Att VX owners  !!!!!

scooby

Now all we need to see is if SBD turbo there car ;)

I believe SBD have seen the light and are now tunning Busa engines  :D

Got the flyer from the Autosport show.

Bazzer

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Seabrook

• mb893

• Blatman

• scruffythefirst

If theres money in it im sure they will do it but they still have not got it in there car have they :D

I'd be surprised if Duncan's Dax was less than 450Kg and he kept the boost turned down all season to abour 0.8bar, just under 12 psi.  It was still giving about 290-ish bhp on just 0.8bar.

On full boost it makes about 380bhp at the crank and I believe in the region of 260 lb ft.  With the addition of Carillo rods, a stronger gearbox output shaft and a slightly bigger turbo the same engine will make 500bhp.  (The power curve is a bit on the steep side )

How many car engines are that flexible ?  None, BEC is the way forward !!!  :D

I'd be surprised if Duncan's Dax was less than 450Kg and he kept the boost turned down all season to abour 0.8bar, just under 12 psi.  It was still giving about 290-ish bhp on just 0.8bar.

On full boost it makes about 380bhp at the crank and I believe in the region of 260 lb ft.  With the addition of Carillo rods, a stronger gearbox output shaft and a slightly bigger turbo the same engine will make 500bhp.  (The power curve is a bit on the steep side )

How many car engines are that flexible ?  None, BEC is the way forward !!!  :D

I think that's drifting into the realms of one-off engines, so by comparison you could look at the 2.0 engines being used in European Rallycross.  Take the restrictors off those and 750bhp is by no means uncommon.  

And I believe Martin Schanke was, maybe still is, using a, wait for it, VAUXHALL engine (OK, it's badged as an Opel, but it's the same thing :p ).

Cossie turbo or c20let, turbo, proper engine. sorted

Scruffy

Only if you want a dual purpose anchor and engine  ;)  :D

I am right in saying the SBD car in question is not a road car. Am I also right in saying it is a pretty light chassis, not one that us lot have got from the Westfield factory.

If so isn't this a bit of a daft argument about VX engines being quickest at Brighton. SBD have this car, they happen to develop VX engines, they could do the same with the new alloy 1.6l Zetec could'nt they ???  ???  ???  ???

Surely we need to compare apples with apples so we could compare the engine and gearboxes straight out of the vehicles they come from.

So straight out of the Busa 180BHP 6 speed sequential gearbox at 85KGS

Out of the Astra 150BHP and a Sierra 5 speed wide ratio gearbox. Weighs in similar to a collapsed star.

I know which one I would have :-)

Or you could do it on Cost.  I reckon I could get a Busa engine for about £2500 (or maybe cheaper but I will give you a chance).

So what sort of Astra engine and gearbox can you get for that ?

Bazzer

:D  

This is Fun  :D

There are a lot of Hayabusa engines making well over 400bhp in road trim, all from 1299cc.  The 500bhp engines have only just started to appear but only then because nobody believed the engine would stand making that much power on the road so they didn't bother.  None of these are one-off engines, you can buy all the necesaary parts from Velocity racing.

In the US there are a small number of people running with 500+bhp and the engine, apart from the usual studs, rods, pistons and gearbox output shaft, are standard.  Some people fit different springs, others use a ported head etc but on the whole these additional tweaks are not generally required.

The highest power recorded was 639bhp and the head gasket blew.  They think they can solve that problem with stronger head studs but the engine was fine.  I can't remember what boost it was running but it would be in the mid to high 30's.

apples with apples - perhaps we should look to class F in our sprint series?  modified road going. 2ltr Vx's competing against busas

can anyone remeber what happened there?

b******* just realised i've got a Vx - must learn to keep me gob shut! :p;):D:p;)

OiOi

Nick - I don't understand the details but I gather from a variety of disappointed Caterham Classic owners posts on Blatchat that getting much more than 120bhp from the 1600 VX is difficult and is clearly a completely different proposition from the 1800 and 2000cc units.

Just to confirm, I have the 1.6 16v engine in my car, currently producing about 185bhp but capable of a lot more with a new pair of cams and a re-map, although realisitically I don't think it's necessary other than for pub bragging rights.

f**k me im right again it seems there's nothing like flogging a dead horse  :p  bike engines are toss so are zetec's how many times do i have to say it ,and could i have your hyabusa engine for a starter motor for my lotus engine  :arse:  :suspect:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  bike engines when will you all learn  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  

I don't think it's necessary other than for pub bragging rights.

Don’t underestimate that one Nick its what keeps the 2000cc Vx boys going after all how many have more than 270bhp and they all like to tell you that the Vx will tune to 300+ you know  :p

I don't think it's necessary other than for pub bragging rights.

Don’t underestimate that one Nick its what keeps the 2000cc Vx boys going after all how many have more than 270bhp and they all like to tell you that the Vx will tune to 300+ you know  :p

*shrugs*

The car is quick enough on most trackdays I've done without ending up in a situation where you're constantly picking your way through traffic.  So I don't really see the need for more power right now, although it would be nice to crack the 200bhp barrier.

I'm also a bit protective when it comes to the engine and I'm not really inclined to strip it down for no good reason.  It's running like a little sewing machine and, when I did a leakdown test recently, the *worst* one showed only 4% leakage - if I can avoid taking it apart then I will.

Yes, I could make it more powerful, but sorting out the nut behind the wheel would make the car quicker...

The SBD 1600cc Westfield - Brighton Speed Trials 2002

256 BHP - 161 lb/ft Torque - ¼ Mile - 10.87 seconds @ 129 MPH

How many BEC out there would like to go to Brighton Speed Trials next year and see if they could better the SBD car. I dont think that even with two engines you do better than that. ;)

I might be up for that challenge in my slightly modified megabusa ;)   (in another one off engine)

Ric