Garage Roller Door Recommendations Please

djm

Recommendations and advice sought for which garage roller door to buy? Supply and fit. Thanks

I can recommend the Hormann  electric garage door by garage doors uk. Comes with a garage remote (if you’re able to access garage from house) and a smaller one which comes as a keyring. I use the small one in the garage to open from inside then lock it again when I’m outside,  saving me getting out of the car when I drive off. It also has a gap function where the door opens by about 6 inches.

I have two single sized Seceuroglide Compact doors which were installed about six years ago by a firm in Watford. I had a safety edge device circuit board fail and replaced under warranty, and batteries for the safety edges to replace every couple of years. That apart they are trouble free. A word of warning though; I understand that double width doors facing south are not unknown to jam because of thermal expansion in the summer months. Black doors are particularly susceptible. Mine make a racket on hot days as the slats part, but being only 7' wide they do not jam. 

The claims for insulation are dubious IMHO because the curtain is very thin and mine get really hot on summer days. The foam filling is primarily there to stop the thin aluminium hollow slats from buckling, not to insulate. Sectional doors are thicker so they may have some insulation value. Draught proofing is important for two reasons: draughts being the most obvious, but rodent exclusion is a bonus!

Roller shutters by design are neither air tight or draft free. There is always an air gap between the curtain and hole in the wall. 

Sectional door on the other hand have a good seal around all 4 sides. Assuming a level floor.

When I used to fit , even in the depths of winter, once sectional door panels were installed it was amazing how quickly a garage warmed up. 

Interesting I must admit I hadn't considered the draught aspects of the doors. I assumed that as they claimed that the doors were insulated that they would be draught free! 

Thanks I will quiz the company's on this aspect on rollers versus sectional.

My Seceuroglide runs in draught strip channels at the sides, seals on the (smooth) concrete floor, and has a draught strip across the top which the curtain is pressed against when the door is closed. There's more draughts around my front door than around the roller door. The whole 'insulated slats' claim is where I take issue. A sectional door is preferable in many ways but you lose access to the ceiling above where the door opens, and you need a clear area of headroom for it to retract into. Sadly I have an RSJ that precludes a sectional door or I would have happily had one (two).

In the photograph you will see the clear run of ceiling before the RSJ is too short for a sectional to retract into. 

tOfXza8.jpg

18 hours ago, djm said:

Interesting I must admit I hadn't considered the draught aspects of the doors.

I went from up and over doors to rollers and they are as good as draft free compared to up and overs!

You can get different thicknesses of slats iirc,mine are the thicker type and my garage is way warmer,quieter and draft free now.

Only downside I've found was the amount of condensation I started to get after fitting them,I now have a dehumidifier running permanently to stop my tools etc getting covered in condensation. 

Bought my sectional door from Hormann with their Supramatic motor as a kit. Really easy fit took two of us less than a day. Been working well since 2009, just new batteries for the remote control.

I got the one I fitted to my previous garage from a company caller rollerdor i think it was relatively cheap for a roller door at 400 for an 8ftx7ft door. 
Judicious boxing in removed gaps and it too ran in channels with draft excluders. 

have to say it was possibly the easiest thing in the world to fit. The channels came oversized so you cut them to the length you wanted. Bolted them to the wall and then plonked the roll in its box on the top. It sort of slotted into the channels. Plugged in using a 13A plug. You then just followed a set of instructions to set the door parameters and screwed the cover on. Building the pillars it was screwed to was more complicated!

Thanks everyone for your advice I have about 18 inches above the door useful storage space and a light fitted near the front door so a it will be a roller door so I don't lose either of those. I'll be getting some quotes soon thanks again.

• 11 months later...

Just opening up this topic again, as i am tentatively thinking of replacing the ageing drafty up and over garage door with a roller type, insulated.

It is a single garage, the photo shows the adjacent brickwork. Currently there is a 3"x3" wood on the sides and above nailed or screwed to the walls. I want to keep garage space to a max, but accept the roller would tend to bring the roller door into the garage. My neighbour a roller garage door, the same style of house and he has lost garage space due to roller position. So i think i am option A below... (but would have preferred B)

IMG_2970.thumb.jpeg.954c826099239390b337854f10130a7e.jpeg

838342063_Screenshot2021-10-02at16_54_03.png.5e09ecd9195dad8e80cea66ebb0413dc.png

Also not sure if i should be looking a Aluminium or steel door, steel must be more secure but prone to corrosion?

I see some doors have deeper slats (sectional door?), almost 5 or 6 over the whole drop. Do these offer better insulation? I assume these are only for up and over type though, rather than the narrow slats which can use a roller as the image above.

@djm, did you get a new garage door? Any advice or further recommendations welcome.

I'm in Sandbach, Cheshire, but assume the companies listed above cover nationwide.

I will get it fitted rather than fit myself, even though @dombanks says they are an easy fit. Just need the warranty, IYSWIM.

What is a 'safety edge'?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Andy,

I went for a 55mm roller door fitted under the lintel and at the front edge of the brick entry. Overall I lost nothing from the opening width and an inch or so off the height.  I fitted them myself with the help of my son and did both in a day including drilling, fitting an external manual override and somfy edge switch/alarms.

55mm roller

IMG_0253.thumb.jpg.88a9b0c9c05ccea8bcaeb49da60e4e36.jpg

• Like 1