Speed fines to go up

neilb

Nowt wrong with EU directives

The EU Regulation for the proper radius of a banana really does exist  :bangshead: I have the reg. number somewhere.  And we've all contributed to the tens of thousands of pounds that it took to draw up that regulation.

I could bang on about this for hours, but basically the EU is stuck in the '70s, trying to ensure that Sweden is competitive with Italy etc.  If one Member State has an advantage then the bring in regs to drag us all down to the lowest common denominator.  In the meantime, the Yanks, the Chinese and the Indians are beating the f**k out of us.  That's the real world - the EU should be ensuring that Europe remains competitive in world terms.  Instead, they break every Member States' legs so that none can run faster than the other, allowing the rest of the world to leave us behind, and the whole shebang costs billions.  You can blow the Channel Tunnel up tomorrow for me.

:bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• Bananaman

• Martin Keene

• david.c

I've got a response to my email as well...

Dear Mr Keene

Consultation Paper on Compensation & Support for Victims of Crime

Thank you for your correspondence about the Consultation Paper issued on 12 January.

We appreciate the time and trouble you have taken to make your views known. I can assure you that all responses will be analysed at the end of the consultation period.  As you can imagine, we have received a large number of responses already and unfortunately it is not possible to reply to individual points that have been raised.  However, we will be publishing a synopsis of the views that have been expressed in due course.

I would like to stress that Ministers are committed to listening to the views of the public and that your comments will be taken seriously.  The Consultation Paper outlines a wide range of proposals that are designed to offer better support to victims of crime.  No decisions will be taken on which measures to take forward until the consultation period is complete.    

Yours sincerely,

Mike Carson  

Victims Unit

hmmm... now where have I seen that before? :bangshead:  :D

The EU Regulation for the proper radius of a banana really does exist

This really is going TOOOOOOOOOOOO far.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :D

Along the lines of my post of yesterday suggesting that there's more to this criminal compensation levy than meets the eye, I note that a Blatchat contributor heard it described on television as a "Blunkett Distraction Grenade". The technique depends on the grenade exploding in the air drawing the populace's attention away from other, more dangerous things for Our Beloved Leader.  :arse:

I din't know if that's it but I've seen this kind of feint from local government on a number of occasions. If we get too excited about this one aspect of speed cameras we have, ipso facto, accepted their existence as a given.  :0

No mention of cameras in  either of the two letters from Martin or myself......

Besides, I think the tide is gradually turning on cameras, their use, and how the fines generated are distributed, IMHO.......

No that's right Blatman. I'm a bit concerned that we are expected to protest about the idea of these levies so that they can appear to moderate the proposal(as per top-up fees) and leave us with something that we wouldn't have accepted had it been wheeled out undisguised. Call me paranoid if you like. ???

I understand, I mistakenly thought you were focussing on speed cameras, rather than the rest of the proposals in the consultation document.

It definitely could be a distraction grenade, but I think those of us who have learnt to recognise them are growing in number too..........

Found this:

Darling fury at car fine top-up

ANGRY transport chief Alistair Darling has put the brakes on yet another bid to penalise Britain's motorists.

He has blasted out of the water a proposal by Home Secretary David Blunkett to impose a £5 surchage on top of speeding fines—to be used to fund compensation for crime victims.

Mr Darling was furious that he had not been properly consulted about the scheme—but would be expected to administer it and defend it in public.

Mr Blunkett unveiled his new stealth tax plan on Tuesday.

A Cabinet colleague told the News of the World: "I don't think even the Prime Minister knew much about this one. It took everybody by surprise—especially Alistair.

"He was livid. The Department of Transport would have had to administer a large part of the scheme and then take all the abuse.

Fund

"He already knows that speed cameras and parking fines are fiercely unpopular."

Mr Blunkett wanted to establish a victims' fund for England and Wales that would help offset the mounting costs of payments from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme.

He believed that around £17million a year could be raised from the surcharges.

Tony Blair was ambushed by furious callers protesting about the plans when he hosted a radio phone-in on Tuesday.

He admitted there would need to be more consultation about the plans before they were turned into law.

But at the same time, Whitehall officials have been ordered to quietly drop the plans.

It's the second bit of the story found here. The first part of the story doesn't make for a great read though........