportunistic people grabbing stuff out, or someone attempting to joy ride.

Oh and the number one irritant, people climbing in and over them for photo opportunities.

If you actually want to nick one, or major parts from one, it’s faster and easier to nick the car and strip it somewhere relatively safe. (BUT anything like that is insanely rare)

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary - excellent: I feel a tad embarrassed at my level of paranoia! Thanks, that will simplify the experience! Cheers, D. 

17 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Just charge them a fiver!!

• Haha 1

Don’t be, don’t be at all. We’ve all been there I suspect. (First show I ever left mine parked up at, I walked back past it every 15/20 minutes to make sure it was OK!

The truth with all these things, is you have to do what you feel comfortable with. If something preys on your mind, then do it, and let your self relax.

Attended our first Stoneleigh show last year. Was pleasantly surprised at how well organised it was. As soon as you get there you will immediately realise your car is very safe there. 

• Like 1