Garage Roller Door Recommendations Please

djm

@jonjh1964, thanks for your reply. Do you have a photo from inside the garage?

Do you know what a safety edge is?

Andy

14C72772-1D58-4129-BB71-F0EB4124B00F.thumb.jpeg.2799a50a6fdaf05c4e58a1b6048ced01.jpeg739DBB43-EF9E-4182-8395-CAF2ED2207D7.thumb.jpeg.d9a7ae89dcdff3ba2b7b1af280bca7f5.jpeg

safe edge is a rubber strip at the bottom of the curtain that has a sensor to stop the door if it hits anything.

@Greenstreak-Andy D No I haven't decided on anything yet but I am more concerned with maximising my door width. My current up and over door is mounted between the brickwork and the frame reduces the width by about 130mm, I am OK for space inside the garage. So my preferred option would be to mount it on the rear of the brick columns.

You have probably kick-started me into getting it done now!

The smallest headroom roller shutter used to be a securoglide compact which from memory needed 300mm of headroom to roll into. If you are happy to sacrifice door aperture for space inside the garage look for the narrowest slat roller shutter otherwise option B will be your best option 

Most Roller shutters are very insecure as it takes very little force to bend the slats sufficiently to pop them from the guides.

I used to replace a significant number after breaks in or accidental parking bumps

from what i remember the door i had was a 300 mm box and could be mounted any way mentioned. that diagram earlier was very similar to the order form i used which had very clear instructions how to measure up for each instance. It was all online and was a step by step guide. 

in terms of warranties etc mine was sold as a self install kit and so long as you followed the instructions it had one. 

I get what was said about the bendiness of them. where my garage was sited caught the wind that was funneld by the houses layout and in very strong winds bowed inwards a worrying amount. I was at the max width for the size slats used before having to go to a larger size. it did occur to me that someone could force them out and break in. its no more of a worry than someone smashing a window or door in tbh. 

DIY fitted a similar thing recently. Widened the door aperture and mounted it inside to maximise the through-clearance.  Very happy with it so far.

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/10/2020 at 21:11, Matt_S said:

I used these guys for my securoglide doors, very pleased with them and cheapest supplier I could find, they also do Hormann and Garadoor.

https://www.garagedoors.uk.com

There’s a bristol based branch as well.

I've not long had one fitted by SDS of Midsomer Norton near Bath. I have a Horman Rollmatic.

Brilliant company and quality door.

The guys that fitted it were brilliant too.

I had a quote from a local company before deciding I would do mine myself, the supplied and fitted quote was £2800 for two doors.

I bought the same quality of doors off https://rollerdooruk.online/ for £1300 delivered for two doors.

Go for larger and thicker slats if you do go roller door,mine are 75mm slats. 

First pic shows how you can go between the brick and the size of the door box 👍

I'm 6ft3 and can walk into the garage with probably 1 inch to spare to the bottom of the roller door when it's open.

20181024_143213.jpg

20181025_165116.jpg

• Like 1

Cheap and cheerful roller door for me, 55mm slats with 2 key fobs and a internal wall switch. All for £1295 fitted.  As mentioned before, anything is better than a draughty up and over door and our bedroom is above the garage which is noticbly warmer than before. 

A0A31335-C2A8-4C0E-AEB4-01E9B78E472D.jpeg

• Like 1

I have that same controller on my Seceuroglide Compact. 

• Like 1

Thanks all, I just need to get this sorted now. I was really hoping for a sectional door but I have space restrictions so will be looking at a roller type. 

Good to get your feedback gents

Thank you

• Like 1

Yes plenty of food for thought, I also need to get the ball rolling (sorry door rolling!!!)

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 01/11/2021 at 23:53, CosKev said:

I had a quote from a local company before deciding I would do mine myself, the supplied and fitted quote was £2800 for two doors.

I bought the same quality of doors off https://rollerdooruk.online/ for £1300 delivered for two doors.

Go for larger and thicker slats if you do go roller door,mine are 75mm slats. 

First pic shows how you can go between the brick and the size of the door box 👍

I'm 6ft3 and can walk into the garage with probably 1 inch to spare to the bottom of the roller door when it's open.

20181024_143213.jpg

20181025_165116.jpg

Many thanks for the recommendation for these doors.  I ordered a pair for my garage too.  Supplier was great and the delivery driver gave me regular updates on his journey to me.

They were easy enough to install.  I went for the option of fitting between the brick to give a smooth look from the outside whilst maximising internal space.  The motor box was a bit of a squeeze to fit between the brick ends.  A few bits of raised mortar needed removing to get it in properly.  Programming the up and down limits, remote controls and safety edge was straightforward.

My garage is now draft free. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobP said:

Many thanks for the recommendation for these doors.  I ordered a pair for my garage too.  Easy enough to install and my garage is now draft free.

Just keep an eye on condensation in there now!

I've had to put Dehumidifiers in my garage after fitting the doors, was getting condensation on all my tools😏