2020 Speed Series regulations - draft copy

John Loudon - Sponsorship Liaison

On behalf of the SSOT,  please find attached a copy of the draft regulations for the 2020 Speed Series.  The SSOT have made a conscious effort to post these as early as possible to enable people to see and understand the 2020 changes. The regulations have been produced after many hours of review and discussion by the SSOT and unless there are any obvious mistakes they are final and will be submitted to Motorsport UK for early approval.

Also attached are an explanation of the regulation changes.

2020 WSCC draft Speed Series regulations.pdf

Explanation to 2020 Speed Series Regulation changes.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks to all for the hard work which has clearly gone on! :t-up:

To me, it looks like the main changes are...

- Target times have gone in favour of a system where the fastest car on the day in the class scores 100 points, then others slower than this time get scored on a pro-rata / percentage based system.

- There are now only 4 classes (plus invitational Class G):

W1: Small engine, road legal with MOT, 1A/1B tyres

W2: Large engine, road legal with MOT, 1A/1B tyres

W3: Small engine, comply with Mod Prod S.13 regs, any tyres

W4: Large engine, comply with Mod Prod S.13 regs, any tyres

- Sprint Award has gone and been replaced with the Hillclimb Award, which is only for hillclimbs (ie. circuit events do not count).

Is that right? If so, I think that's a really good step forward :yes:

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, AdamR said:

Thanks to all for the hard work which has clearly gone on! :t-up:

To me, it looks like the main changes are...

- Target times have gone in favour of a system where the fastest car on the day in the class scores 100 points, then others slower than this time get scored on a pro-rata / percentage based system.

- There are now only 4 classes (plus invitational Class G):

W1: Small engine, road legal with MOT, 1A/1B tyres

W2: Large engine, road legal with MOT, 1A/1B tyres

W3: Small engine, comply with Mod Prod S.13 regs, any tyres

W4: Large engine, comply with Mod Prod S.13 regs, any tyres

Is that right? If so, I think that's a really good step forward :yes:

Pretty much yes. There is also a document outlining the changes

• Thanks 1

Yes that's correct

2 minutes ago, John said:

Pretty much yes. There is also a document outlining the changes

Cheers John, saw that extra file now!

Also notes to point out:-

1) First year of entry is free for newcomers subject to club membership

2) There will be a combined membership and Speed Series registration option for both existing competitors available online at membership renewal time.

3) Instant combined membership and Speed Series registration signups for new competitors at events

Please take note of the reduced combined membership / Speed Series registration fees

• Terry Everall pinned and unpinned this topic

Thanks for early sight.

I have been unable to commit to competion the last couple of seasons - From a personal perspective, although still more lenient than other clubs, it is disappointing that the qualification for Novice has changed which will definitely rule me out of competing. 

Regardless of me being eligible for Novice (I have had my time there to be fair) It's a shame there's not more to try and encourage Novice participation as there was Only 2 Novices did *6 rounds with only 4 competing in total . It's a nice gesture but I do not think SS entry fee will be the deciding incentive when 6 rounds is still a big commitment resources wise even when one is hooked! From my involvement with members, getting the regular road Westfield on track will take more. & Without more sprint newbies where is the long term future of the SS??

With 4 out of 9 2019 classes won where more rounds competed in, Large changes were required to keep Class competion valid.

So well done, it will be interesting to see how these impact in 2020 and what engines have advantage. Should definitely be more in class competion

BUT BIG BIG thanks to SSOT, without you're commitment there wouldn't be any SS to start with!

1 hour ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

Please take note of the reduced combined membership / Speed Series registration fees

Renewed my membership 3 days ago... im the lucky one!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Question.... re the scoring....

if there are other westfields competing at an event, but these are not wscc speed series competitors, are their times used in the calculation of the points?.... or are the points awarded based only on the wscc competitor times...?

Non Speed Series cars do not count

Thankyou for the early look at the 2020 regs. This will be my first year of competition and already looking forward to it. Running as a novice in W2. Just updating the car with my head in the blue book every day . 

• Like 1

I think the reduction of classes will breed competition and make it all together better. Thanks to all who have put this together I think it’s a very positive move 

cheers

jez 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Rogers79 said:

I think the reduction of classes will breed competition and make it all together better. Thanks to all who have put this together I think it’s a very positive move 

cheers

jez 

Glad your keeping the car now 

• Like 1