2020 Speed Series regulations - draft copy

John Loudon - Sponsorship Liaison

I think that there will always be winners and losers when any changes get introduced. 

Anything that encourages new blood into the sport and/or widens it’s appeal has to be applauded. 

Graham makes a good point about single entrant rounds - what’s the plan there?

I have had a little think over the last day or so and the biggest change is for those guys in classes C,D,E,F as they were in the middle no-mans land regards on the day running you either run a heavly modified car but with 1B tyres to run in road going or if you have 1C's  ZZR's Etc on then you are against the slick shod boys.

7 hours ago, Howard said:

Can you not embrace the change with a positive outlook?  I for one felt the Speed Series was becoming stale and I suspect I'm not the only one.  It needed more than a few tweaks here and there. I find the changes rejuvenating.

Glad you think this is what is needed as i put you in that well developed no mans land area= step back road tyres and run in W2 or embrace the slick and go to W4, I really think this will help competition.

Is there anyway of running this years results against the proposed changes and see if John H still comes out as champion if he does then the system works. I may have a go @Tigger @Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary do either of you have a master excel sheet that I can play with for this years results so i dont have to copy them all from the results page.

the ramblings of a sleep deprived father

cheers  

5 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Graham makes a good point about single entrant rounds - what’s the plan there?

some would say. that person made the effort to attend so that person gets the reward. I agree there needs to be something written into the reg either no min entry for max points or min of say 2 entrants

5 minutes ago, syman84 said:

Is there anyway of running this years results against the proposed changes and see if John H still comes out as champion if he does then the system works

I may be naive... but I want to believe the SSOT has put the system to test with previous results, and is, at least, coherent...

However, I would not expect John H to become champion on the new regulations. This championship is not about being the fastest, is not about beating direct competition... is about being in the right class and have the right car for this class. New regs, would more than likely bring you a new winner... Never forget that... because you all seem to don't take this in account.

Regs will never be fair, and will always be a mathematical workaround said Regs.

We don't compete against each other, we compete against a written book of facts and times... (at least until now) new regs seems to partially amend this.

the next big step, is to heavily cut down in events. 30 events, only 10 score... this is mad. You can have guys competing for the win that have never meet each other on a competitive day, and this is unacceptable for me. However is the price to pay to have a race day every weekend somewhere in the country if you want, and to have a nice spread on uk's geography.

Championship will need cut down to 12 weekends, and 8 scores to count... 4 to drop (not to attend).

The Overall numbers of the Speed series, would probably be cut down,  but at least, you would  have 20-30 Westfields on each competitive weekend. Now is, unfortunately too spread, and is sad to run a series that has an average of 3 or 4 attendants for meeting.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, syman84 said:

that person made the effort to attend so that person gets the reward

This is another concept that needs striking from our mind.

series are called SPEED series. Not "attendance series", not "I'm a crap driver but I was the only one and got the max score" series...

A speed championship should not reward Attendance, mileage, weather, economic investment... No... it should reward being fast!

1 hour ago, syman84 said:

some would say. that person made the effort to attend so that person gets the reward.

54 minutes ago, maurici said:

A speed championship should not reward Attendance, mileage, weather, economic investment... No... it should reward being fast!

Discuss 😁

I’ve only ever done a single round so my view is from “a slow novice entrant looking to give it a go in a rather non-competitive car” - I think the “Speed Series” should reward fast drivers. 

• Like 1

I don't want to get too heavily involved in the debate here, but just one thought from me. We have fewer competitors than we used to have just a few years ago, and in particular this last season, fewer novices taking part. So if we have fewer competitors, doesn't it make sense to have fewer classes? Otherwise, we end up having competitors "winning" their class when they are maybe the only competitor to have completed 10 events in that class. In that event, who are they actually "beating" in their class?

I want to make clear, that my post is Far from trying to critizise SSOT for their work...

I'm only stating the facts of how the Spirit of the Speed Series is written, and you guys have done a brave move to -at least try- mitigate the flaws of it... and I'm clarifying this because -and Ill repeat it again- Think the spirit of the whole championship is wrong, but this is a whole different matter.

However, I think -regardless of all the flaws flagged by graham- the move is in a good direction. It will encourage at least a more direct competition within the class rather to win in a "no other man class" like happened several times, and will cut down the "class purpose build cars" witch is one of the ways of doing a mathematical workaround the regs.

Also, regarding the regs and the advantages... It happens too often that drivers with a fully roadgoing car will beat purpose built sprint cars, guys with Toyo beating cars with ZZr on the day (or at least being really close) and even in some wet events, propper drivers beating "all time contenders" to the overall championship because of their skillset...

Therefore, the car equity is in a whole second plane for me, let alone the gearboxes or the end power. If we ever get to the day that we all are in within half a second to each other, then the car will become a factor, but, not now.

• Like 1

Lots of valid and balanced points for/against the new set of regs.

However...

The regs are decided and set in stone pending MSA approval. Lets see how they go for a season of racing and resume discussions next October with the benefit of hindsight :) Generally we are making hypothetical cases that may play out differently in reality. Anyone who made points now, for or against, that turn out to be correct are welcome to say to me "I told you so" at the 2020 awards evening 🤣

• Like 2

To be fair to the SSOT I dont think the drop off in entrants has anything to do with them.

It is down to , IMHO, the relentless assult on us by the MSUK, combined with the big increase in entry costs and all the clobber we need to wear.

The new class system does reflect the lower entry numbers

But it probably means any cars running in CDEF spec will have little chance of overall honours

I am still a fan of the TT system as it rewards fast driving in any car regardless of the number of competitors

It does seem to me that for instance Terry and Matt could be battling it out, trading hundreths, breaking National records etc  BUT score no more points than me driving my car up the Hill in reverse!

14 minutes ago, woodman said:

driving my car up the Hill in reverse!

I'd pay to see this in a competitive event :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tkm_dave said:

I'd pay to see this in a competitive event :)

I bet he'd be pretty quick as well.........by comparison to anyone else attempting it!😄

17 minutes ago, woodman said:

It does seem to me that for instance Terry and Matt could be battling it out, trading hundreths, breaking National records etc  BUT score no more points than me driving my car up the Hill in reverse!

This happened with the TT scoring system too.

I don't think there is a perfect way to do it!

Pembrey now likely to be 6th and 7th June 2020 but might change!!!!!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

Pembrey now likely to be 6th and 7th June 2020 but might change!!!!!!!

i hope it stays these dates as i cant o the weekend before